• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Next CLINK auction is starting to stack up some interesting pieces

556 posts in this topic

As what I hope will be the final :signofftopic: post on the subject, I hope both of you guys will wander over to The Water Cooler section of the Boards and contribute to the official all-purpose investment thread there. It was started in 2005 as a thread about the gold price hitting $500 (which is why it retains the "Gold Price Hits $500/oz." name), but quickly morphed into a catch-all thread about the stock market, bonds, gold, real estate and alternate investments.

It's one of the longest-running threads on the Boards, with nearly 12,000 posts and close to 700,000 page views. It is considered by many to be the single best thread that's ever been created on the Boards, and we always welcome thoughtful input of all kinds (overtly partisan/political commentary is frowned upon unless it relates directly and relevantly to a financial/economic issue, however). The current roster of contributors include a Hong Kong capitalist, Calgary free marketeer oil man, an uber-Keynesian American, a curmudgeonly Northern Californian, Ivy League bioengineering PhD, NYC hedge fund manager, Toronto goldbug and numerous stock investors across the US and Canada. It's a good mix of people and the conversations are of a higher quality than I've seen in comparable forums.

And now, back to OA...

This is definitely my final post on the subject of general investing. I'll take your word on the quality of the Water Cooler discussion, since I definitely don't have the time nor interest in wading through 12,000 posts, but for anyone who is seriously interested in learning how to invest as painlessly and as effectively as possible, I suggest https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/index.php is the best forum out there. If you prefer books, get one by William Bernstein. His books are the most concise, data-driven, no BS, and easiest reads I've found for this material. And by way of background, for 9 years I was on the board of trustees for a 401(k) that managed a pretty big pot of money, so I've spent a lot of time on this subject. After thrashing around and investing badly for 20 years, I sorted myself out, and the last 15 years have been very good to me, despite two massive market 'corrections.'

No one wants to read 12,000 posts on investment theory here in the OA threads either.

Anyone want discuss OA?

What was the original topic of this thread?

rantrant

I wasn't surprised about the Archie results. Comics aren't just superheroes; there are all types of collectors with nostalgia for different genres.

I've spoken to a few well known superhero collectors that have picked up a lot Archie and Harvey Comics art over the last few years. Dan DeCarlo is considered the John Romita for Archie Comics.

For those that actually follow the comics market, Archie got a huge pop with their Death of Archie storyline. The mainstream media picked up on the buzz. If it worked for Superman, why wouldn't it work for Archie?

Top tier artists like Adam Hughes did variant covers and the issues sold out immediately. It looks like the buzz on the death storyline also spilled over to Archie OA. Speculators? Perhaps, but there are Archie fans out there.

Cheers!

N.

No one is saying Archie OA isn't cool. Just that digest covers of that vintage are typically half that price or less , sometimes quite a bit less. I would have pegged it at 350 or so. I would have considered 500 an excellent result. 1k is a home run for that piece 2c

No one wants to read 12,000 posts on investment theory here in the OA threads either.

Top tier artists like Adam Hughes did variant covers and the issues sold out immediately. It looks like the buzz on the death storyline also spilled over to Archie OA. Speculators? Perhaps, but there are Archie fans out there.

Cheers!

N.

Bit of a leap to extrapolate the entire Archie market off of one digest cover result..... ? Id be willing to bet you'll see similar examples under 500 soon.

Anyone want discuss OA?

rantrant

I wasn't surprised about the Archie results. Comics aren't just superheroes; there are all types of collectors with nostalgia for different genres.

I've spoken to a few well known superhero collectors that have picked up a lot Archie and Harvey Comics art over the last few years. Dan DeCarlo is considered the John Romita for Archie Comics.

For those that actually follow the comics market, Archie got a huge pop with their Death of Archie storyline. The mainstream media picked up on the buzz. If it worked for Superman, why wouldn't it work for Archie?

Cheers!

N.

