• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CHURCH COPY ACTION COMICS #1

157 posts in this topic

I was reading the thread linked to earlier in this thread about who owns some of the best collections out there, and it was said that the Dentist owns the Church Action #1, so I guess he sold it within the last year or so?

Nonsense. The Dentist (who got me my much prized copy of "The Big Book Of Fun Comics"), already turned down two million for his Action 1. He reckons it's a 9.8, and he'd never sell it.

confused.gif Fishler said that it was about a 9.2 and Steve B. said it would probably grade out somewhere between a 9.0 and a 9.4.

I do believe that Dentist will never sell though. confused-smiley-013.gif I just wish he'd post a picture of it somewhere so that people could see it.

my understanding is that the Dentist's son is also a collector. So you will REALLY never see it on the market as I believe he has no intention of selling it either. I think that collection is staying together for a long time. As well it should. I imagine the Church Action #1 along with all the other books in that collection to be rediculously impressive.

DOES ANY ONE HAVE A SCAN OF THE CHURCH COPY AND IS THAT COPY THE NEAR MINT COPY EVERYONE IS ALWAYS REFERRING TO!

I've never seen a scan, but here's a cut-off picture of it from the opening of the Diamond Galleries. Can anyone tell me which pedigree copies the other books are? I think the Detective #27 is the Allentown copy? confused.gif

church-action1.jpg

I wasn't there in 1995 for the opening, but I did see the Diamond Galleries this past year. Truly spectacular. As a thank you for visiting they gave me a free Frazetta sketch!

I am kidding of course, but the stuff that they have is truly magnificent. At the end of the tour they took us to a storage room where the curator literally just pulled out an original animation cell from snow white with the queen and the apple. I nearly sh*t myself! I have never seen in all my life the equivalent of the depth and breadth of a collection across all genres of comics and sequential art.

I have about 55 shots from my tour there - let me see if I can't get around to posting them in a new thread in comics general later on today,

Props to Geppi and the Diamond crew for doing a damned good job of being the hobby's historians and promoters.

On a similar note, if anyone ever has the chance I highly recommend stopping by the Metropolis Gallery. To this day when I walk in there I am awe struck. They have the best collection of black and white comic art bar none and have simply incredible books!

DAM

DOES ANY ONE HAVE A SCAN OF THE CHURCH COPY AND IS THAT COPY THE NEAR MINT COPY EVERYONE IS ALWAYS REFERRING TO!

I've never seen a scan, but here's a cut-off picture of it from the opening of the Diamond Galleries. Can anyone tell me which pedigree copies the other books are? I think the Detective #27 is the Allentown copy? confused.gif

church-action1.jpg

I wasn't there in 1995 for the opening, but I did see the Diamond Galleries this past year. Truly spectacular. As a thank you for visiting they gave me a free Frazetta sketch!

I am kidding of course, but the stuff that they have is truly magnificent. At the end of the tour they took us to a storage room where the curator literally just pulled out an original animation cell from snow white with the queen and the apple. I nearly sh*t myself! I have never seen in all my life the equivalent of the depth and breadth of a collection across all genres of comics and sequential art.

I have about 55 shots from my tour there - let me see if I can't get around to posting them in a new thread in comics general later on today,

Props to Geppi and the Diamond crew for doing a damned good job of being the hobby's historians and promoters.

On a similar note, if anyone ever has the chance I highly recommend stopping by the Metropolis Gallery. To this day when I walk in there I am awe struck. They have the best collection of black and white comic art bar none and have simply incredible books!

DAM

I wonder how much drool they had to wipe off that showcase after the event was over. What a treat that must have been. 893applaud-thumb.gif

It would be really cool if Matt's book included a 50 greatest pedigree issues or something like that with some nice full page images. Too bad the dentist won't share.

That would actually be an interesting list to put together. The top 50 books in the hobby...

1. Edgar Church Action 1

2. Allentown Detective #27

3. Edgar Church Marvel #1

what else?

The Church All American #16? The Allentown Captain America #1, the Edgar Church Flash #1 are a couple of notables that have been up for air in recent years. Some of the top SA books would make it on that list as well. Sounds like a forum project...

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

my understanding is that the Dentist's son is also a collector. So you will REALLY never see it on the market as I believe he has no intention of selling it either. I think that collection is staying together for a long time. As well it should. I imagine the Church Action #1 along with all the other books in that collection to be rediculously impressive.

I think you're right, Brian. I've seen the Dentist and his son walking around some local shows more than once. Still haven't got up the nerve to chat with him (more due to the fact that he doesn't want the notariety than shyness on my part). With my luck, it'd go over worse than meeting Jim Starlin. boo.gif

Just for the record, he's a very nice guy. I've bought, sold, and traded books with him, and he's always been very pleasant and fair.

I've never heard a bad word about him, and he always looks "friendly". I have no interest in buying/trading/selling anything to/from him. I'd just like to meet him. Maybe I'll introduce myself next time I see him. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

It would be really cool if Matt's book included a 50 greatest pedigree issues or something like that with some nice full page images. Too bad the dentist won't share.

That would actually be an interesting list to put together. The top 50 books in the hobby...

1. Edgar Church Action 1

what else?

The Church All American #16? The Allentown Captain America #1, the Edgar Church Flash #1 are a couple of notables that have been up for air in recent years. Some of the top SA books would make it on that list as well. Sounds like a forum project...

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Sounds interesting. Would they have to be pedigree books to qualify? Or would "Tom Brulato's copy of Amazing Spider-Man #1 CGC 9.8" be enough of an identifier?

1. Edgar Church Action 1

what else?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Sounds interesting. Would they have to be pedigree books to qualify? Or would "Tom Brulato's copy of Amazing Spider-Man #1 CGC 9.8" be enough of an identifier?

I think it would have to be both pedigree and non-pedigree for a more representative survey, but we'd have to be somewhat specific for it to count. Your description would work. The problem area would be with non-pedigree ungraded books that don't have a public paper trail. "that 9+ Action 1 that rob heard about" wouldn't really cut it, I don't think.

If there's interest, I can post this to general and see if we can't get a few more people involved.

I would assume the Pay Copy of Marvel 1 would be on there....

1. Edgar Church Action 1

what else?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Just for the record, he's a very nice guy. I've bought, sold, and traded books with him, and he's always been very pleasant and fair.

Nearmint;

I can also certainly vouch for the fact that Dave is a real gentleman and a fair person to deal with. He goes out of his way to ensure that you are happy with your end of the deal.

He will also advise you against paying a particular asking price on one of his books if he feels that it is too high. As he said, he doesn't want you paying for his mistake if he happens to have paid too much for a particular book. thumbsup2.gif

Oh, from what I heard the MH Action 1 has the name "church" written on the cover. So when we see it we'll know it.

That's true.

Steve, how many Mile Highs are you aware of that have "Church" written on them? I was under the impression that the only books with that reference were the New Adventure 26 and a pre-hero More Fun.

I'm not sure how "outgoing" the dentist is, but I've certainly heard he's a nice guy. I've now heard conflicting reports about how "out there" he is in terms of being actively involved with comics... but you're the second or third person to tell me about his appearances at local shows. I doubt I'd ever approach him unless introduced by someone else... I imagine he doesn't want people coming up to him to drool over him and tell him what a god he is for picking up the Mile High Action 1 or something.