• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OAAW 83's potential to be a top 5 SA key?

529 posts in this topic

Odds of OAAW83 ever being a top 20 key? Zero point zero.

83 already is a Top 20 SA key. Check the prices in the OSPG. Bob needs to rectify the oversight he made in not including it on the SA top 20 list.

I see this as a top 100 key perhaps but not a top 20.

It has limited appeal as the initial post correctly states. And I really don't see any reason for this to change much.

I think I agree with this. The war collectors are a small group overall. I don't think anyone would dispute the quality of those books, but they aren't collected like super-hero books.

The book is an important book, just probably not a top 20 book.

I see this as a top 100 key perhaps but not a top 20.

It has limited appeal as the initial post correctly states. And I really don't see any reason for this to change much.

I think I agree with this. The war collectors are a small group overall. I don't think anyone would dispute the quality of those books, but they aren't collected like super-hero books.

The book is an important book, just probably not a top 20 book.

top 100? Think yall are mixing sgt rock up with the haunted tank. lol

Im not taking sides though.. I own both books so Im covered either way!

Knowing you, they`re probably both 9.6s.

I suppose if 9.6s existed and they was offered to me way back when they were raw and the "over guide nosebleed price" was a few grand, I might have 'em today… but probably someone else would have paid more than I would for them. like you for the BB28!

Im just saying Im not trying to influence the debate either way. I always believed 81 was the first Rock, but inclined to go with 83 now. And if the value keeps increasing in Overstreet, its simple enough to list them by 9.2 price and see which books make up the top 20. and apparently, last year 83 did even though Bob failed to include it.

anyway, its not surprising that first Rock would make the cut since DC doesn't really have that many big $$ SA books since their big guns began in the GA.

83 already currently is a Top 20 SA key when ranked by top price in the OPG. Check the prices in the OSPG. Bob needs to rectify the oversight he made in not including it on the SA top 20 list.

Fixed.

83 already currently is a Top 20 SA key when ranked by top price in the OPG. Check the prices in the OSPG. Bob needs to rectify the oversight he made in not including it on the SA top 20 list.

Fixed.

Not sure OSPG is relevant in valuation of SA keys...

Not sure OSPG is really relevant at all...

Im not taking sides though.. I own both books so Im covered either way!

Knowing you, they`re probably both 9.6s.

I suppose if 9.6s existed and they was offered to me way back when they were raw and the "over guide nosebleed price" was a few grand, I might have 'em today…

Yes, that's what I'm assuming is the case.

Fixed.

I wouldn't underestimate the influence of the OSPG when it comes to valuation of Silver and Golden Age keys. The largest auction houses and most reputable dealers who buy and sell Silver and Golden Age books spend a great deal of money advertising in the OSPG. There's a reason for that.

Fixed.

I wouldn't underestimate the influence of the OSPG when it comes to valuation of Silver and Golden Age keys. The largest auction houses and most reputable dealers who buy and sell Silver and Golden Age books spend a great deal of money advertising in the OSPG. There's a reason for that.

:shrug:

Companies still advertise in the newspaper even though readership is down a million percent. Businesses do things year after year for a variety of reasons, but that doesn't make them good reasons.

Do you know how much it costs to advertise in OSPG?

Or what portion of their budget major auction houses allocate to advertisements? Or their ROI?

Fixed.

Companies still advertise in the newspaper even though readership is down a million percent. Businesses do things year after year for a variety of reasons, but that doesn't make them good reasons.

Do you know how much it costs to advertise in OSPG?

Or what portion of their budget major auction houses allocate to advertisements? Or their ROI?

- Do you think newspaper advertising is a good comparison? Considering that any serious newspaper provides its advertisers with the opportunity to buy space on a paper's website- check out the NY Times website.

- Full page ads for Overstreet are in general, not cheap and some auction houses buy multiple pages- not for charitable reasons but because Overstreet is the industry bible and very relevant.

- Do you think auction houses and reputable dealers just throw their money to Bob out of loyalty?

It is a fine analogy given they are both dieing publications with shrinking readership.

I won't presume to evaluate the intelligence of the business owners you are referring to, but I wouldn't assume it either.

Regardless, people purchasing ads in the OSPG and the validity of its pricing are unrelated. People don't buy ads in the New York Times because they agree with all viewpoints in the articles, they buy them because they hope people buying the paper will see their ad and make a purchase.

It is a fine analogy given they are both dieing publications with shrinking readership.

I won't presume to evaluate the intelligence of the business owners you are referring to, but I wouldn't assume it either.

Regardless, people purchasing ads in the OSPG and the validity of its pricing are unrelated. People don't buy ads in the New York Times because they agree with all viewpoints in the articles, they buy them because they hope people buying the paper will see their ad and make a purchase.

Yes but do the Times advertisers also serve as "Advisors" to the Editorial Board? Where decisions concerning the newspapers viewpoints are determined?

Again, not a good analogy.

Yes but do the Times advertisers also serve as "Advisors" to the Editorial Board? Where decisions concerning the newspapers viewpoints are determined?

Again, not a good analogy.

Or a definite conflict of interest...?

And I think it is a great analogy!

OPG is still relevant. It's still used for buying and selling by thousands of comic collectors and dealers. Every time a comic sells when priced according to OPG, that legitimizes the guide.

If we want to argue that it's not as relevant as it was 30-40 years ago, then I would say that's reasonable but to suggest that it's not relevant ignores the thousands of raw comic transactions that take place every day, not only on the internet but at shops and shows.

OPG is still relevant. It's still used for buying and selling by thousands of comic collectors and dealers. Every time a comic sells when priced according to OPG, that legitimizes the guide.

If we want to argue that it's not as relevant as it was 30-40 years ago, then I would say that's reasonable but to suggest that it's not relevant ignores the thousands of raw comic transactions that take place every day, not only on the internet but at shops and shows.

this

this

+1

I haven't walked into a con ever where a dealer didn't whip out an OPG to check valuation of a raw wall book. Ever...