• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

STAR WARS : The Force Awakens Dec, 18, 2015

1,516 posts in this topic

Something else I noticed about the Starkiller base. When the base died, did it go back to light? Meaning the planet was destroyed but instead of being just dust did it leave a small star in its place?

Yes, the power of the sun was sucked into the core of the planet. The planet (containment) was blown away, but the sun was still inside... now it's a sun in that spot.

Something else I noticed about the Starkiller base. When the base died, did it go back to light? Meaning the planet was destroyed but instead of being just dust did it leave a small star in its place?

Yes, the power of the sun was sucked into the core of the planet. The planet (containment) was blown away, but the sun was still inside... now it's a sun in that spot.

So the planet stands as a metaphor for the final sequence. Ren kills his father as the sun goes dark (as someone previously mentioned in the death scene lighting). Rey defeats Ren and emerges as the new hope for the galaxy and there is light again with a new star.

So the planet stands as a metaphor for the final sequence. Ren kills his father as the sun goes dark (as someone previously mentioned in the death scene lighting). Rey defeats Ren and emerges as the new hope for the galaxy and there is light again with a new star.

You got it.

The star was moved out of its old location and briefly held captive by the First Order... but now in a new place, the star can really shine. :grin:

The ending of this movie (and I do not think I have seen this yet), despite all of its' similarities to the first Star Wars, is borderline a Pyrrhic victory. Yes, the destroyed the Starkiller base. In the process however they: lost half their fleet, Ren lived, and the Republic was destroyed. It does not strike me as the same level of lose to the First Order that the Death Star was to the empire (despite the base's scale). A New Hope ended with celebration, this time it was much more subdued.

ZCv9zfj.png

What an amazing ride in only ten days!

:applause:

Any idea what the Worldwide Adjusted Dollars are based on? ???

From what I can tell, it looks like we already have a $3B movie in the form of the first Star Wars.

Nevertheless, I guess the real question is whether we will finally have a movie that will beat the adjusted box office numbers for Gone With the Wind. Personally, I strongly doubt it. It's been 76 long years now and nobody has been able to beat that movie yet as seen in the following All Time Domestic Adjusted Box Office numbers below:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

Based upon that chart, it looks like Avatar and Titanic are coming in at #14 and #5 respectively, with the first Star Wars sitting in the #2 position behind Gone With the Wind. hm

Using an inflation calculator that factors in CPI from 1913 to 2015, that last column compares like dollar figures which are converted from the box office worldwide total.

This US Inflation Calculator uses the latest US government CPI data published on December 15, 2015 to adjust for inflation and calculate the cumulative inflation rate through November 2015. The Consumer Price Index (CPI) and inflation for December 2015 is scheduled for release by the United States government on January 20, 2016.

Boxofficemojo and Boxoffice only adjust the domestic totals in their comparison data. Not the worldwide box office total.

And yes, when you do that with all movies the power of Gone With The Wind and Star Wars surely shines.

Using an inflation calculator that factors in CPI from 1913 to 2015, that last column compares like dollar figures which are converted from the box office worldwide total.

This US Inflation Calculator uses the latest US government CPI data published on December 15, 2015 to adjust for inflation and calculate the cumulative inflation rate through November 2015. The Consumer Price Index (CPI) and inflation for December 2015 is scheduled for release by the United States government on January 20, 2016.

Boxofficemojo and Boxoffice only adjust the domestic totals in their comparison data. Not the worldwide box office total.

And yes, when you do that with all movies the power of Gone With The Wind and Star Wars surely shines.

Am I the only one who thinks the inflation metrics are wonky?

if you look at the movies by year, the inflation percentages are all over the place, even within the same years. (shrug)

if you look at the movies by year, the inflation percentages are all over the place, even within the same years. (shrug)

Some movies ran for years or were re-released (decades later). They keep adding to their totals, but the original release year (inflation) isn't used for every dollar.

Some movies ran for years or were re-released (decades later). They keep adding to their totals, but the original release year (inflation) isn't used for every dollar.

Ahhh. That makes a lot more sense. Thanks

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm?sort=adjustedgross&order=DESC&adjust_yr=1&p=.htm

This list is also interesting, because it looks at the estimated number of (domestic) tickets sold.

That seems more reasonable than trying to adjust for inflation across decades.

Actually, the good thing with Boxofficemojo's data is it breaks out those re-releases into separate datasets. So the numbers you are seeing per movie are supposed to be for just that individual release.

Star Wars (1977) just has such massive numbers, in addition to the extreme profit due to the very tiny budget. It throws off the results of the remaining franchise.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm?sort=adjustedgross&order=DESC&adjust_yr=1&p=.htm

This list is also interesting, because it looks at the estimated number of (domestic) tickets sold.

Domestic only - though when you go back to the older movies THAT is the market at the time which really counted to the studio.

Domestic only - though when you go back to the older movies THAT is the market at the time which really counted to the studio.

Right. I'm not dismissing the international, but suppose a Chinese film made $3B, but only $200M in the U.S.

Would/should the U.S. consider it the #1 movie box office of all-time? hm

Nothing is ever going to break Gone With The Wind for adjusted sales figures.

We live in too different a world for anything to compete with those numbers.

If they're calculating with ticket sales multiplied by the dollar and the cost of inflation, and basically it's just a comparison of ticket sales (then) vs. ticket sales (now)... Gone With The Wind is at least possible to beat.

If they're calculating with ticket sales multiplied by the dollar and the cost of inflation, and basically it's just a comparison of ticket sales (then) vs. ticket sales (now)... Gone With The Wind is at least possible to beat.

It's interesting to see the ticket sales numbers. I'd imagine it would be hard to beat those now, though. The original theatrical run of GWTW wind was essentially years, and if you wanted to see it, you had to go to the movies. Regardless of how popular a movie like Force awakens is, there's already a blu release date for 4 months after the premiere. There are so many different ways today to see a movie that has nothing to do with tickets sales.

I'd be amazed if any film could beat it.

Right. I'm not dismissing the international, but suppose a Chinese film made $3B, but only $200M in the U.S.

Would/should the U.S. consider it the #1 movie box office of all-time? hm

Oh, I totally get what you are saying.

When comparing these mega-movies from the past 30-40 years, in most cases you are safe to compare either domestic or international box office results. There are some I call out in my larger comparison charts that purposely avoided the worldwide audience due to poor domestic results (e.g. Superman II, Superman III, Superman IV, Supergirl). Those need to stick with domestic comparisons.

It's interesting to see the ticket sales numbers. I'd imagine it would be hard to beat those now, though. The original theatrical run of GWTW wind was essentially years, and if you wanted to see it, you had to go to the movies. Regardless of how popular a movie like Force awakens is, there's already a blu release date for 4 months after the premiere. There are so many different ways today to see a movie that has nothing to do with tickets sales.

I've also wondered if there was less cinema competition back then like we have now. So a movie was such a big deal for its time, a major production like this would be a huge family outing. People would want to go so they could experience what everyone else was talking about.

We have cinema overload. If we are not happy with a week's releases, all we have to do is wait is one or two weeks and another huge movie comes out.

I've also wondered if there was less cinema competition back then like we have now. So a movie was such a big deal for its time, a major production like this would be a huge family outing. People would want to go so they could experience what everyone else was talking about.

We have cinema overload. If we are not happy with a week's releases, all we have to do is wait is one or two weeks and another huge movie comes out.

That's definitely true, but the U.S. population in 1939 was 130million.

Today it's 320million.

How many theaters were available to the population then?

More options now, more people now. hm