• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CHURCH COPY ACTION COMICS #1

157 posts in this topic

Oh, from what I heard the MH Action 1 has the name "church" written on the cover. So when we see it we'll know it.

That's true.

Steve, how many Mile Highs are you aware of that have "Church" written on them? I was under the impression that the only books with that reference were the New Adventure 26 and a pre-hero More Fun.

Very very few.......

I'm not sure how "outgoing" the dentist is, but I've certainly heard he's a nice guy. I've now heard conflicting reports about how "out there" he is in terms of being actively involved with comics... but you're the second or third person to tell me about his appearances at local shows. I doubt I'd ever approach him unless introduced by someone else... I imagine he doesn't want people coming up to him to drool over him and tell him what a god he is for picking up the Mile High Action 1 or something.

...all the more reason to come to Tysons this Sunday.

Steve, how many Mile Highs are you aware of that have "Church" written on them? I was under the impression that the only books with that reference were the New Adventure 26 and a pre-hero More Fun.

I thought I heard somewhere that the books Church bought second-hand often had his name written on them. Something about him calling a book store about buying comic back issues, asking for them to be held for him, and the book store employee denoting this by writing his name on the books.

"Fishler said that it was about a 9.2 and Steve B. said it would probably grade out somewhere between a 9.0 and a 9.4."

Just for clarification:

I thought I said: It would grade out AT LEAST 9.0-9.4

I have never graded that book, for all I know it could grade out 9.6 or better confused-smiley-013.gif

"Fishler said that it was about a 9.2 and Steve B. said it would probably grade out somewhere between a 9.0 and a 9.4."

Just for clarification:

I thought I said: It would grade out AT LEAST 9.0-9.4

I have never graded that book, for all I know it could grade out 9.6 or better confused-smiley-013.gif

As I recall the conversation, which we had as we were walking outside of Moscone Center with Povertyrow (who was talking about old restoration ads touting "trimming for that MINT look!") on the way to the W Hotel bar, it went like this:

Me: Have you seen the Church copy of Action #1?

You: Yes, I have.

Me: Awesome. Can you tell me what you think it would grade out at if you guys graded it? You know, just a general range?

You: Somewhere between 9.0 and 9.4.

That is as close to exact as I recall the conversation, and I have a pretty good recollection of such things. (Not to mention the fact that we were discussing the most important book in the hobby, so the conversation was burned into my brain. cloud9.gif) From the way you said it and in the context of our discussion, I understood that you hadn't actually sat down with the book in the grading room to grade it and that this was just a loose estimate. Lord knows that I've eyeballed books and given them one estimate of a grade range and then reached a higher final grade outside of that range after a full examination of the book. I certainly am not going to pin you down on this statement if you ever do grade the book and give it a 9.6. It isn't like there's a better copy anywhere, so it kind of gets academic at that level as far as I'm concerned. confused-smiley-013.gif

And just as an aside, I think Steve Fishler said once on these forums that he would grade it 9.2. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

> Steve, how many Mile Highs are you aware of that have "Church" written on

> them? I was under the impression that the only books with that reference were

> the New Adventure 26 and a pre-hero More Fun.

I posted this back in 2003 - noone followed up but I'd still be very interested in more information:

"[...] I find it interesting that several other Church More Fun's from right around this time are somewhat unusual. #33 (lot 7000 in Heritage's March 2002 auction) is a second hand copy (marked "//"), and #29 (most recently offered by Heritage this March as lot 5953) and #37 (lot 2780 in Greg Manning's September 2001 auction) both have "D" and "church" written on them (the only two copies in the entire run where I have seen this). Earlier church copies either have no inscription (14, 15, 24) or other second hand markings (#16 - currently offered by ComicLinkExpress). The earliest "D" inscription I have seen is on #28."

In an early 90s Christie's or Sotheby's auction there was another (post-hero) "Church" More Fun with an unusual "C" on the cover.

heres what Im curious about: Should the Church copy actually turn out to BE the worlds best copy (and we are 99% sure it is) do you think it would or should be worth more if its a 9.4 or 9.6 rather than a still imopressive 9.2? I dont, but in the current "multiples" climate where a 9.4 is considered worth 2x a 9.2, I think most people WOULD value it higher as a 9.4.

To me, the BEST copy of the BEST book is worth the same no matter WHAT numerical grade CGC calls it. Especially for an Action #1 where the second best copy is probably only an 8.5 so even a lowly 9.2 is head and shoulders above it. Anyone else agree?

(also for the sake of argument toss out the fact that it just aint for sale at any price)

heres what Im curious about: Should the Church copy actually turn out to BE the worlds best copy (and we are 99% sure it is) do you think it would or should be worth more if its a 9.4 or 9.6 rather than a still imopressive 9.2? I dont, but in the current "multiples" climate where a 9.4 is considered worth 2x a 9.2, I think most people WOULD value it higher as a 9.4.

To me, the BEST copy of the BEST book is worth the same no matter WHAT numerical grade CGC calls it. Especially for an Action #1 where the second best copy is probably only an 8.5 so even a lowly 9.2 is head and shoulders above it. Anyone else agree?

gossip.gifThere's another HG Action 1 rumored to exist around the same grade according to various dealers.

gossip.gifThere's another HG Action 1 rumored to exist around the same grade according to various dealers.

we've discussed this a few times here, but no details have ever been put forth. What do you know about this other copy?

I haven't seen it but I believe Fisher has. He said something about seeing it quite a few years ago and it hasn't resurfaced since. Somebody will have to dig up his old post he said something more. I also seem to remember other stories.... from Carter maybe??? about a HG copy?

I haven't seen it but I believe Fisher has. He said something about seeing it quite a few years ago and it hasn't resurfaced since. Somebody will have to dig up his old post he said something more. I also seem to remember other stories.... from Carter maybe??? about a HG copy?

I've heard much the same thing, basically "there's another 9.+ non-pedigree Action 1. It sold a while ago." End of info.

I imagine he doesn't want people coming up to him to drool over him and tell him what a god he is for picking up the Mile High Action 1 or something.

Well, I guess you are going to have to double drool or even triple drool because Dave didn't just pick up the Church Action #1, he also picked up the entire Church run from issue #1 through to issue #22 at the same time. 893whatthe.gif

I've heard much the same thing, basically "there's another 9.+ non-pedigree Action 1. It sold a while ago." End of info.

if this is true, it will be interesting to say the least if this "no-name" copy is equal or higher in grade than the Church copy... If say they were both graded at 9.2, would the no-name suddenly be worth 2 to 4 million? or would the Church copy suddenly be worth a bunch less than we expect??

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

if this is true, it will be interesting to say the least if this "no-name" copy is equal or higher in grade than the Church copy... If say they were both graded at 9.2, would the no-name suddenly be worth 2 to 4 million? or would the Church copy suddenly be worth a bunch less than we expect??

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Just MHO, but if there were two Action Comics # 1 in NM- 9.2, one is the Church copy the other is non-pedigree, I don't believe there would be a loss of value for either copy. There would just be two NM- Action # 1's.

That being said, I believe The Church copy would be the more desireable, due to it's history.

Again, JMHO!