• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
43 43

6,157 posts in this topic

On 9/14/2022 at 12:34 PM, Phight said:

Why are you assuming internal notes have anything to do with graders' notes?

Because most submissions don't have any grader's notes listed and there is a such thing as "internal notes" to check for grading accuracy.

Edited by jjfversion1

On 9/14/2022 at 12:40 PM, Phight said:

You don't think internal notes are more like "rush this one, we had lost it" or "careful with the overhang when pressing", etc?

I don't think any of those notes would apply to the case at hand which is why I asked the question in the first place.

9.8 prescreen book gets graded a 9.6 and then submitter is told to send the book back for a re-review after internal notes are checked.

On 9/14/2022 at 2:46 PM, Iceman399 said:

@CGC Mike I can't honestly only do so much of cgcs GD job for them and they still make simple mistakes. Best of all qc 5 checker missed it. Like holy cow. 

20220914_163944.jpg

If they manage to start paying attention to these, maybe I can get my Canadian newsstands sorted out properly from now on

On 7/18/2022 at 12:27 PM, jokiing said:

Just opened a box of 25, fresh off the UPS truck. No scuffs (well, one small one) on the cases. Big improvement there.

(22) with Newton Rings

(2) 9.8 X-Men 1 (1991) cover pulled away from bottom staple on both. Too tight an inner well perchance.

(1) 9.8 Thor 372 bent lower front corner.

Also need to return Ronin 6 for the third time. First it was debris, next it was Newton Rings and now it's Newton Rings and debris.  :facepalm:

IMG_3738.jpg

Over a month and finally my ME shipment has gone out. My two X-Men 1, which were originally graded by CGC at 9.8 have come back to me graded 9.4 due to damage post grade. Not happy.

1083421217_x-men1.png.d8d65afd816acf87c24842261c5f26f9.png

Edited by jokiing

On 9/14/2022 at 7:49 PM, jokiing said:

Over a month and finally my ME shipment has gone out. My two X-Men 1, which were 9.8, have come back to me graded 9.4 due to damage post grade. Not happy.

1083421217_x-men1.png.d8d65afd816acf87c24842261c5f26f9.png

So the X-Mens were both 9.8 but then downgraded to 9.4 because of the staple tears they caused.... ?!

:pullhair: Don't know if you would consider this quality control.

All my books are sent back by FedEx and they are shipped directly to the local Walgreens to be held there.  Someone shipped my books back using USPS, they arrived in the my city today and got refused (don't know if they tried to deliver them to Walgreens) and now are on there way back to Florida.  This was a FT order that had not moved in ages.  I was happy to see it finally get done and shipped, didn't noticed they screwed up the shipping.  :tonofbricks:

• Administrator
On 9/14/2022 at 3:22 PM, jjfversion1 said:

Hi Mike,

Is there a reason why "internal notes" may not always be included as part of the grader's notes that is accessible to the public?

I mentioned internal notes as a way to see if the grade said 9.6 or 9.8  My post had nothing to do with graders notes.  

On 9/14/2022 at 4:46 PM, Iceman399 said:

@CGC Mike I can't honestly only do so much of cgcs GD job for them and they still make simple mistakes. Best of all qc 5 checker missed it. Like holy cow. 

20220914_163944.jpg

what am I missing here?

They didn't list the name Comics & Oddities Foil Edition?

On 9/14/2022 at 3:46 PM, Iceman399 said:

20220914_163944.jpg

I don't know if this happens to anyone else but I would highly suggest when your submissions hit Submission Tracking that you check to see if what's listed in your Submission Tracking matches what you put down on your packing slip.  If you don't, it's a recipe for an ME.

I submit a small number of books at a time and far too often these past several MONTHS, there is always one book or two from my packing list that is changed to something totally different when it hits SFG or GEI.  I ask why this keeps happening and I've yet to receive any kind of explanation.

To illustrate, I've attached an example of a packing slip with the books listed and what they were ALL changed to when they got to GEI.

4094347 Packing Slip.jpg

4094347 Submission Tracking.jpg

On 9/15/2022 at 2:30 PM, workingdog said:

I don't know if this happens to anyone else but I would highly suggest when your submissions hit Submission Tracking that you check to see if what's listed in your Submission Tracking matches what you put down on your packing slip.  If you don't, it's a recipe for an ME.

I submit a small number of books at a time and far too often these past several MONTHS, there is always one book or two from my packing list that is changed to something totally different when it hits SFG or GEI.  I ask why this keeps happening and I've yet to receive any kind of explanation.

To illustrate, I've attached an example of a packing slip with the books listed and what they were ALL changed to when they got to GEI.

4094347 Packing Slip.jpg

4094347 Submission Tracking.jpg

does this work with mark jewelers as well? edit @CGC Mike I have one now that shows the "national diamond insert" as it should, but I have another in a later sub that is a mark jewelers, that is NOT labeled that way under submission tracking. Both submissions are "sfg" so idk

I've always been told it will be "corrected with the graders", but is not always done. IS there a precaution I should be taking?

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 9/15/2022 at 2:32 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

does this work with mark jewelers as well? edit @CGC Mike I have one now that shows the "national diamond insert" as it should, but I have another in a later sub that is a mark jewelers, that is NOT labeled that way under submission tracking. Both submissions are "sfg" so idk

I've always been told it will be "corrected with the graders", but is not always done. IS there a precaution I should be taking?

Thank you, then it's not just me.  I've also been told the graders will correct it but like you say it's not always done.  I've always had to intervene and call CGC.  And if you get a response something akin to "Well, we'll pass this on to our Verification Team."  WHY is there a need for a Verification Team.  Shouldn't the Verification Team be the graders?!?  Regarding your Mark Jewelers designation, if it was on your packing slip but not described as such in Submission Tracking, I would call CGC right away.

Good luck!

On 9/15/2022 at 3:30 PM, workingdog said:

[sarcasm] They're busy [/sarcasm]