• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My 1st golden age comic......if you still have yours show it off!!!

88 posts in this topic

Decided I will do #1 to #200 that way when I am low on cash I can at least buy a few each month from # 100 to # 200 just to help me stay motivated + I love Batman so I don't mind the extra 100 comics to collect.

Just picked up this one:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/201228417988?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I am glad that there are some sellers located in Canada on Ebay that way most of the time it will cost me only a few bucks for shipping or even better it will be free.

Got this one in 1986, I believe; I know it was a gift from my parents but I can't remember if it was for my Birthday or for Christmas.

LTMM48_zpsa6fbd272.jpg

I think it was $14; slightly beyond my allowance back then (and I never quite had the patience to save when there were so many other books for a dollar or even 40 cents to get). It was at Monohan's Paperback Exchange in Federal Way, Washington; and I coveted it enormously. I don't think it was the oldest book I had ever seen- I had been to Golden Age Collectables and Bookworld by then- but it was the only book of that age that I had ever seen that I thought I might someday afford. I must not have seen O'Leary's down in Tacoma yet, as I know they would have had more impressive and affordable books. (I still miss O'Leary's.) And I had a particular interest in Looney Tunes (and still do); my Dad had used "Now I close my eyes real tight/ Then I wish with all my might/ Magic words of "Poof Poof Piffles"/ Make me just as small as Sniffles!" as a nursery rhyme for me and my sister when we were younger.

So not the most impressive first GA comic compared to some people. But to this day it's one of the 3 or 4 books in my collection that I can never look at without feeling the wonder of first discovering the Golden Age.

My first golden age comic was actually a small collection of late 40's/early 50's Dells that I picked up from the original owner. Nothing special - some miscellaneous Four Colors, a few photo covers westerns, and the centerpiece of the collection - a VG copy of Krazy Kat #1! A bit of a pedigree though as the original owner was my Dad. :cloud9:

I believe this is the first GA book I bought, picked it up from the old Capitol City Comics store on Hillsborough St in Raleigh ~20 years ago.

sub11.jpg

My first golden age comic was actually a small collection of late 40's/early 50's Dells that I picked up from the original owner. Nothing special - some miscellaneous Four Colors, a few photo covers westerns, and the centerpiece of the collection - a VG copy of Krazy Kat #1! A bit of a pedigree though as the original owner was my Dad. :cloud9:

I believe this is the first GA book I bought, picked it up from the old Capitol City Comics store on Hillsborough St in Raleigh ~20 years ago.

sub11.jpg

Great way to kick off your GA collection.

As far as Batman # 1 is concerned it will be a CGC restored I simply can't afford a non restored one. This will take me a long time to save up but will be so sweet the day I can actually get one.

(thumbs u

Not my copy, but this was the 1st GA I remember pickup up at a con at the Raddison in Boston. Don't remember who I snagged it from, but it was about $45 which was a large chunk of my con money back then.

terrors-of-the-jungle.jpg

And the addiction was born! lol

Those are the best kind of pedigrees! (well...maybe Church has you beat in prominence, but sentimental value is absolutely unmatched).

Not my copy, but this was the 1st GA I remember pickup up at a con at the Raddison in Boston. Don't remember who I snagged it from, but it was about $45 which was a large chunk of my con money back then.

HAHAHAHA! Yup. I know I had been cruising LB Cole ebay listings for a while and was dying to see something in person and just would NOT go home empty handed. My wallet has been lighter ever since. ;)

HAHAHAHA! Yup. I know I had been cruising LB Cole ebay listings for a while and was dying to see something in person and just would NOT go home empty handed. My wallet has been lighter ever since. ;)

I hear you...spent the early years of my Golden Age addiction collecting Timely WWII covers as that subject had always fascinated me (the Subby 11 is my only non-WWII Timely), along with Four Colors. Got in at the right time on the Timelys, but the FC's are probably cheaper today. doh!

My first was a Batman 68 in around fine for 20 bucks or so..... It's been so long I can't remember exactly where I got it..... gone now. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Mine was Batman 31, purchased from Samuel Fraizer (anyone remember him ?). Can't remember how much but probably about $40. Spent food money on it and jus ate real cheap for a month. I still have it.

I think my first GA(technically Atom Age) book was Detective 171. A nice, white paged fine copy I got for six bucks at Comic Investments in Philly. Around the same time, I got a Batman 39 from a collector for 12 bucks, an Action 59 in Fair(nice copy, but tape on the spine) for 6 bucks, and a fair copy of Vault of Horror 32 for around 8 bucks. I was around 13 years old when I got these, I would save my lunch money and did a paper route to get them.

I think my first GA(technically Atom Age) book was Detective 171. A nice, white paged fine copy I got for six bucks at Comic Investments in Philly. Around the same time, I got a Batman 39 from a collector for 12 bucks, an Action 59 in Fair(nice copy, but tape on the spine) for 6 bucks, and a fair copy of Vault of Horror 32 for around 8 bucks. I was around 13 years old when I got these, I would save my lunch money and did a paper route to get them.

Glad to have you back! :applause: