• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My 1st golden age comic......if you still have yours show it off!!!

88 posts in this topic

you bought a $75 comic when you were 5? wow, hardcore! :insane:

It was a lie.

You are no longer considered hardcore. :insane:

I bought a $100 comic when I was 12, does that count? Actually two of them, Giant Size Xmen 1 and Iron Man 1.

I bought a Hulk #1 for 75$ when I was 10 years old. Bought it from a LCS in the city I live in. I worked a paper route that was great, was a trailer park a block from my home.

I had a paper route around the same age..I remember my father freaking out when I paid 100$ for a nm Tales to Astonish 38 from Harley Yee that year.88 or 89...

First GA book is a Canadian edition of an EC Crime Patrol.Still have it.

I think my first GA(technically Atom Age) book was Detective 171. A nice, white paged fine copy I got for six bucks at Comic Investments in Philly. Around the same time, I got a Batman 39 from a collector for 12 bucks, an Action 59 in Fair(nice copy, but tape on the spine) for 6 bucks, and a fair copy of Vault of Horror 32 for around 8 bucks. I was around 13 years old when I got these, I would save my lunch money and did a paper route to get them.

Welcome back. (thumbs u

Just in time for Mitch's year-end review! :D

I think my first GA(technically Atom Age) book was Detective 171. A nice, white paged fine copy I got for six bucks at Comic Investments in Philly. Around the same time, I got a Batman 39 from a collector for 12 bucks, an Action 59 in Fair(nice copy, but tape on the spine) for 6 bucks, and a fair copy of Vault of Horror 32 for around 8 bucks. I was around 13 years old when I got these, I would save my lunch money and did a paper route to get them.

Welcome back. (thumbs u

Just in time for Mitch's year-end review! :D

:fear:

I was about fourteen, mid eighties, had just ridden my bike to my local comic shop and there behind the counter was what looked like a Batman Magazine, it was bigger than your usual comic book and when I asked the owner what it was he was happy to take it down to show me,

BATMAN #14. He even took it out of the mylar and flipped thru it where I spotted the story THE CASE BATMAN FAILED TO SOLVE which had been reprinted in the oversized Batman Treasury Edition (red cover by Neal Adams), which was one of my favorite stories.

It was in about VG condition, and it was $50. I rode back home and it was all I could think about for days.

$50 was a lot of money to a kid with a very low paying part time job.

I looked at it two more times and when I went back a few days later it was gone.

I remember that ride home because it was snowing.

Few days later, Christmas morning, and I unwrap an unsuspecting box and there it is. My folks had checked with the comic shop to see if there was anything I was drooling over and he sold it to them.

It was a great Xmas.

I was about fourteen, mid eighties, had just ridden my bike to my local comic shop and there behind the counter was what looked like a Batman Magazine, it was bigger than your usual comic book and when I asked the owner what it was he was happy to take it down to show me,

BATMAN #14. He even took it out of the mylar and flipped thru it where I spotted the story THE CASE BATMAN FAILED TO SOLVE which had been reprinted in the oversized Batman Treasury Edition (red cover by Neal Adams), which was one of my favorite stories.

It was in about VG condition, and it was $50. I rode back home and it was all I could think about for days.

$50 was a lot of money to a kid with a very low paying part time job.

I looked at it two more times and when I went back a few days later it was gone.

I remember that ride home because it was snowing.

Few days later, Christmas morning, and I unwrap an unsuspecting box and there it is. My folks had checked with the comic shop to see if there was anything I was drooling over and he sold it to them.

It was a great Xmas.

That is an awesome story with a fantastic ending! Forget Ralphie's BB gun!

A FN copy of Two Fisted Tales 30, I think from a London comic shop (Comic Showcase) in 1993. Not expensive (I paid £15) but it was the gateway book.

As for genuine GA, probably a late number Jumbo Comics in 8.0 I picked up from Vincent's Collectibles at a Charlotte show in 1997. First Timely would've been a Cap 55 from Carbonaro in Pittsburgh in 1998. It was in 7.5 - I should've kept it.

First golden age book I purchased off CL more than a dozen years ago. Saw this cover in the Photojournal and loved it. At the time CL also had listed the Church copies of 8 and 9 as well. I bought the 9 and passed on the 8 because it was $100 more. :cry:

Ken

headline10.jpg

First golden age book I purchased off CL more than a dozen years ago. Saw this cover in the Photojournal and loved it. At the time CL also had listed the Church copies of 8 and 9 as well. I bought the 9 and passed on the 8 because it was $100 more. :cry:

Ken

headline10.jpg

What a great first Golden Age book. Even with the painful reminder of the #8.

My first GA book was the Superman #29 in the upper right corner of this group shot (bought in 1966) and closely followed by #30 and #35 the same year. I stopped buying GA books for 20 years and started again in 1993 with the purchase of the #24 Flag cover. To say I had Sticker shock with that book is an understatement... :o

23tnqq9.jpg

Not counting the adventure comics 247, honeymooners 1 and I love Lucy 1 I found when I was 11 in my aunt's old camp trunk in the attic of my parent's house… this was the first golden age comic book I ever purchased.

a12_zps93935b15.jpg

Admittedly I bought a second copy a few months back on eBay which looks exactly like the original copy and I'm not sure which is the one I got 28 years ago.