• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CHURCH COPY ACTION COMICS #1

157 posts in this topic

Do you know if there's a picture of it anywhere?

For what it is worth, the owner of the Church copy has not posted any images of his book and does not

plan to do so in the foreseeable future. I doubt if any scans were made of the book prior to his ownership. gossip.gif

If that's true, it sounds like the owner is trying to create a mystique around the book.

It's a shame he won't even provide a scan. Not that he has any responsibility to do so, but there's obviously a lot of interest in the HGC of Action #1, and there's really no downside to showing it off a bit, even anonymously.

Maybe he stores it at Fort Knox, and it's just too hard to get to. Or maybe he spilled a mocha latte on it, and he's too embarrassed to admit it.

how do you know that? Do you know who the owner is? When it sold last it made all kinds of news, but the owner was never identified...

You're confusing me...Harvey was responding to FFB's question about the Church Action 1, but it sounds like you're referring to the Church Detective 27. insane.gif

If that's true, it sounds like the owner is trying to create a mystique around the book.

It's a shame he won't even provide a scan. Not that he has any responsibility to do so, but there's obviously a lot of interest in the HGC of Action #1, and there's really no downside to showing it off a bit, even anonymously.

Maybe he stores it at Fort Knox, and it's just too hard to get to. Or maybe he spilled a mocha latte on it, and he's too embarrassed to admit it.

Or maybe he's just an average guy who doesn't know how to use a scanner or doesn't like the spotlight that owning one of the best books in the hobby draws to him.

Or maybe he's just an average guy who doesn't know how to use a scanner or doesn't like the spotlight that owning one of the best books in the hobby draws to him.

Nah. I'm sticking with the spilled mocha latte theory.

how do you know that? Do you know who the owner is? When it sold last it made all kinds of news, but the owner was never identified...

You're confusing me...Harvey was responding to FFB's question about the Church Action 1, but it sounds like you're referring to the Church Detective 27. insane.gif

youre right, I thought he (we) were still talking about teh Tec 27...

As for the Action #1, the Dentist knows he has it, top dealers and collectors know he has it, and if he ever wants to make a scan public, I guess he will.

But, does he really want to subject himself and his book to all kinds of scrutiny, serious and scurrilous lies, from a scan.

I wouldnt want a lot of yahoos saying

"its not so sharp"

and

"gee sure looks pressed to me - - look at the staples!!"

or

"I see color touch!!!"

who needs it!

Yes. I do know the owner. I asked him the question directly. His name has been mentioned on this board and I would also add that he does not like the publicity. That is why most of us know him by name but refer to him via a nickname.

That is correct.

As for the Action #1, the Dentist knows he has it, top dealers and collectors know he has it, and if he ever wants to make a scan public, I guess he will.

I was reading the thread linked to earlier in this thread about who owns some of the best collections out there, and it was said that the Dentist owns the Church Action #1, so I guess he sold it within the last year or so? So was the Dentist actually able to upgrade from the Church Action #1?

I presume the details of the deal were not disclosed... surely it would have been a record breaker.

I was reading the thread linked to earlier in this thread about who owns some of the best collections out there, and it was said that the Dentist owns the Church Action #1, so I guess he sold it within the last year or so? So was the Dentist actually able to upgrade from the Church Action #1?

I presume the details of the deal were not disclosed... surely it would have been a record breaker.

No, there was confusion in the thread. The sale was supposedly of the Detective #27, not the Action #1.

But, does he really want to subject himself and his book to all kinds of scrutiny, serious and scurrilous lies, from a scan.

I wouldnt want a lot of yahoos saying

"its not so sharp"

and

"gee sure looks pressed to me - - look at the staples!!"

or

"I see color touch!!!"

who needs it!

I agree with this completely ... who needs it! smile.gif With that said, I seriously appreciate all the cool books Jon has posted.

I was reading the thread linked to earlier in this thread about who owns some of the best collections out there, and it was said that the Dentist owns the Church Action #1, so I guess he sold it within the last year or so?

Nonsense. The Dentist (who got me my much prized copy of "The Big Book Of Fun Comics"), already turned down two million for his Action 1. He reckons it's a 9.8, and he'd never sell it.

he'd never sell it.

I presumed as much from what I'd heard over the years, but some confusion earlier in the thread led me to wonder if I missed a huge bit of news. Glad there are so many knowledgeable collectors around here to address the issue definitively.