• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SUPERGIRL official TV show thread
3 3

2,562 posts in this topic

Perhaps there have been other references to him that I've missed, but ...

Spoiler

was Monday night the first, or was it at least the most overt, reference to Batman existing on this earth? Specificially, when James was concerned that he was not becoming the kind of hero he wanted, but instead more the kind of masked man who could frighten even people he's trying to protect, "the way Clark's friend does."  It actually takes place shortly after the clip posted by Bosco685, above.

Supergirl Casts Odette Annable as Reign, Season 3's Big Bad

supergirl-reign-annable-999994.jpg

Cloverfield and Pure Genius alum Odette Annable has joined the third-season cast of The CW's Supergirl in the role of Reign.

Warner Bros. Television confirms that "Reign will be the big bad of Season 3, as part of an exciting interpretation of the infamous World Killer storyline from the pages of the DC Comics."

"Greg [Berlanti] and I have wanted to work with Odette for years," said executive producer Andre Kreisberg. "We are beyond excited to have her join our cast in the scary, powerful and heartbreaking role of Reign."

This is one that's objectively and undoubtedly a Supergirl villain -- something that the show has often found in short supply as fans have been treated to shared Superman/Supergirl villains, or even just Superman villains reinvented for the TV show.

In case anyone hasn't seen the finale yet : SPOILER ALERT

As a whole, enjoyed season one way better. Season two began great, but declined for me when Cat left. Like the idea of storyline where Alex would have fallen for Maxwell Lord ( a road it seemed to be heading for in season 1), and he was a far more interesting character than a lot of the ones (adversaries)introduced in season two.

Too many characters coming and going, show seems more like a 'team' show than a solo characters: Kara's screen time and character development has suffered IMHO. 

Get Jimmy out of the costume and back as Kara's love interest. Way more chemistry than that Mon-El relationship. 

More C list villiains who can be built up (developed)and earn a reputation as Kara' adversaries (too many Superman enemies being used). 

Wasnt a fan of the outcome of the confrontation between Kara and Kal (and Superman would never say much of what he said to Kara in the closer). Very out of character. He is the most selfless and noblest of heroes .

Cat returning is a step in the right direction. And while I give season two a C + , I will check out season 3.

49 minutes ago, sagii said:

As a whole, enjoyed season one way better. Season two began great, but declined for me when Cat left. Like the idea of storyline where Alex would have fallen for Maxwell Lord ( a road it seemed to be heading for in season 1), and he was a far more interesting character than a lot of the ones (adversaries)introduced in season two.

Too many characters coming and going, show seems more like a 'team' show than a solo characters: Kara's screen time and character development has suffered IMHO. 

Get Jimmy out of the costume and back as Kara's love interest. Way more chemistry than that Mon-El relationship. 

More C list villiains who can be built up (developed)and earn a reputation as Kara' adversaries (too many Superman enemies being used). 

Wasnt a fan of the outcome of the confrontation between Kara and Kal (and Superman would never say much of what he said to Kara in the closer). Very out of character. He is the most selfless and noblest of heroes .

Cat returning is a step in the right direction. And while I give season two a C + , I will check out season 3.

I like your logic, except for the no chemistry between Mon-el and Kara...there seems to be chemistry, as they are now together in real life.

Maybe Jimmy was just a better actor, I don't love his new role either and I think they are wasting Win.

19 minutes ago, sagii said:

@skypinkblu :hi: Sha

Didnt know that about the actors off screen :whatthe: shows what I know about chemistry ( but then I'm still batting 100 , I struggled in Science in school) :D

http://comicbook.com/dc/2017/03/20/supergirl-melissa-benoist-chris-wood-real-life-couple

I'm sure it's (off screen romance) been pointed out earlier in the thread , but I don't always watch 'live'. I DVR the show and catch it when time permits among other shows I do the same for ( just finished watching the last two episodes this week). 

4 minutes ago, sagii said:

I'm sure it's (off screen romance) been pointed out earlier in the thread , but I don't always watch 'live'. I DVR the show and catch it when time permits among other shows I do the same for ( just finished watching the last two episodes this week). 

