• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OAAW 83's potential to be a top 5 SA key?

529 posts in this topic

Not singling anyone out - but I don't see how people who don't have any data can make assertions about what the sale of a high grade copy would be. For a book that trades this infrequently, no one has good data on what the next copy sells for.

I'm one of those people that wishes GPA tracked more sales so we could actually see - as so many people put 100% stock in GPA sales (as wrong as that strategy may be). I see both GPA and OPG as the same thing - good tools to use as part of an arsenal of tools for pricing. For a book like OOAW83, these tools carry even less value, because of how few sales there are.

I see a few predictions here on price (jaydog, I'll call you out here), so I'll provide mine too. Maybe we'll get lucky and one will come to auction - then we can make some bets on the final hammer price. If that 9.0 came to auction now, It would sell for $40k+ anyday of the week. Wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see $50-60k either.

Joey

Not singling anyone out - but I don't see how people who don't have any data can make assertions about what the sale of a high grade copy would be. For a book that trades this infrequently, no one has good data on what the next copy sells for.

Relative positioning. Relative to other books. (shrug)

No book is an island. ;)

Joey I think the position you are referring to (that I simply shared with others) is that books like this have a choke-point on their price, regardless of rarity.

"Rarity", as you know, is not the sole determine factor of "value". At some point actual "demand" enters the equation, and unless there are two Sgt. Rock super fans also in the equation, who don't care anything about throwing caution to the wind and decide to bid up the "single highest graded copy" (never really a good idea anyway) of what is essentially a genre book with a small and dwindling collector base, I just don't see this particular book realizing anywhere near that kind of money. There are just too many other places and bigger "key" books that money like that can flow to, which, again, takes us back to the "demand" component that I think Vintage is alluding to. (thumbs u

-J.

Joey I think the position you are referring to (that I simply shared with others) is that books like this have a choke-point on their price, regardless of rarity.

"Rarity", as you know, is not the sole determine factor of "value". At some point actual "demand" enters the equation, and unless there are two Sgt. Rock super fans also in the equation, who don't care anything about throwing caution to the wind and decide to bid up the "single highest graded copy" (never really a good idea anyway) of what is essentially a genre book with a small and dwindling collector base, I just don't see this particular book realizing anywhere near that kind of money. There are just too many other places and bigger "key" books that money like that can flow to, which, again, takes us back to the "demand" component that I think Vintage is alluding to. (thumbs u

-J.

Everything is relative. Even the stuff that isn't relative.

lol

-J.

I've already said this book's rarity crosses a point where in its value realization is hurt. But this book has plenty of fans looking to get their hands on it. Far more than the number of high grade copies around.

Like I said, it would be great if it actually did come to auction, Id look forward to a nice wager with you on the hammer.

Joey

I agree. Very few copies out there... But twice as many avid collectors coveting a nice copy. Literally! There are probably 5 copies above 8.0 and probably only ten guys who want one bad enough to write a big check for one.

That's good enough for fireworks.

I suspect there are a few more than 5 copies out there above 8.0.

There are vast slews of private collections that have not seen the light of day since the 60's and 70's, and their owners are now in THEIR 60's and 70's, and beyond, and they will start dying off.

The baby boomers were the first comic book collectors, en masse. Once they start going, look for tons of previously "very rare" books to show up. The flood of books released since the advent of CGC will look like a stream in comparison.

Maybe so but this book will always be rare, relatively speaking. It came out in 1959. That's just not a dateline where a lot of high grade copies of books were kept - and that's where this thread dovetails into the 50s comics in hg thread

Maybe so but this book will always be rare, relatively speaking. It came out in 1959. That's just not a dateline where a lot of high grade copies of books were kept - and that's where this thread dovetails into the 50s comics in hg thread

Relative to what came after, no, not at all. There are probably 10 times as many copies of Fantasy #15 still extant, in any condition, as OOAW #83.

But not rare like 1938 Centaurs, either.

I have heard rumors of a high grade pedigree of OAAW #83 exisiting.

The sole existing pedigree copy of 83 is the Salida. However, I asked as to the grade and never got an answer. Not sure if it's 8.0 or higher.

As a rule aren't most pedigrees higher in grade?

The Salidas are reknowned for their exceptional preservation, but typically do not grade all that high because many weren`t structurally preserved that well.

For those interested in looking at a couple of Salida's...... www.bedrockcity.com has a couple of fairly nice ones in the For Sale section of their website.... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

So then despite what the article attached says it would not be safe to assume the grade is 8.0 or above? Because in a previous mention of that particular book I was left with the impression it could very well be.

I think it would be safe to assume it's an 8.0 or above.

I suspect there are a few more than 5 copies out there above 8.0.

There are vast slews of private collections that have not seen the light of day since the 60's and 70's, and their owners are now in THEIR 60's and 70's, and beyond, and they will start dying off.

The baby boomers were the first comic book collectors, en masse. Once they start going, look for tons of previously "very rare" books to show up. The flood of books released since the advent of CGC will look like a stream in comparison.

I must be losing my marbles to even THINK about entering into an argument with RMA, but I don't believe your assertion applies in this case. I don't disagree with the part about boomers dying off.

I don't have a crystal ball to support this, so time will tell. However I WOULD say that--accounting for trends in what HAS surfaced so far--very few collections are comprehensive (including books from multiple genres, ages, and publishers).

I can imagine that there might be a war collection or two out there, but generally speaking, pedigrees and OO collections specialize in a single genre, era, or company. Those that break the rule have not tended to include war comics. It was a birdcage liner genre for too long. Those boomers had cooler things to collect than war books which is generally why the entire genre is tough to get in grade. I was in on the ground. . .or second or third floor for a few collections back in the day. Salida, Newsboy (Motor City), and Massachusetts had some beautiful books. I scarfed up as many of them as I could possibly afford. . .which didn't amount to much. More recently, there was the Mound City collection, but that has lots of holes in it. Even the Newsboys and Salidas had lots of holes in the runs.

I think that Golden Age books will appear and some important SA books will appear, but I seriously doubt we'll see a "flood" of war books to accompany the surge that you're anticipating.

I don't have the time or energy to do one-upmanship with the likes of you, RMA. Just too much stuff to do, but there's nothing that you can say that'd convince me otherwise. Like I said, time will tell.