• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Andy Lanning undercuts ebayer reselling a "free" sketch

79 posts in this topic

How come artists don't sell their own sketches on ebay? I've never seen one that did that.

They used to. There are issues with selling non-licensed art. Comic companies cracked down on artists selling art with their characters on them 5-10 years ago so people stopped doing it.

They used to. There are issues with selling non-licensed art. Comic companies cracked down on artists selling art with their characters on them 5-10 years ago so people stopped doing it.

Byrne gets $500-$5000+ per commission, and he ain't doing Next Men. :)

Peace,

Chip

Weird I see OA Byrne pages selling for under $200 all the time-I guess it depends on what people want

Peace,

Chip

Taking private commissions is different than selling on ebay. Comic companies have always looked the other way on professional artists selling drawings of their characters priavtely. That won't change (Marvel said as much recently in the Friedrich case.) If they dealt with ebay differently 5-10 years ago I guess they feel that need; it is their business after all.

Weird I see OA Byrne pages selling for under $200 all the time-I guess it depends on what people want

Yeah, not for the stuff people crave. I got a random WW page for less than $200. Good luck finding that kind of price for FF or X-Men.

What about artists selling OA pages on ebay-that's obviously allowed I think...

Also what if artist gets a third party to sell his sketches on ebay would that be allowed?

[font:Book Antiqua]Who is Andy Lanning..?[/font]

(shrug)

[font:Book Antiqua]I watch the clip,

and still I don't have idea who Andy Lanning is.

I cannot even name who the actor in your clip is

( I know I have see him somewhere).

"Gene Simmons: 'Rock Is Finally Dead'"

[/font]

Peace,

Chip

Taking private commissions is different than selling on ebay. Comic companies have always looked the other way on professional artists selling drawings of their characters priavtely. That won't change (Marvel said as much recently in the Friedrich case.) If they dealt with ebay differently 5-10 years ago I guess they feel that need; it is their business after all.

Yeah, private commissions are treated differently than pre-drawn sketches listed for sale using the trademarked name as a selling point on ebay. That's really the thing that's frowned upon.

(shrug)

To repeat myself from earlier in the thread, he's one of the architects of the modern cosmic Marvel universe. He was part of the team that rebooted Nova and then parlayed that gig into the ability to craft the new Guardians of the Galaxy (as in- the movie team.) He's a big reason why the Marvel cosmic stuff is hot, driving movie plots and getting people hunting freakin' Warlock appearances. Until the light went on at Marvel, he and Dan Abnett were basically the stewards of this stuff and did a great job at revitalizing a series of characters that I thought were long buried.

I think it is a safe assumption, that the guy that was lucky enough to get the free sketch done, probably gave a song and dance to convince Lanning he was a big fan...or for their kid...or some other nonsense.

I'm not as big a collector of sketches as a lot of people on these boards, but I have personally commissioned a couple dozen sketches, at shows directly with the artists, over the last couple years. Free sketches, on a blank comic, are pretty rare for any artist that is at all established.

I guess it is his property to do with what he chooses, once he receives it. Even if he misled the artist in some way to get a freebie. However it is in poor taste, to flip it...right after the show.

What can you do, some people are . (shrug)

(shrug)

To repeat myself from earlier in the thread, he's one of the architects of the modern cosmic Marvel universe. He was part of the team that rebooted Nova and then parlayed that gig into the ability to craft the new Guardians of the Galaxy (as in- the movie team.) He's a big reason why the Marvel cosmic stuff is hot, driving movie plots and getting people hunting freakin' Warlock appearances. Until the light went on at Marvel, he and Dan Abnett were basically the stewards of this stuff and did a great job at revitalizing a series of characters that I thought were long buried.

This... and he is also known as an inker for Marvel but he can churn out some pretty cool sketches at cons. Basically he just cracks his knuckles, sets up an iPad for reference and takes requests for anything. When I met him at Infinity and Beyond he was already talking to a buddy over some coffee so I joined them as we were there well over an hour before the signing. He's a really nice guy and very approachable, don't have a bad word to say about him. This whole thing is a bit strange because I overheard the subject of eBay come up in discussions later on that day and he didn't really seem to care much about stuff getting sold on there. I imagine just like with anyone else the winds can change on any given day... maybe it just takes a few fans not making the cut in his line and being turned away to instigate a reaction like this when flippers got a spot instead.

Having said that I don't have anything against people selling what they get. I often consider what I could part with if there is an expensive piece I am bidding on and con sketches or freebies would lose out to published pieces. Chances are though that is going to be a year or more down the line.

What about artists selling OA pages on ebay-that's obviously allowed I think...

Also what if artist gets a third party to sell his sketches on ebay would that be allowed?

OA is very much allowed. The pages are the byproduct of a work-for-hire agreement (which is by nature a legit use of the characters) and the pages are given back to the artist to do as they see fit.

If you were really looking to sell sketches on eBay a third party would be the way to go. Many artists already have relationships with art dealers so this goes on now in exactly that way (although if I were an artist I wouldn't abuse that channel)

Being a professional artist is about selling your art and making a living. I will never understand the concept behind being butthurt and offended about someone selling something you gave them for free. If you don't like it, charge for it, STFU and GBTW. :screwy:

Being a professional artist is about selling your art and making a living. I will never understand the concept behind being butthurt and offended about someone selling something you gave them for free. If you don't like it, charge for it, STFU and GBTW. :screwy:
That's exactly what he will likely do now. The enterprising flipper who values profit over dignity just murdered the man's generosity toward fans. In five years Lanning will be the guy running a blog about how comic fans are, and he'll be right, for the most part. Too bad.