I don't think I've turned on the TV (other than news) since the Berk auction started, lol

2 hours ago, skypinkblu said:
3 hours ago, sagii said:

I like your logic, except for the no chemistry between Mon-el and Kara...there seems to be chemistry, as they are now together in real life.

Maybe Jimmy was just a better actor, I don't love his new role either and I think they are wasting Win.

Jimmy as Guardian is worst and most useless part of this show.  I didn't like Winn initially, but I think he's a reasonable groove now in his role.  The lesbian plotline feels forced, as did the Maxwell Lord potential romance with Alex.  (maybe she doesn't need romance? Is anyone clamoring for it?)  I thought the John/Megan 'romance' was more organic and more well done. 

I'm also very pro-Cat

@revat Welp, i think it's unanimous about Guardian :D You make a good point, not every character needs a romantic plotline, but i guess they felt because she is a major character it was necessary. But being that she's such a dedicated agent, it wouldn't be stretch to have made her a 'married to the work' type of individual.

1 minute ago, sagii said:

@revat Welp, i think it's unanimous about Guardian :D You make a good point, not every character needs a romantic plotline, but i guess they felt because she is a major character it was necessary. But being that she's such a dedicated agent, it wouldn't be stretch to have made her a 'married to the work' type of individual.

Obviously, one of the perils of a network drama is filling 20+ hourlong episodes per year.  And that leads to fluff storylines sometimes, as opposed to the tightness of the now-popular tighter more limited dramas (game of thrones, breaking bad, etc).  But some shows obviously do this better than others.  But it may to some extent have to do with the target market of a show like Supergirl vs a show like Arrow or Gotham.  Although I'm convinced Guardian is objectively despised by all markets.

SUPERGIRL Co-Creator Departs As The CW Promotes Two New Showrunners

Jessica Queller (Gossip Girl, The Carrie Diaries) and Robert Rovner (Dallas, Blood & Oil) joined Supergirl during its first season on CBS as co-executive producer and consulting producer, respectively.  With Supergirl co-creator Ali Adler (Glee, The New Normal) signing a new development deal to return to CBS, The CW has promoted Queller and Rovner to the ranks of show-runner.

They'll join Andrew Kreisgberg (Arrow, The Flash) and WB TV mainstays Greg Berlanti and Sarah Schechter as lead decision-makers on the Melissa Benoist-led superhero show.  It's possible Supergirl season 3 will mark a shift in tone with the leadership change.

We should have a clearer picture at this year's San Diego Comic-Con in July, where the DCTV universe typically rolls out the first trailers for the upcoming Fall season.

Laura Benanti Exits ‘Supergirl’; CW Recasts Role

laura-benanti-erica-durance.jpg?w=670&h=

Laura Benanti is saying goodbye to the CW’s “Supergirl.”

“Smallville” alum Erica Durance has been cast to take over Benanti’s role as Alura for the upcoming season. Benanti had played Alura since Season 1, when the show debuted on CBS.

“Unfortunately Laura, who Greg and I have worked with for years going back to ‘Eli Stone,’ was unable to continue in the role due to work commitments in New York,” executive producer Andrew Kreisberg said. “But we are so blessed that Erica has come aboard to offer her own interpretation of Kara’s mother. We had tremendous success with a former Lois Lane last season with Teri Hatcher. We know Erica will continue the proud tradition of legacy actors joining our shows and creating new and exciting takes on classic DC characters.”

Durance is best known for playing Lois Lane for six years on “Smallville,” and also recently wrapped up five seasons as the star of “Saving Hope.”

Edited by Bosco685

Melissa Benoist Shares Supergirl Season 3 BTS Photo

9CnOCdg.jpg

The cast and producers will take a break next week to make a trip to San Diego for this year’s Comic-Con International, but series star Melissa Benoist also had to cool down during the latest round of filming.

Benoist posted a picture to her Instagram page featuring Kara Danvers, in full costume, chilling out in a hot tub. Supergirl Season 3 is set to return to The CW later this fall with the character taking on Reign as the latest big bad.