• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
42 42

6,217 posts in this topic

I should have said "qualify" instead of quantify, but you get the picture lol

On 3/27/2022 at 2:46 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Email the pic you have, because I do believe that "cgc tries to quantify it" by saying as long as it is legible or some such vagueness lol

But that pic does look like it first that criteria, email for the grader or whomever to determine before sending. Who knows if you're lucky, maybe they could quantify it further as a mechanical error and do it for free?

Especially if you put it on the submission form to begin with, seems like they should be able to sort it out :wishluck:

On 3/27/2022 at 2:46 PM, Sold! said:

No. CGC should never try to guess who might've signed it. How do we know you didn't write that?

It's not like it will get yellow label, so it's up to cgc

On 3/27/2022 at 3:01 PM, harkeyed said:

I guess you don’t, just wanted some opinions. Thanks to all.

I'd still leave it up to CGC and let them determine, while there are points being made that are valid, still leave it up to CGC? Give them an email with the pic.

Just with all the examples, try not be too disappointed in CGC's answer :cheers: 

This issue was a Qualified label and the note said, "M. Wagner written on cover."

800076218_Primer2(CGC9.4qualified).thumb.jpg.44f0beba99b369ce56ca785ff46981dd.jpg

20220327_141058.thumb.jpg.0a05c0e90a447337dac35f0ba37f44b7.jpg

The other issue has a signature just as legible but the note didn't mention the creator by name.

264845412_Grendel1CGC9.2MattWagnersignatureandsketch.thumb.jpg.b3f2c8a80bf30612ef529a4e8128b9bb.jpg

I wonder if CGC has changed their policy on naming unwitnessed signatures?

On 3/27/2022 at 1:13 PM, grendelbo said:

This issue was a Qualified label and the note said, "M. Wagner written on cover."

800076218_Primer2(CGC9.4qualified).thumb.jpg.44f0beba99b369ce56ca785ff46981dd.jpg

20220327_141058.thumb.jpg.0a05c0e90a447337dac35f0ba37f44b7.jpg

The other issue has a signature just as legible but the note didn't mention the creator by name.

264845412_Grendel1CGC9.2MattWagnersignatureandsketch.thumb.jpg.b3f2c8a80bf30612ef529a4e8128b9bb.jpg

I wonder if CGC has changed their policy on naming unwitnessed signatures?

I don't think so. The green label states what is merely written on the book. The yellow label specifically says, "signed by..."

On 3/27/2022 at 3:38 PM, Tnexus said:

I don't think so. The green label states what is merely written on the book. The yellow label specifically says, "signed by..."

Then how do you explain the blue labels that say such and such written in marker ?

Has that changed? I think is what hes getting at. :cheers:

On 3/27/2022 at 1:44 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Then how do you explain the blue labels that say such and such written in marker ?

Has that changed? I think is what hes getting at. :cheers:

Isnt a green label what the grade would be without the marker and you can request a blue grade, which takes the grade hit for marker?

On 3/27/2022 at 3:17 PM, The Meta said:

Isnt a green label what the grade would be without the marker and you can request a blue grade, which takes the grade hit for marker?

Yes.

On 3/27/2022 at 4:23 PM, grendelbo said:
On 3/27/2022 at 4:17 PM, The Meta said:

Yes.

Unless it is written on the first page like this is, then it doesn't affect the grade at all. Only problem is, what will cgc put on the label?

On 3/27/2022 at 3:51 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

If it is written on the first page and legible, cgc used to to put the actual name of the signer on the label with "written in marker and or pen" added on the label. @The Meta 

@grendelbo

So no longer?

On 3/27/2022 at 4:59 PM, grendelbo said:

So no longer?

That was the question,  before the sidetrack lol

No worries 

But I have no idea, I was only trying to help, if OP would find out and report what cgc says that would be :x

On 3/27/2022 at 2:51 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

If it is written on the first page and legible, cgc used to to put the actual name of the signer on the label with "written in marker and or pen" added on the label. @The Meta 

@grendelbo

Well usually its "name written in marker" 

Havent seen many actual names because they cannot verify, suppose they used to just play it fast and loose and whatever the grader felt like doing that day 

On 3/27/2022 at 5:10 PM, The Meta said:

Well usually its "name written in marker" 

Havent seen many actual names because they cannot verify, suppose they used to just play it fast and loose and whatever the grader felt like doing that day 

Sounds about right, I was just curious  :)

What I want is a comic book with a manufacturing error like a double cover or wrong interior inside a CGC slab with an incorrect label. That's high collectability.

On 3/27/2022 at 6:40 PM, grendelbo said:

What I want is a comic book with a manufacturing error like a double cover or wrong interior inside a CGC slab with an incorrect label. That's high collectability.

Except you would have to crack it out of the slab to prove it. :ohnoez:

On 3/27/2022 at 5:48 PM, wombat said:

Except you would have to crack it out of the slab to prove it. :ohnoez:

Makes you wonder how many MJI , Double Cover, etc are a label swap with the book in the holder not actually having those . :sorry: