• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Acceptable" Ways for Books to increase in "Value"

48 posts in this topic

I sometimes see in the selling threads people complaining about a seller asking the high GPA or over GPA or over guide etc. Yet obviously many books have increased a tremendous amount, even over a relatively short time.

My question is a simple one: What do you consider acceptable ways for a book to increase in value over time?

Somebody pays more for the book after I've acquired it.

Let somebody else be the patsy and pay more.

:( This always seems to happen to me lol

But yeah, that's basically how it works. Supply/demand. Price. Whatever someone is willing to sell for or what someone offers to pay. Auction...I've gotten books under GPA and I have set the high price on books for GPA lol

It's a crapshoot

I am not fond of movie hype.

I don't feel that movie hype brings in new collectors to drive up demand, rather it brings in swarms of speculators who ramp up prices selling the comics to each other. (shrug):sumo:

The collector is left out in the cold. rantrant

I sometimes see in the selling threads people complaining about a seller asking the high GPA or over GPA or over guide etc. Yet obviously many books have increased a tremendous amount, even over a relatively short time.

Some dealers are high on everything. That's my beef. You can ask whatever you want, and I have the option of shopping elsewhere. If the dealer has done his homework, and I can't find it anywhere else, I'll be back. That's when prices should go up.

If someone's asking above GPA, simply don't purchase it. Nobody here is totally uneducated in how to determine a books value. And for those of us who are not subscribers of GPA, it's usually not hard to get someone to look something up for you. I have not shopped on the boards in quite a while, but I've always found fantastic deals here. I've also seen people who were only here to milk every last cent out of something, trying to get more than going rate, maybe even being dishonest through omission on something, like the fact that it's currently for sale for a fraction of their asking price elsewhere, which is how they acquired theirs just earlier today before attempting to sell for record breaking highs to other boardies. Just don't buy from those guys and eventually they'll move along.

How do books increase in value? I think most often at auction, not with BIN's. Although it sometimes happens through BIN's as well. Nobody seems to be selling Action 1's in 9.8 with a BIN though.

Destroy all the other copies on the market.

:whistle:

Speaking of, how many Turok #1s are left out there? We need to get on that again, methinks.

:ohnoez:

-slym

1-1.jpg

:popcorn:

I have a slabbed 7.0 copy of that book. Believe it or not, it is part of my black hole collection and not for sale. It screams 1950's americana with Native Americans, Sci-Fi with being trapped in a lost land and dinosaurs. Why this property has never done better has always escaped me. It seems like such a no-brainer.