• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

STAR WARS : The Force Awakens Dec, 18, 2015

1,516 posts in this topic

JUMANJI REMAKE??!!?! GTFOH NO WAY!! I HATE WHEN THEY DO THAT

^^this... +1

I think the original movie was solid enough. Leave it alone.

They are even releasing a Ben-Hur remake, with Jack Huston in Charlton Heston's role as Judah Ben‑Hur.

:ohnoez:

JUMANJI REMAKE??!!?! GTFOH NO WAY!! I HATE WHEN THEY DO THAT

^^this... +1

I think the original movie was solid enough. Leave it alone.

They are even releasing a Ben-Hur remake, with Jack Huston in Charlton Heston's role as Judah Ben‑Hur.

:ohnoez:

I have never seen Ben-Hur with Charlton Heston. I think it`s time.

:preach:

I wonder if the Ben Hur remake will be closer to Lew Wallace's novel? The 1925 silent is, and it's a spectacular film in its own right.

Box Office: 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' Hits $1.54B Globally, Tops 'Avengers'

J.J. Abrams' record-shattering Star Wars: The Force Awakens raced past Furious 7 and Marvel's The Avengers at the worldwide box office on Monday to land at No. 4 on the list of the all-time top-grossing films with a staggering total of $1.54 billion, not accounting for inflation.

Furious 7 (2015) grossed $1.515 billion globally; The Avengers (2012), $1.519 billion.

And in North America, the Disney and Lucasfilm release is on the verge of overtaking Avatar ($760.5 million) to become the top-grossing title of all time, again not accounting for inflation. It's still not clear whether it will achieve the milestone on Tuesday or Wednesday. However, Force Awakens isn't likely to overtake Avatar ($2.78 billion) worldwide.

159903.jpg.4c2d8710fa99bb38f00bec6701fd1b04.jpg

I don't get it. The movie in 18 days did what Avatar did in it's entire 30+ week run, it hasn't even opened in China yet and yet they are confident to say that it won't crack 2.7 billion? Is it really tracking that poorly there?

I don't get it. The movie in 18 days did what Avatar did in it's entire 30+ week run, it hasn't even opened in China yet and yet they are confident to say that it won't crack 2.7 billion? Is it really tracking that poorly there?

I think they are making statistical assumptions based on their historic tracking experience. But this movie has been so unique with its growth, I disregard the estimates and wait out the real numbers to hit.

Especially with same fans going back to watch this film multiple times, there isn't a clean model to forecast these things. Other than lowball your estimate, and have it exceed the numbers every time.

i get it. Avatar 2nd weekend was down 2%, Star Wars was down 40%. Avatar third weekend was down 9%, Star Wars was down 40%. if that rate of decline continues, Star Wars gets to just over $1BB domestic, currently Int'l (ex China) is only running 5% ahead of domestic. if that gap widens to 10%, that puts it at $2.1BB ex China. China would need to do $700MM to top Avatar, that's nearly 2X what any US film has done there and they've only got a 30 day window to do it in. so either: the rate of decline in the US has to slow, the gap between US and Int'l has to widen or China has to do $700MM for Star Wars to get to $2.8BB. could happen but it's not a sure thing.

i get it. Avatar 2nd weekend was down 2%, Star Wars was down 40%. Avatar third weekend was down 9%, Star Wars was down 40%. if that rate of decline continues, Star Wars gets to just over $1BB domestic, currently Int'l (ex China) is only running 5% ahead of domestic. if that gap widens to 10%, that puts it at $2.1BB ex China. China would need to do $700MM to top Avatar, that's nearly 2X what any US film has done there and they've only got a 30 day window to do it in. so either: the rate of decline in the US has to slow, the gap between US and Int'l has to widen or China has to do $700MM for Star Wars to get to $2.8BB. could happen but it's not a sure thing.

Avatar was more of a "OH SNAP, You gotta go see it, it was great" resulting in more and more people going to see it.

While I enjoyed Star Wars, EVERYONE went to see it (relatively) early, because they've been waiting so long and/or wanted to avoid spoilers. Generally, people who weren't otherwise going to see it would still probably won't have their minds changed by good word of mouth, whereas word of mouth proved to be strong advertising, keeping numbers higher for a long amount of time.

Avatar was more of a "OH SNAP, You gotta go see it, it was great" resulting in more and more people going to see it.

While I enjoyed Star Wars, EVERYONE went to see it (relatively) early, because they've been waiting so long and/or wanted to avoid spoilers. Generally, people who weren't otherwise going to see it would still probably won't have their minds changed by good word of mouth, whereas word of mouth proved to be strong advertising, keeping numbers higher for a long amount of time.

I remember going to see Avatar at a 3-D showing with a friend. When they went through that fluorescent forest with the floating seeds flying across the screen, the colors and experience were incredible.

It was worth the money!

Still think a "How Han met Chewie" film would be cool.

hm

Tinder

Kneel before Zod!

:blush:

Ooops. Wrong movie.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens becomes the highest-grossing domestic film

Today marks the day that James Cameron's juggernaut, AVATAR, is finally usurped from the #1 spot on the domestic box-office list. J.J. Abrams' STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS moves into first place today, after bringing in $8 million on Tuesday, making for a a domestic total of $758.2 million. AVATAR rests at $760 million, which has undoubtedly been passed by at this point. For those keeping track, THE FORCE AWAKENS has reached the #1 spot in just 20 days. By comparison, AVATAR had only just passed $360 million mark in the same time span. Insert obligatory "not-adjusted for inflation" remark here.

The next stop for THE FORCE AWAKENS will be its final resting place on the global list. Worldwide, STAR WARS has brought in about $1.5 billion. There's still a ways to go if it hopes to top AVATAR's $2.7 billion, but STAR WARS has yet to in China (which it will this Friday). AVATAR didn't do much business up front, but it had some serious legs. Only time will tell if THE FORCE AWAKENS will be able to hit $3 billion, but it's had a hell of a start!