• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Unslabbed outsells CGC'd...

19 posts in this topic

Wow... I'd be curious to know what the deal with this auction is... Isn't Rube11 a board member too? It wasn't just two people going at it there at the end it was 3 or 4. I've got a nicer copy of Flash 123 than that one that I'd happily sell for WAY less than where this auction ended...

I guess I know what I'm listing on eBay this week smile.gif

He has more auctions still up. Flashes in the 160s, 170s with high bids (so far) of $40 just hanging out there. He grades these books as VG??? Small scans, are bidders working off of larger scans sent by email? Or does the seller have a rep as an under-grader? screwy.gif

Everything blew up during the last few seconds of the auction. I purchased one comic from that seller a few months ago, paid him extra to make sure he sent the comic in a priority mail box. Comic arrived in a flimsy mailer, which the mailman folded and stuck in the mailbox. E-mailed the guy and asked him what was the problem with my request, he got offended.

Yeah, I'm not responsible for items after they've been shipped!

HA!

Ya auctions like that always make me shake my head - as in does somebody know something - huge gamble or if they do maybe not, still thats large cake for that book with a very ambiguous Very Good attached to it and a digital camera picture.

He has more auctions still up. Flashes in the 160s, 170s with high bids (so far) of $40 just hanging out there. He grades these books as VG??? Small scans, are bidders working off of larger scans sent by email? Or does the seller have a rep as an under-grader? screwy.gif

He can't really grade and won't send any other scans but what you see.

Wow... I'd be curious to know what the deal with this auction is... Isn't Rube11 a board member too? It wasn't just two people going at it there at the end it was 3 or 4. I've got a nicer copy of Flash 123 than that one that I'd happily sell for WAY less than where this auction ended...

I guess I know what I'm listing on eBay this week smile.gif

very interesting auctions with significant bidding activity.

i'm guessing that since everything that he put up for auction was either described as Very Good or Fair, that there is significant latitude in his grading and folks felt that many of these books were better than VG. it's too hard to tell from the scans what the defects actually are and there are NO returns. (Risky Business).

flashes 122, 123 & 124 went for approx $125, $800+ and $37, respectively and all were described as VG. i'm gonna ask rube and see if he'll share.........devil.gif

what condition does Flash 123 have to be in to justify the closing price? I don't have a Guide here.

depending on how you extrapolate between the 6.0 and 8.0 prices, i'd say close to a 7.5 for that kind of money!!!!

Rube11 (steve) replied to my query and said he saw the auctions, blew up the pics and decided that the book was nicer than a 4.0. he was also swayed into bidding higher by the number and quality of biders he was up against.

i LOVE that book, but would have been hard pressed to bid that high on a no returm auction with minimal description and bad picture. i have 2 copies of this book and am considering getting one signed by Infantino on Saturday in NYC.

has this story been reprinted? I'd like to read it.. or better yet, just send me your other copy. yay.gif

it's been reprinted at least once in an annual of some sort (that i just saw a cover of on these boards this week). it's also included in the DC Archives Flash #3.

it'a HUGE KEY SA book as it reintro's Jay Garrick the original flash and kicks off the whole Earth 2 scenario where all the DC GA heros actually reside. this would pave the way for the reintro of the JSA characters for years to come.... cloud9.gif

From the looks of his feedback, I would say yes. Also, he doesn't appear to be a "comics" person ...

I have a feeling that the people who watch for his auctions are getting some nice buys. I lost out on several nice looking Lois Lanes that were all graded as "very good"