• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Teenager has never read a comic but wants to start. Where should he begin?

73 posts in this topic

Y: The Last Man is a dystopian science fiction comic book series by Brian K. Vaughan and Pia Guerra published by Vertigo beginning in 2002. The series is about the seemingly only man who survives the apparent simultaneous death of every male mammal (barring the same man's pet monkey) on Earth. The series was published in sixty issues by Vertigo and collected in a series of ten paperback volumes (and later a series of five hardcover "Deluxe" volumes). The series's covers were primarily by J. G. Jones and Massimo Carnevale. The series received five Eisner Awards.

Terrific art. Interesting characters with great dialogue. Easy to follow. Humor, whit, wit, drama, suspense, action, mystery. Everything about this series makes it an easy referral to a new reader. Can't recommend it enough. :headbang:

Terrific art. Interesting characters with great dialogue. Easy to follow. Humor, whit, drama, suspense, action, mystery. Everything about this series makes it an easy referral to a new reader. Can't recommend it enough. :headbang:
plus it ends and he can then go on to the next one....

SAGA!

I'll go kinda old-school.

Get him Byrne's FF run. It's doesn't get any better than that.

Peace,

Chip

While personally I agree with this, for a newcomer to the FF, I think a lot of the charm of what Byrne did is lost without the perspective of having read the Kirby/Lee issues as well as the bronze age stuff inbetween.

As someone else already said, the EC stories are an excellent choice. I would add Gaiman's Sandman as well.

As long as we're talking Conan, can I recommend the Savage Sword magazine over the comic? Barry Windsor-Smith is an acquired taste, the kid may not take to it in time to get to the Buscema art. The painted covers on the magazine blow its comic counterpart out of the water. Also, Savage Sword has naked chicks, which should resonate with a teenager!

I don't think anyone mentioned the :idea: library :idea: yet.

Go to the library or bookstores and look at the back of the trades. Each trade usually gives you an idea of what the story is about on the back. Try reading the first 4 or 5 pages of a bunch of trades or floppies until you find something interesting.

Terrific art. Interesting characters with great dialogue. Easy to follow. Humor, whit, wit, drama, suspense, action, mystery. Everything about this series makes it an easy referral to a new reader. Can't recommend it enough. :headbang:

+1

I loved YTLM. Awesome right to the last page. If he likes the format and style, put him on Preacher afterwards.

+1

I loved YTLM. Awesome right to the last page. If he likes the format and style, put him on Preacher afterwards.

Preacher is a great recommendation as well or Saga. (thumbs u

Buy him the Planetary trades. If he doesn't like that, he won't like comics.

It's my favorite series but I wouldn't recommend it to someone that hasn't ever read a comic. It's a comic for (mostly) comic nerds. It helps to have knowledge of comics history.

I'd say the guy in question would prefer something fantastical...medieval...swords and sorcery type stuff. That or maybe sci-fi.

The guy isn't familiar with comics, so he didn't really mention favoring one particular genre. He just wants a captivating, well-written, comic.

I know this is rather obtuse, but the kid wasn't very specific when he made the request.

Elfquest. There's a large volume collecting the first (and best) story that's pretty cheap, from Dark Horse.

Savage Sword Of Conan. Actually any number of Conan stories from any publisher. I think that comic has beaten the odds and remained decent as a licensed product. There are reprint trades available of just about all of it, some for a good value.

Cerebus, the first phonebook would do.

Age Of Bronze.

Bone.

Teenager has never read a comic but wants to start. Where should he begin?

Kid is about 17 and wants a good story.

I don't even know where to begin, so I figured I might get some good ideas here in CG. Thanks in advance for your input!

Well, you could start simply with the finest illustrated run in comics; FF #45 - #102 (including FF annuals #5 & #6).

Of course, everything is downhill from there, so choose wisely. :shy: