• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

So, Gabe, what is the situation on the job front? Still at the same place? New place? How many hours per week?

I mean, between posting, and you saying you have been to a bunch of places this week or so to check out to see if they had comics and online dealings, just curious to see how things are going "in the real world".

In the real world everything is still the same

So still only 20 some odd hours per week making minimum wage?

Have you done any other serious job hunting and/or skill building?

Yes I'm doing but hunting but no skill building yet. What I'm looking for is a job with more hours.

What about getting a 2nd part time job? McDonalds is always hiring 2c

Applying there tomorrow

Sigh.

Why not do it now?

http://www.mcdonalds.ca/ca/en/careers.html

Gabe - Would you be willing to sell me the ASM 101 book for $40? You'll make a nice profit % wise and you can post that you made a profit and move on. I'll deduct it as a charitable write-off.

This is a serious offer, what do you say? (I'll cover shipping of course)

If that's a serious offer then yes :takeit:

Good. I will PM you my info..

Classy move.

I guess I have to eat crow now, he just made $10 :sorry:

Actually you can celebrate if you want because when this goes through I'll only be making 40 cents on this.

:rulez:

What did I do wrong?

If I was immortal, there would still not be enough time to answer this.

You should find a store with decent back issue stock, even if its just 90s to present, and be buying up actual high grade cheap moderns for 6 dollars or less. If you don't live in close proximity to a decent lcs then browse the online stores and eBay. Look for poorly worded/advertised listings on eBay. This is a much better use of the odd 100 or 200 dollars than putting that money towards one or two slabs or restored books ffs. With your low amount of capital you want to be spreading that money around as much as you can and turning over books as quickly as possible.

Why sell anywhere else Gabe. You have a captive audience. Anyone else want that Batman 189 (slight restoration).

That Hulk 180 was a fair price and I got no bites so I listed it elsewhere.

You pulled it out of the sales forum less than 24 hours after you posted it.

Indeed I did, that was because even though boardies said it was a fair price I didn't even get one question. To be fair I do know you need to make a profit on comics but I know not everyone is a dealer here.

Right. But books don't necessarily sell instantaneously. I'm on the boards a lot and didn't even see it until after you'd closed the thread.

Gabe - Would you be willing to sell me the ASM 101 book for $40? You'll make a nice profit % wise and you can post that you made a profit and move on. I'll deduct it as a charitable write-off.

Classy move.

I guess I have to eat crow now, he just made $10 :sorry:

Actually you can celebrate if you want because when this goes through I'll only be making 40 cents on this.

:rulez:

What did I do wrong?

If I was immortal, there would still not be enough time to answer this.

Ouch you know what I meant.

Why sell anywhere else Gabe. You have a captive audience. Anyone else want that Batman 189 (slight restoration).

Indeed I did, that was because even though boardies said it was a fair price I didn't even get one question. To be fair I do know you need to make a profit on comics but I know not everyone is a dealer here.

Right. But books don't necessarily sell instantaneously. I'm on the boards a lot and didn't even see it until after you'd closed the thread.

Really? weird I saw that it got viewed 60 times but right now the hulk 180 is pending

You should find a store with decent back issue stock, even if its just 90s to present, and be buying up actual high grade cheap moderns for 6 dollars or less. If you don't live in close proximity to a decent lcs then browse the online stores and eBay. Look for poorly worded/advertised listings on eBay. This is a much better use of the odd 100 or 200 dollars than putting that money towards one or two slabs or restored books ffs. With your low amount of capital you want to be spreading that money around as much as you can and turning over books as quickly as possible.

I live near two lcs's one of them has a good dollar bin section and the other is a overpriced back issues lcs

Or he could stop buying and selling altogether until he has a handle on the CORE things that will continue to prevent him from being successful, like his impatience, emotional issues, inability to grade, inability to do financial analysis, lack of math or business skills, inability to tell what is/isn't a good deal, and other mental/physical/learning issues. NOTE that addressing those issues would actually improve his life in other, TANGIBLE ways rather than promulgating the dream of someday maybe hoping to breakeven selling comics.

Not that all the other advice and criticisms are not wrong or unwarranted (it's all good advice), but you can't play hockey unless you can skate (or even stand on ice), even if you're getting tips from Wayne Gretzky on how to shoot. And yes skating comes naturally to some, but if it doesn't, then you have to work REALLY hard at it or choose not to be hockey player.

Edited by Revat

So, Gabe, what is the situation on the job front? Still at the same place? New place? How many hours per week?

I mean, between posting, and you saying you have been to a bunch of places this week or so to check out to see if they had comics and online dealings, just curious to see how things are going "in the real world".

Yes I'm doing but hunting but no skill building yet. What I'm looking for is a job with more hours.

Applying there tomorrow

Sigh.

Why not do it now?

:busy:

Classy move.

Either that or enabling. Depends on your perspective.

Gabe truly is the Blanche DuBois of the boards.

Boardies bailing Gabe out = Enabling. Once on a big item book, now once on a little item book. Regardless Gabe, you should not be "proud" of a pity sale but at least you took it.

Edited by Wall-Crawler

Applying there tomorrow

Sigh.

Why not do it now?

:busy:

Don't worry I will.

Classy move.

Either that or enabling. Depends on your perspective.

Gabe truly is the Blanche DuBois of the boards.

Boardies bailing Gabe out = Enabling. Once on a big item book, now once on a little item book. Regardless Gabe, you should not be "proud" of a pity sale but at least you took it.

I'm not proud of it but I will be proud when I sell my hulk 180 and bat 189

Hey, he spent $30+ to make .40 cents on the ASM pink variant. He showed us all and he knows what he's doing. :sumo:

Or he could stop buying and selling altogether until he has a handle on the CORE things that will continue to prevent him from being successful, like his impatience, emotional issues, inability to grade, inability to do financial analysis, lack of math or business skills, inability to tell what is/isn't a good deal, and other mental/physical/learning issues. NOTE that addressing those issues would actually improve his life in other, TANGIBLE ways rather than promulgating the dream of someday maybe hoping to breakeven selling comics.

Not that all the other advice and criticisms are not wrong or unwarranted (it's all good advice), but you can't play hockey unless you can skate (or even stand on ice), even if you're getting tips from Wayne Gretzky on how to shoot. And yes skating comes naturally to some, but if it doesn't, then you have to work REALLY hard at it or choose not to be hockey player.

I'm working on my emotional issues.

Hey, he spent $30+ to make .40 cents on the ASM pink variant. He showed us all and he knows what he's doing. :sumo:

It's not the ideal amount I wanted to sell it for but since the opportunity presented itself I took it since I have my eye on another comic.

It's not the ideal amount I wanted to sell it for but since the opportunity presented itself I took it since I have my eye on another comic.

Hey, you were right and I was wrong :sorry:

And he did it all in just 3 days.

8 8