• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CHURCH COPY ACTION COMICS #1

157 posts in this topic

Bradley - - where did you get the 8.5 copy from?? The one with the rusty staples??

gossip.gifhttp://www.bipcomics.com/showcase/fakes/

A nice guide on how to distinguish the real Action Comics # 1 from the many reprints.

yay.gif

In a roundabout way, this answers my question in the grading section about Overstreet/CGC maximum grade for rusty staples. Interesting.

Of course, it's always dangerous to extrapolate from whatever grade CGC chooses to assign an Action #1 (e.g. the 2.5)

Bradley - - where did you get the 8.5 copy from?? The one with the rusty staples??

gossip.gifhttp://www.bipcomics.com/showcase/fakes/

A nice guide on how to distinguish the real Action Comics # 1 from the many reprints.

yay.gif

In a roundabout way, this answers my question in the grading section about Overstreet/CGC maximum grade for rusty staples. Interesting.

Of course, it's always dangerous to extrapolate from whatever grade CGC chooses to assign an Action #1 (e.g. the 2.5)

That's also a perfect example of why the anti-restoration zeal in the hobby is sometimes bad for books. Letting that copy walk around with a rusty staple that will continue to damage the book simply because the hobby won't stand for even the most justified conservation efforts price-wise is a damned shame.

That's also a perfect example of why the anti-restoration zeal in the hobby is sometimes bad for books. Letting that copy walk around with a rusty staple that will continue to damage the book simply because the hobby won't stand for even the most justified conservation efforts price-wise is a damned shame.

You are correct! What a dis-service to this book, a true shame! sign-rantpost.gif

DOES ANY ONE HAVE A SCAN OF THE CHURCH COPY AND IS THAT COPY THE NEAR MINT COPY EVERYONE IS ALWAYS REFERRING TO!

I've never seen a scan, but here's a cut-off picture of it from the opening of the Diamond Galleries. Can anyone tell me which pedigree copies the other books are? I think the Detective #27 is the Allentown copy? confused.gif

church-action1.jpg

All the books on display at the opening were Geppis comics... not the Dentists. Geppi ended up putting them on sale over the weekend, too. Dealers and collectors were invited to the Opening of the Vault on Saturday. From the stories Ive heard., it was a magical morning or excitement, greed, wisjh fulfillment and envy.

FFB - - who told you that the Church copy was there that weekend.... or was this a special exhibit of the Dentists books?? If this picture is actually from the Opening party, its NOT the Church copy.

I don't remember anymore. I thought it was Rip who posted that picture way back when, but I'm not sure. I believe that it was Timely who said that the Church copy of Action #1 was on display at the Diamond opening, in addition to whatever other books Geppi had on display there. If you look at the plaque under the Action #1, it looks like it says "(Church)" to the right of the comic title. I can't quite make it out though, so I'm not sure.

I opened it in Photoshop and read it too: it says - - "Origin and first appearance of Superman by SIegel and Shuster." The others are similar, with no mention of pedigrees, just the significance of each comic. Makes sense since Geppis orig plan for the Gallery was to attract "civilians" to the hobby with a first class environment, and they would need education as to what each book WAQS, not what specific copy they were, right? He told me once he wanted to open a gallery on Madison Ave in NY near the other galleries of "fine art".... bur eventually did it right in his office at Diamond.

I opened it in Photoshop and read it too: it says - - "Origin and first appearance of Superman by SIegel and Shuster." The others are similar, with no mention of pedigrees, just the significance of each comic. Makes sense since Geppis orig plan for the Gallery was to attract "civilians" to the hobby with a first class environment, and they would need education as to what each book WAQS, not what specific copy they were, right? He told me once he wanted to open a gallery on Madison Ave in NY near the other galleries of "fine art".... bur eventually did it right in his office at Diamond.

You are reading the text underneath. I am talking about what's written right next to the "Action Comics #1" text. What does that say?