• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

You're a riot, Gabe, old chap. Not only do you buy horrible books to flip, but now you're wasting your (admittedly near worthless) time actually thinking up how to brag about it if and when you sell them. Notice, I didn't say "for a profit", just "sold them". Even if you do manage to sucker someone with less comic savvy, or any savvy, for that matter, than you (if such a person even exists, which I doubt), what will you have accomplished? You might make $30-$50 profit, maybe, on both books, after you've spent umpteen hours listing them on eBay, Facebook, kijiji and who knows where else. That's smart. By the way, the village just called...

No I will brag about comics that you "pros" say I can't sell because to me that means I've seen something you haven't. Also I really don't spend much time at all on my comics after I list I just wait till someone asks me a questions or makes a offer.

I've always kind of wondered why you rarely ask for advice on specific books here before you buy them. I think I understand it now...you think if you ask you will be revealing "secret" information that the "pros" here would jump all over and steal your market away.

Don't worry, I doubt anyone here will be jumping on the "pink variant" or restored, mid grade semi key at GPA high market anytime soon bro.

No it's about making a profit and comics you say are a waste of time and won't make money.

I hope you make a profit, because that would be better than what you do 80% of the time. I just think you could use your money better on finding sure things as opposed to gambles that have minimal return. But hey, I'm not even a "pro" and you seem to have it all figured out (shrug)

Agreed the majority of my comics I've bought have been losses.

Think about that for a while. If you bash your head into a brick wall 100 times, it hurts every time. What makes you think number 101 is going to be any different?

Don't do it Gabe. You get a full time job and this thread will never be the same. You have brought the CGC community together in a way I though impossible.

I'm glad I made it happen but it's interesting you wanted to use reverse psychology. I do need more hours and it's something I realize believe me.

No reverse psychology intended - I really would miss this thread. The longevity and scope of this thread is staggering when you look back at it all. I've seen better threads fade into oblivion after only a week but yours just seem to have a life of its own. For those about to rock - we salute you.

Thanks I guess it's something people can't help but to keep reading.

I cannot believe that no one else in this thread has clarified the point that ADHD is NOT a learning disability. True, it might have affect on how one learns, but it is NOT classified as a disability, at least not in the United States.

Is that what he has? I recall him saying that he said they've never been able to figure out exactly what his disability was.

That might be because laziness isn't a disability. It's a choice.

It's not laziness

You're a riot, Gabe, old chap. Not only do you buy horrible books to flip, but now you're wasting your (admittedly near worthless) time actually thinking up how to brag about it if and when you sell them. Notice, I didn't say "for a profit", just "sold them". Even if you do manage to sucker someone with less comic savvy, or any savvy, for that matter, than you (if such a person even exists, which I doubt), what will you have accomplished? You might make $30-$50 profit, maybe, on both books, after you've spent umpteen hours listing them on eBay, Facebook, kijiji and who knows where else. That's smart. By the way, the village just called...

No I will brag about comics that you "pros" say I can't sell because to me that means I've seen something you haven't. Also I really don't spend much time at all on my comics after I list I just wait till someone asks me a questions or makes a offer.

I've always kind of wondered why you rarely ask for advice on specific books here before you buy them. I think I understand it now...you think if you ask you will be revealing "secret" information that the "pros" here would jump all over and steal your market away.

Don't worry, I doubt anyone here will be jumping on the "pink variant" or restored, mid grade semi key at GPA high market anytime soon bro.

No it's about making a profit and comics you say are a waste of time and won't make money.

I hope you make a profit, because that would be better than what you do 80% of the time. I just think you could use your money better on finding sure things as opposed to gambles that have minimal return. But hey, I'm not even a "pro" and you seem to have it all figured out (shrug)

Think about that for a while. If you bash your head into a brick wall 100 times, it hurts every time. What makes you think number 101 is going to be any different?

Three reasons

I bought it cheap

It's a key

There's always a demand for it

Three reasons

I bought it cheap

It's a key

Just like 80% of your other purchases that you lost money on. What's your point?

Three reasons

I bought it cheap

It's a key

Just like 80% of your other purchases that you lost money on. What's your point?

The point is that this wasn't a emotional based buy like all my other comics in the past have been.

Three reasons

I bought it cheap

It's a key

The point is that this wasn't a emotional based buy like all my other comics in the past have been.

The tires on my truck have a better grasp of reality than you do. A bad purchase is a bad purchase. It doesn't matter if it's based on emotions, advice from the tooth fairy or, God forbid, actual research. How much money do you have to lose before you understand that?

Edited by Batman1fan

Well I was told that marker or crayon on a comic book always counts as amateur since it wasn't done by a professional.

You were misinformed. Who did the work is irrelevant. The difference between professional and amateur restoration is what materials were used.

A crayon or marker used for color touch will always get an amateur designation. If Matt or Susan or Tracy color touched a book with a sharpie, it will get the A designation. Conversely, if you or I used Japan paper to seal a tear, for example, the book would get a P designation.

Again, who performed the work has no bearing. It's the materials used that counts.

Three reasons

I bought it cheap

It's a key

The tires on my truck have a better grasp of reality than you do. A bad purchase is a bad purchase. It doesn't matter if it's based on emotions, advice from the tooth fairy or, God forbid, actual research. How much money do you have to lose before you understand that?

I do understand that and that's why I've been making better choices of what I'm buying though most don't agree

Edited by uchiha101

Gabe - Would you be willing to sell me the ASM 101 book for $40? You'll make a nice profit % wise and you can post that you made a profit and move on. I'll deduct it as a charitable write-off.

This is a serious offer, what do you say? (I'll cover shipping of course)

you should check with your CPA, but I'm pretty sure this is not the kind of thing you can write off for charity (assuming you were talking about US taxes), unless you plan on donating it immediately to an actual charitable foundation.

Gabe - Would you be willing to sell me the ASM 101 book for $40? You'll make a nice profit % wise and you can post that you made a profit and move on. I'll deduct it as a charitable write-off.

If that's a serious offer then yes :takeit:

Well I was told that marker or crayon on a comic book always counts as amateur since it wasn't done by a professional.

You were misinformed. Who did the work is irrelevant. The difference between professional and amateur restoration is what materials were used.

A crayon or marker used for color touch will always get an amateur designation. If Matt or Susan or Tracy color touched a book with a sharpie, it will get the A designation. Conversely, if you or I used Japan paper to seal a tear, for example, the book would get a P designation.

Again, who performed the work has no bearing. It's the materials used that counts.

I'll re-read what the message was and I'll get back to you.

I just re-read it and you're right

Edited by uchiha101

Good. I will PM you my info..

Ok thanks

Classy move.

8 8