• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay member creates an ID today then instant pays. Red flag?

38 posts in this topic

I've actually bought items recently on eBay (after a many year hiatus). My feed back was (is) low. If I BIN'd an item, I paid right away. I don't see the problem.

Usually people complain when they don't get paid. Who complains about getting paid immediately?

eBay & Paypal require Signature Confirmation for all sales over $250 so you qualify for Seller Protection.

Peace,

Chip

Ive never had to get a sig on sales over 250.00

Chip means for seller protection - sellers do get some level of protection - but there are some requirements. I won a case recently because of this.

Quick edit for clarity - you would need to add signature confirmation on a $250+ sale - or they might not give you the full "seller protection" - this is not automatic, but always a good idea on high ticket items anyway. Combine that with insurance - and have the most protection you can get as a seller.

Also sold a hulk 182 to a first time buyer on ebay - no issues

I believe that now buyers have to pay right away on a BIN (not an offer or auction) - so this would not trigger any red flags for me.

I thought I had new eBayers blocked but someone with zero feedback just won one of my auctions. I noticed because of course as soon as the auction ended I started getting huge red flag messages from the buyer :eyeroll:

It's only a $15 item though so what's the worst that could happen?

Someone earlier mentioned that insurance provides its own signature confirmation at a certain dollar amount. Here is the USPS language.

"Insured mail provides the mailer with a mailing receipt. No record of insured mail is kept at the office of mailing; however, the USPS maintains insured delivery records for a period of time. An item insured for $200.00 or less receives a delivery scan. An item insured for more than $200.00 receives a delivery scan and the USPS obtains the recipient’s signature as the delivery records. Customers may obtain a delivery record by purchasing additional services; see 6.0 for details."

To me, this isn't saying an item worth more than $200 gets signature automatically, it's saying an item insured for more $200 gets one.

Yall agree?

I believe that now buyers have to pay right away on a BIN (not an offer or auction) - so this would not trigger any red flags for me.

I think there is a box to check when listing that says "require immediate payment with BIN".

I'll just echo what some other boardies have said: cover yourself and send it out. Could be a scam, could be a new user - there are things that help protect yourself, spend a couple bucks extra and use them for peace of mind. If something happens, it will be inconvenient, but you'll be covered - all part of doing business.

I think there is a box to check when listing that says "require immediate payment with BIN".

Not any more - (at least this is how my account is set up, advanced stores may have more options) .

You do have a "rules" option that allows for combining payments for purchases (this is a requirement for setting up rules for shipping discounts). I actually just found this so I do not know how well it works in practice for BIN. Since someone cannot

On best offers - they can accept your offer (or I could accept theirs) - and then they do not have to pay right away AND I can send a combined invoice. This works with auctions too.

You can still create a "shopping cart" from a seller - but I do not know how this handles combined shipments. I do know that unless you hit the BIN and pay - they can still sell it to someone else even if added to a shopping cart. So not really "bought" at all until payment.

It's very possible the buyer stumbled across your Ebay listing while searching the internet for that book. He may have joined Ebay just to buy it. I have a few new 0 feedback buyers every week and I just assume that is what happens. Never been a problem for me.

As the post states in the beginning, there is no problem. I hope that continues to be true.

I asked the experienced sellers and buyers here what the potential scams or pitfalls could be involving a buyer with zero feedback who created their accounts the same day as a purchase.

Not assuming a problem, just trying to show due diligence to cover my rear.

Comments have been extremely helpful and I do appreciate it.

I once had a buyer create his account on the same day, bid on a few items and even chose a user ID as identical to mine has he could get.

I shut down those bids and blocked the buyer. I would not have done that had he not chosen a user name nearly identical to mine but that just seemed too "fishy" to me.

I don't haven't had any issues regarding comics on EBAY but recently had my Samsung Galaxy S5 for sale and had many 0 feedback bidders and many whose accounts had just been created the day before or were from countries i had never heard of....

No idea what the game was on it i kept cancelling the bids from those accounts and finally sold it to a somewhat local anyway....but it did seem very odd