Nelson,

I think it went sideways from when we all started speculating on when some of the top tier pieces offered on Clink didn't look like they were going to break records as they had from 2010 to 2013 time frame and that the market might not be as healthy as it once was. Then members like me started saying that the bottom pieces are going up, like Dan DeCarlo's pieces getting a long overdue boost in sales of his work at recent auctions, which means that the market is still healthy.

But you do have a good point this was supposed to just discuss what Clink offered and what some of us could win to add to our collection. I still think that while it's great that some of these pieces we all collect have the POTENTIAL to go way north for us, I would like to think the point that we are collecting is for a passion in the hobby and not to potentially profit from a flip in 5 years. Don't get me wrong. I really would hate to see the money I sunk into some of these pieces plummet tomorrow, but I won't go bankrupt if it this all goes bust. Plus, I have some great works that I can't wait to hang on my wall instead of watching a hedge fund run away with it all. End of money talk from me, unless someone is close friends with Warren Buffet then please PM so I can see what he's buying next.

Later,

Chris

No one is saying Archie OA isn't cool. Just that digest covers of that vintage are typically half that price or less , sometimes quite a bit less. I would have pegged it at 350 or so. I would have considered 500 an excellent result. 1k is a home run for that piece 2c

Oh you are sadly mistaken. I have been saying it since age 5, Archie is definitely not cool.

If there is something more significant about that issue (doubt it) then I've missed it too because right now I'm picturing se total one-off like bidder A remembered reading that exact issue the very day he first got to second base, and bidder B was a newbie who doesn't yet have any sense of what they usually trade at

my meager winnings. This one will definitely get hung on the wall !

journey_into_mystery_splash_small.jpg

Fantastic pickup!

Easily my favorite of the auction.

Nicely done, Greg. :applause::applause::applause:

Agreed

Oh you are sadly mistaken. I have been saying it since age 5, Archie is definitely not cool.

You collect Boris

If there is something more significant about that issue (doubt it) then I've missed it too because right now I'm picturing se total one-off like bidder A remembered reading that exact issue the very day he first got to second base, and bidder B was a newbie who doesn't yet have any sense of what they usually trade at

Or better yet bidder B has 100 of them and is happy to create the data point

As what I hope will be the final :signofftopic: post on the subject, I hope both of you guys will wander over to The Water Cooler section of the Boards and contribute to the official all-purpose investment thread there. It was started in 2005 as a thread about the gold price hitting $500 (which is why it retains the "Gold Price Hits $500/oz." name), but quickly morphed into a catch-all thread about the stock market, bonds, gold, real estate and alternate investments.

It's one of the longest-running threads on the Boards, with nearly 12,000 posts and close to 700,000 page views. It is considered by many to be the single best thread that's ever been created on the Boards, and we always welcome thoughtful input of all kinds (overtly partisan/political commentary is frowned upon unless it relates directly and relevantly to a financial/economic issue, however). The current roster of contributors include a Hong Kong capitalist, Calgary free marketeer oil man, an uber-Keynesian American, a curmudgeonly Northern Californian, Ivy League bioengineering PhD, NYC hedge fund manager, Toronto goldbug and numerous stock investors across the US and Canada. It's a good mix of people and the conversations are of a higher quality than I've seen in comparable forums.

And now, back to OA...

I spend way to much time in the watercooler since I know who all those people are from the descriptions.

You collect Boris

FIRE IN THE HOLE!!!

fire-in-the-hole-o.gif

Anyone want discuss OA?

rantrant

Cheers!

N.

Investment theory, no.

OA, yes.

my meager winnings. This one will definitely get hung on the wall !

journey_into_mystery_splash_small.jpg

Fantastic pickup!

Easily my favorite of the auction.

Nicely done, Greg. :applause::applause::applause:

Agreed

Thanks everyone. I am really excited to get it hung on my wall!

You collect Boris

FIRE IN THE HOLE!!!

fire-in-the-hole-o.gif

Its only funny because I have borises too :insane: