• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

December Auction Madness! CLink and CC

95 posts in this topic

CGC 8.0 FF 1 sold for $42,500

Ouch, consignor took an 8K hit then ... (shrug)

Edit: Sad to see a stellar FF1 tumbling. But pricedynamics in the current market seem to be geared exclusively towards "pop-culture relevance" (i.e.: movie).

The true parameter for inherent value imho is "historical importance". Why has this parameter so little influence on pricing today? FF1 should rank up there with AF15 for sure.

Edit: Sad to see a stellar FF1 tumbling. But pricedynamics in the current market seem to be geared exclusively towards "pop-culture relevance" (i.e.: movie).

The true parameter for inherent value imho is "historical importance". Why has this parameter so little influence on pricing today? FF1 should rank up there with AF15 for sure.

Among the current generation of collector-speculators history may be their weakest subject. It's easier to understand a collectible generating market "heat" when it has current relevance (movie, TV, etc.) as a driving force. Historical importance is a much less predictable factor.

Another consideration: Big books in an auction may generate more dollars spent overall, but most bidders compete for books based on fixed budgets & priority interests. In an auction, it comes down to the last two people bidding. If either of those bidder's prioritized interests are divided, the final hammer price will end lower. My 2c

Among the current generation of collector-speculators history may be their weakest subject. It's easier to understand a collectible generating market "heat" when it has current relevance (movie, TV, etc.) as a driving force. Historical importance is a much less predictable factor.

Another consideration: Big books in an auction may generate more dollars spent overall, but most bidders compete for books based on fixed budgets & priority interests. In an auction, it comes down to the last two people bidding. If either of those bidder's prioritized interests are divided, the final hammer price will end lower. My 2c

In other words, ya nevah know! :D

I agree with DM that on higher priced books there's bound to be volatility in auction prices given the small number of people chasing them. If a person or two secures a satisfactory copy and drops out of the bidding in future auctions, the price decline can be significant. Particularly with a book like FF 1, which isn't near the top of too many people's lists to begin with.

I agree with MZ, though. that FF 1 has some potential both on historical grounds as the book that to my mind began the SA, and given the possibility that the movies might be successfully rebooted.

If a book has been upgraded or pressed and a potential bidder who doesn't like that sort of thing drops out, that also affects price.

As does eye appeal (don't know what this copy looked like).

In other words, ya nevah know! :D

I agree with DM that on higher priced books there's bound to be volatility in auction prices given the small number of people chasing them. If a person or two secures a satisfactory copy and drops out of the bidding in future auctions, the price decline can be significant. Particularly with a book like FF 1, which isn't near the top of too many people's lists to begin with.

I agree with MZ, though. that FF 1 has some potential both on historical grounds as the book that to my mind began the SA, and given the possibility that the movies might be successfully rebooted.

There will be a successful FF film at some point, but right now it seems like that could be years off. Tine will tell but a lot of people are feeling very skeptical that the upcoming film is intentionally disrespectful to the source material to such an extent that it seems like the studio is partly motivated by a desire to flip off Marvel, while the director seems determined to make this a sequel to his previous superhero film and considers it a burden that he has to use the FF characters at all.

btw I love the book and think that without it there might not be a multi-billion market for the superhero genre.

But all the strange behavior from FOX re the new film series makes it (for now) a bittersweet experience to contemplate spending a lot of money on an FF 1.

Looks like now is the time to buy a FF 1

Will FF1 go even lower than 40K in 8.0 blue?

What is an x-men 1 in 8.0? half of that?

I bought an 8.0 ff1 for 38k last year