• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

STAR WARS : The Force Awakens Dec, 18, 2015

1,516 posts in this topic

Profitable in only the first weekend? That should be a record as well.

for a $200m budget movie yes, but Im betting there are some low budget hits that were profitable after the first weekend.

just looked Blair Witch, $600k budget, opening weekend $1.5m

can you imagine if SW doubled it's budget in the first weekend?

the majority were correct. in re-reading this thread the thing that stands out is how quickly AoU fizzled domestically.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8570821&fpart=1

heck with AoU only topping $459m domestic, SW could end up beating it for 2015 reciepts despite only being in theaters for 15 days of the year.

for a $200m budget movie yes, but Im betting there are some low budget hits that were profitable after the first weekend.

just looked Blair Witch, $600k budget, opening weekend $1.5m

That is a fair point. There have been low-budget films that have been tremendous opening hits.

But to see a $200 MM budget movie do 2.6X in its opening weekend is incredible. Which is why Jurassic World was such a big news item. Though its budget was $150 MM.

Although the list would differ when adjusting for inflation across all movies released, the in-year USD list for biggest opening weekend is heaped full of comic book and fantasy goodies.

vPcEOKp.png

:whee:

I wonder how much The Dark Knight Rises was impacted by that first weekend theater shooting?

Although the list would differ when adjusting for inflation across all movies released, the in-year USD list for biggest opening weekend is heaped full of comic book and fantasy goodies.

vPcEOKp.png

I wonder how much The Dark Knight Rises was impacted by that first weekend theater shooting?

It took a big hit. It was tracking even higher than The Avengers before the tragedy occurred.

Saw it again today with a bunch a different people. They all loved it.

Just an amazing movie! The most important thing is this movie puts Star Wars back on the map!

Just like the Marvel movies made the Marvel heroes popular with mainstream again, so does this Star Wars movie!

Disney is on a roll!

Marvel, Pixar and now Star Wars!

vPcEOKp.png

It took a big hit. It was tracking even higher than The Avengers before the tragedy occurred.

yes, $50MM was the # that was tossed around after the tragedy

just looked Blair Witch, $22k budget, opening weekend $1.5m

Fixed it for you

Just saw it - wow! Simply awesome movie with a vibrant old school Star Wars feel to it. I wouldn't go so far to say it matched up with the original three just because the character development of the new characters was not in the same ballpark of the older characters. But overall a nice sold A movie which will have me and I'm sure plenty of other people wanting to see it a couple times.

In the theatre with the wife and kids waiting for the lights to dim....

It's been a long time since I've been this excited to see a movie. I suspect based on what people have said, I will see this multiple times.

Saw that movie today in the noon with friends. I find it real quite good. So close almost like I felt when I saw Star Wars (episode 4) in 1977 as a boy. Can't wait for episode 8 in 2017 next. :banana: