• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
43 43

6,172 posts in this topic

On 9/11/2022 at 9:23 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

What is it?:facepalm:

Looks like a small stain.

Edit:  lol thanks for posting that info on the book.  I checked for the graders notes and was shocked that there wasn't any.  I couldn't figure out why the book got such a low grade at first. I kept looking at all the edges and corners.  Then I thought maybe in was in the interior of the book.  I gave up.  Few weeks later, I decided to scan the book and then I saw it. I quickly went back through my pictures of the books I sent in and realized that it wasn't there before.

Edited by Catwomancomics

On 9/11/2022 at 11:07 AM, Catwomancomics said:

After

1446573517_newavengers27cgc9.23998605006a.thumb.jpg.7df8d9765cab17d9c31537734a2f1a9d.jpg913215716_newavengers27cgc9.23998605006bcircle.thumb.jpg.b44968f19cb2cb70217490256215d621.jpg

Are you saying it shouldn't be 9.2? Or that it was damaged? Looked to be one tic and a ruffled corner, I thought 9.4 but not sure ....

On 9/11/2022 at 11:26 AM, Catwomancomics said:

Edit:  lol thanks for posting that info on the book.  I checked for the graders notes and was shocked that there wasn't any.  I couldn't figure out why the book got such a low grade at first. I kept looking at all the edges and corners.  Then I thought maybe in was in the interior of the book.  I gave up.  Few weeks later, I decided to scan the book and then I saw it. I quickly went back through my pictures of the books I sent in and realized that it wasn't there before.

ah thanks for the circle on the scan

I didn't notice it at first, odd, I might have even thought it was debris or something :cheers: 

On 9/11/2022 at 6:26 AM, Catwomancomics said:

Bummer. Yet another example, with no explanation, of CGC;'s failure to not provide Grader Notes. I hope the community to brings up each example of the missing notes. Would be great to see Grader Notes as a requirement for all submitted comics. At least for any comic receiving a grade less than a 9.8.

PS - I also scan all comics before submitting them for grading.

Edited by Upgrayedd2
added sentence

On 9/11/2022 at 8:30 AM, Gaard said:

This is a very real concern with CGC, and that's a shame. Is the level of concern with this issue the same (if at all) with other grading companies?

No.   Not even close.

You just don't see the constant reports of swapped labels with anyone else.

Edited by Sigur Ros

On 9/11/2022 at 10:18 AM, joeypost said:

CGC may be damaging books, but Voldy is losing them outright. 

Over the years, I've seen quite a number of complaints about lost books with CGC.

I've seen one involving CBCS.

On 9/11/2022 at 1:59 PM, Sigur Ros said:

Over the years, I've seen quite a number of complaints about lost books with CGC.

I've never seen one here that had the same magnitude as the incident with the other guys

It's also telling that most people found out about the other guys' incident without even being a member of their boards

Edited by JC25427N

On 9/11/2022 at 1:59 PM, Sigur Ros said:

Also a quick google search has shown a number of other threads from the other boards of people complaining about lost books. I think you just might not be looking for those incidents, and tunnel-vision on CGC issues. I would think all major grading companies have issues with some books slipping through the cracks especially with the boom in submissions across the board in recent years. But comparing something like this to the recent incident with the other guys is an egregiously gross comparison

Edited by JC25427N

CGC ruined the last slabbed book I bought (or will ever buy) between the time they graded it to the time they sent it to the unethical hole that sold it to me.  How many 9.2 or 9.4 sig series are sporting 9.8's out there I wonder and yes I can grade a book unlike to old world primates currently doing it at CGC...  Pay peanuts, get monkeys.  insufficiently_thoughtful_persons.  

There people are a massive tent full of clowns in my sole opinion of course. 

On 9/11/2022 at 4:43 PM, JC25427N said:

I've never seen one here that had the same magnitude as the incident with the other guys

It's also telling that most people found out about the other guys' incident without even being a member of their boards

Whataboutism... 

on page 171 of an 8 year old thread of CGC issues that has seemingly never fallen off the front page.

On 9/11/2022 at 5:15 PM, Sigur Ros said:

Whataboutism... 

on page 171 of an 8 year old thread of CGC issues that has seemingly never fallen off the front page.

Someone: "CBCS has lost 300+ books and broke chain of custody by sending them to an employee's residence"

You: "What about all those other times CGC lost a few books?"

There are a ton of topics where your quarterbacking of the other guys is an easy touch down, this is not one of them.

Also please acknowledge my other post where you mispresent facts (granted u didn't state them as facts, but either way its a bad misrepresentation) how often books are lost by the other guys. This wasn't an isolated incident nor not even close to being the first time they lost a book. When it comes to books slipping through the cracks, there is no reason to believe any grading company does it more than another.

But my main point and really the only one I care about, is that the major incident that happened recently CANNOT be compared to any incident of a few books lost through the cracks. It is an entirely different beast and comparing it to a regular case of a lost book is disgusting and makes me question the motives of anyone making such a comparison.

Edited by JC25427N

On 9/11/2022 at 5:21 PM, JC25427N said:

Also please acknowledge my other post where you mispresent facts (granted u didn't state them as facts, but

Lol...

Anyway, start a "Where in the world was quality control at CBCS?" thread and I'll gladly repeat the things that I've said on their forum.

Do you guys think it’s just newer books or the modern tier speed grading that’s causing the problems. I haven’t seen a ton of complaints about silver and Bronze Age personally but that doesn’t mean it is t happening. 

Also has cgc replied to this thread to try and alleviate any concerns at all? 

Im a little concerned haven’t been on the boards for a while didn’t want to submit while cgc was on Covid overload and now I have 3 silver age books I really want graded and I can’t imagine them with any other label than a cgc label. 

They clearly have some issues but they are better than what else is out there.