• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can someone help me...

59 posts in this topic

There is already a Platinum Age. The full list is:

??? Age (stay tuned...)

Victorian Age (1828-1883)

Platinum Age (1883-1938)

Golden Age (1938-1945)

Atom Age (1946-1956)

Silver Age (1956-1970)

Bronze Age (1970-1984)

Copper Age (1984-1992)

Modern Age (1992-Present)

Arnold

That's the worst thing I've ever seen and/or heard.

Guess you don't buy the OS guide.

??? Age (stay tuned...)

Platinum Age (1883-1938)

Golden Age (1938-1945)

Atom Age (1946-1956)

Silver Age (1956-1970)

Bronze Age (1970-1984)

Copper Age (1984-1992)

Arnold

That's the worst thing I've ever seen and/or heard.

Is that for me? Actually, you're right. I've never even seen an OS guide in my 26 year life. Got one on the way though. But Victorian Age? Gimme a break grin.gif

??? Age (stay tuned...)

Platinum Age (1883-1938)

Golden Age (1938-1945)

Atom Age (1946-1956)

Silver Age (1956-1970)

Bronze Age (1970-1984)

Copper Age (1984-1992)

Arnold

Wow...don't tell me you guys are thinking of

The Antediluvian Age (Pre-genre stage) to precede Victorian 893whatthe.gif

??? Age (stay tuned...)

Platinum Age (1883-1938)

Golden Age (1938-1945)

Atom Age (1946-1956)

Silver Age (1956-1970)

Bronze Age (1970-1984)

Copper Age (1984-1992)

Arnold

Wow...don't tell me you guys are thinking of

The Antediluvian Age (Pre-genre stage) to precede Victorian 893whatthe.gif

Yeah, there's really no point to that unless you're talking about artifacts other than comics. Maybe weaponry or something of the sort.

Is that for me?

It certainly wasn't for one of the Guide's editors.

Actually, you're right. I've never even seen an OS guide in my 26 year life. Got one on the way though.

Maybe you should read it before you blindly start ragging on the work that they've done then. Disagree with them all you want but at least know what their reasoning is behind their choices.

But Victorian Age? Gimme a break grin.gif

I'm not sure what the problem is. Victorian Age is a pretty natural name for books from that period. Or is it just that people have put time into this that bothers you?

Is that for me?

It certainly wasn't for one of the Guide's editors.

Actually, you're right. I've never even seen an OS guide in my 26 year life. Got one on the way though.

Maybe you should read it before you blindly start ragging on the work that they've done then. Disagree with them all you want but at least know what their reasoning is behind their choices.

But Victorian Age? Gimme a break grin.gif

I'm not sure what the problem is. Victorian Age is a pretty natural name for books from that period. Or is it just that people have put time into this that bothers you?

The fact that you answered each individual sentence of that post worries me, yes. screwy.gif And I don't know who is an "editor" for the magazine and who isn't. Personally, I don't care. But thanks.

The fact that you answered each individual sentence of that post worries me, yes. screwy.gif

Oh snap, I did it again! C'mon man, it takes two seconds to do and you did have separate points to answer to. Maybe you haven't noticed it yet, but people take comics seriously around here.

And I don't know who is an "editor" for the magazine and who isn't. Personally, I don't care. But thanks.

So... I guess we can classify you as "willfully proud in your ignorance?"

Anyway, Arnold, the guy that posted the list, is one of the editors for the Overstreet Price Guide, If, as it seems, you're not sure what the Guide is, it's the book that's been at the center of the hobby for longer than you've been alive. Without Bob Overstreet and the price guide the hobby would be drastically different.

I know what "the Guide" is. I just don't use it. I don't find the particular need for it, personally. I take my collecting very seriously. I'm just not obsessed. Ask some of the other guys here. I know my stuff, and I don't need some stupid Guide to tell me what I've learned from less expensive sources.

Rob, I didn't intend to start something here. I just wanted to make hte point that it would be much EASIER if the ages were simply separated by the Decades. I agree that Golden and Silver Age books need to be called just that, but anything after, we should use 70's, 80's, etc. Because if this hobby is still around in 100 years, what in God's great name are we going to call some of the other decades? I wish OS luck with this venture.

Peace, Rob. Didn't mean to do any harm, but I'm done with this thread. Take it easy and see ya round the boards.

To any who think earlier eras are "stupid" or "useless" or "break"-deserving:

Yes, prototypical comic book material was in publication in the 1800s and even far earlier. And yes, a complete picture of the history of the medium - of the very development of the artform - goes a bit further back than 1938 and cape-wearing superheroes, and even before you were rifling through convention longboxes for that FATHOM #1. And yes, history matters. smile.gif

Arnold

Of course, if Image starts the Modern Age, then in 20-25 yrs., call it the Image Age.

Or on that note, maybe the quarter-box Age would be more appropriate tongue.gif

I personally can't wait until we run out of metals to use and the Oxygen Age and Helium Age come around. YES!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I know what "the Guide" is. I just don't use it. I don't find the particular need for it, personally. I take my collecting very seriously. I'm just not obsessed. Ask some of the other guys here. I know my stuff, and I don't need some stupid Guide to tell me what I've learned from less expensive sources.

Rob, I didn't intend to start something here. I just wanted to make hte point that it would be much EASIER if the ages were simply separated by the Decades. I agree that Golden and Silver Age books need to be called just that, but anything after, we should use 70's, 80's, etc. Because if this hobby is still around in 100 years, what in God's great name are we going to call some of the other decades? I wish OS luck with this venture.

Peace, Rob. Didn't mean to do any harm, but I'm done with this thread. Take it easy and see ya round the boards.

You travelled down a path that you shouldn't have, khurst. The overstreet is by far more than just a price guide. The information contained within is invaluable to any comic collector. The notations alone for each title would be enough of a resource. there are many other things that make it enjoyable.

Do you think in the 70's collectors called their books Bronze age? No, that didn't happen until later, and look how common the usage has become. the only way for Copper Age to become acceptable is to define it and have collectors use it.

That explanation is a far cry from "that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard/read," the comment that lead me to post.

That explanation is a far cry from "that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard/read," the comment that lead me to post.

sorry.gif

stooges.gif

You travelled down a path that you shouldn't have, khurst. The overstreet is by far more than just a price guide. The information contained within is invaluable to any comic collector.

And that's the reason some of us have collections of Overstreet Price Guides to go along with our collections of comics...