• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

STAR WARS : The Force Awakens Dec, 18, 2015

1,516 posts in this topic

I don't wanna look in the spoiler thread, but I have a question:

Is it necessary to have seen the prequel trilogy in order to fully enjoy The Force Awakens, or is prior viewing of the original trilogy sufficient ?

I couldn't make it all the way through the last three movies, but I'm considering doing so before I see the new one. I don't want to unless it's really necessary.

A yes - no answer would be sufficient, sarcasm is welcomed, and thanks in advance !

Is it necessary to have seen the prequel trilogy in order to fully enjoy The Force Awakens, or is prior viewing of the original trilogy sufficient ?

I couldn't make it all the way through the last three movies, but I'm considering doing so before I see the new one. I don't want to unless it's really necessary.

A yes - no answer would be sufficient, sarcasm is welcomed, and thanks in advance !

No you don't but yes you should because Revenge of the Sith is great.

No you don't but yes you should because Revenge of the Sith is great.

+1. Probably good to watch the last half of Episode III Which is epic.

has a WH ever had such an administration that's so tapped into every media source.

Going to 11:40 showing this morning with wife and kids.....wife says we're leaving too early (10:30) guess we'll see who's right. Lady at the theater said we should GET there at 10:30.

Over on Boxoffice.com's message forum, this has been posted:

Force Awakens Friday –which includes that $57M it made in Thursday previews– is between $130M-$145M per industry estimates (not Disney). This puts Force Awakens in an opening weekend range of $250M-$275M...

:whatthe:

If I remember right...the prequels did almost the same $$ Friday to saturday to sunday with only like a 5-10% drop over the weekend.

So could that mean 70-80 million on Sat and Sunday each? It certainly puts $250-275 in range for the weekend.

NORTH AMERICA: Weekend Estimates: 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' Poised for Historic $250M Record Opening

Saturday Update / Early Weekend Projections:

For all of us who wondered what a modern Star Wars movie could accomplish at the box office if it had similar universal praise behind it once enjoyed by the original films... we now know.

The numbers are in, and Star Wars has re-written the record books and all preconceived notions of what's possible at the box office all over again. Disney estimates The Force Awakens launched to an unprecedented $120.5 million on opening day Friday, blowing away the previous single day and opening day records of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 ($91.1 million) by a whopping 32 percent.

In all, BoxOffice is projecting a historic $250 million opening weekend domestically, with potential to go even higher. That would best Jurassic World's recent $208.8 million record debut by nearly 20 percent even without the advantage of opening during summer when schools are out and holiday shopping isn't competing for audience attention.

The weekend as a whole is bound to set records as well: Star Wars and the new releases alone will likely combine for more than $266 million, which is the cumulative total of the biggest box office weekend ever when counting all releases (achieved during Jurassic World's opening weekend).

Movie records now broken by The Force Awakens:

• Largest Thursday Previews: $57 million* (Previous Record: $43.5 million, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2)
  • Largest Friday, Opening Day, Single Day: $120.5 million (Previous: $91 million, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2)
  • December Single Day: $120.5 million (est.) (Previous: $37.13 million, The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey)
  • Widest December Opening: 4,134 theaters (Previous: 4,045 theaters, The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey)
  • December Opening Weekend: $120.5 million + (Previous: $84.62 million, The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey)
  • Fastest to $100 Million: 1 Day (Previous: 2 Days, Jurassic World)

* The Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2 record included midnight only screenings while Force Awakens screenings began at 7 PM on Thursday and included Star Wars marathon ticket sales, tickets that were sold for as much as $59.99 each.

Records still up for grabs this weekend:

• Largest Saturday: $69.6 million (Jurassic World)
  • Largest Sunday: $57.2 million (Jurassic World)
  • Domestic Opening Weekend: $208.8 million (Jurassic World)
  • International Opening Weekend: $316.1 million (Jurassic World)
  • Global Opening Weekend: $524.9 million (Jurassic World)
  • Highest Per Theater Average (Wide Opening): $48,855 / 4,274 theaters (Jurassic World)
  • Top Opening Weekend for PG-13 Rated Film: $208.8 million (Jurassic World)
  • Top Holiday Opening Weekend**: $158 million (The Hunger Games: Catching Fire)
  • #1 Movie Weekend Market Share: 84.5% of Top 12 (Avengers: Age of Ultron)
  • Biggest Weekend Overall (Top 12 Gross): $266 million (June 12-14, 2015)
  • Biggest December Weekend (Top 12 Gross): $259.9 million (Dec 25-27, 2009)

** Holiday is defined as the first Friday in November through New Year's week or weekend.

:applause: