• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SPIDER-MAN Sony-Marvel potential deal OFFICIAL THREAD

351 posts in this topic

Joss Whedon on Spider-Man?!?! :applause: I'm sure DC is kicking itself over scraping Whedon's Wonder Woman project.
You are kidding right?

Not everything Joss touches turns to gold.

Serenity (although most triumphant) turned out to be a dud for Universal. Dollhouse never found an audience after it's first season.

Add on Warner/DC's non Batman/Superman track record at the box-office, you can understand them not wanting another Catwoman dud that costs $100 million.

If The Avengers movie is any indication of how Whedon would handle Spider-Man, 'nuff said! So far it looks to me like Whedon has the golden touch in the Marvel Universe.

Serenity was a bust for me and I was never a fan of Dollhouse. Had Whedon been given the support he had doing Avengers at the time he did Firefly and the rest, who knows how it would have turned out. FOX showed episodes of Firefly out of order and Universal did next to no advertising or PR for Serenity.

Now you were talking about Time Warner before (Wonder Woman), not the Marvel universe. Add on Wonder Woman's dated origins, time setting, those are some big decisions for a summer tentpole and franchise opener. I've always been a fan of Whedon's unique style of modern storytelling since I saw his first screenwritten movie Buffy at the Premier 8 in '92. I was just saying even when he writes his fanboy heart out to an aging licensed property Alien: Resurrection, the results don't exactly set the Heartlands afire at the multiplexes. I never bought that excuse about Firefly releasing the episodes out of order alienating it's viewers. People didn't want a sci-fi western at that time of "current events". What was the first released episode? The train robbery one? I always thought that set the stage for the characters better than the pilot did anyway. This was gonna be a cult show right off the bat. Marketing a cancelled space opera show (9 episodes aired?) that has nothing to do with Star Wars with a cast of unknowns would have been a PR nightmare (PR nightmare like cancelling the Terminator series before your $100 million+ costing Salvation opens) for anyone. I agree on Dollhouse at first. The first four episodes were pretty USA network worthy, but it got going with it's mythology and got really good.

Myself, I'm glad Whedon finally had a non-created movie work for him using his brilliant story-driven craft. But, Whedon is way better at building universes than borrowing them. I'm not sure Wonder Woman was ready, like the Marvel U was ramping up to at that time. :)

I liked Andrew Garfield in ASM. McGuire was great in the first movie he did, but the rest of that franchise sucked . I'm always hopeful that Marvel will be able to reclaim full rights from Sony instead of creating a co-op deal.

Joss Whedon on Spider-Man?!?! :applause: I'm sure DC is kicking itself over scraping Whedon's Wonder Woman project.

I thought the second one was stronger than the first. I liked Molina's Doc Ock as a villain more than the DaFoe Green Goblin

This.

Sony should have listened to its creative gut.

SPIDER-MAN: Info On TASM2's Low Test Screening Scores, "Marc Webb Experience", And More

-------------------

In emails dated June 6th, 2014, Sony boss Amy Pascal addresses the possibility of putting Shailene Woodley's Mary Jane Watson back in the sequel after it had been revealed that the Divergent star had been cut. "I think it makes us look idiotic," she says. "And she may reapp ear someday," Pascal adds before dismissing the idea of putting the character's scenes back in the movie.

-------------------

And no Sinister Six?

-------------------

In a lengthy email exchange between Amy Pascal and Doug Belgrad on November 13th, Pascal mentions the following: "We hired drew Goddard to write and direct a sinister six movie...Now it's a Spiderman movie...I love drew...I would not have hired him to direct the next Spiderman movie after the Marc Webb experience." Rather vague and out of context, but it appears as if Drew Goddard has transformed The Sinister Six into a Spider-Man movie, as some rumors have recently alluded to.

-------------------

Ahhh. There were some additional emails on 'The Sinister Six' and who to cast, though this may be before Goddard's changes.

Channing Tatum As 'Venom'? Here's Who Else Sony Wanted For SINISTER SIX...

1) Drew Goddard apparently loved the idea of Tom Hardy playing Sandman

2) Emily Blunt as Scorpia

3) Sean Penn, Denzel Washington, George Clooney, and Daniel Craig were also all discussed/rejected for roles, with Penn directly mentioned as a Doctor Octopus candidate.

4) Colin Firth is also suggested as The Vulture.

5) Amy Pascal "jokingly" suggests Jared Leto for Felicia Hardy (isn't she sweet?).

6) Idris Elba meanwhile is apparently "only good when he speaks British", and Pascal even suggests turning to Jackie Chan.

7) "original bad guy walter white" who she asks, "is he ever good in anything else".

8) Channing Tatum apparently wants to play Venom, but now that he's Gambit, that seems less likely.

:facepalm:

Ahhh. There were some additional emails on 'The Sinister Six' and who to cast, though this may be before Goddard's changes.

3) Sean Penn, Denzel Washington, George Clooney, and Daniel Craig were also all discussed/rejected for roles, with Penn directly mentioned as a Doctor Octopus candidate.

5) Amy Pascal "jokingly" suggests Jared Leto for Felicia Hardy (isn't she sweet?).

6) Idris Elba meanwhile is apparently "only good when he speaks British", and Pascal even suggests turning to Jackie Chan.

7) "original bad guy walter white" who she asks, "is he ever good in anything else".

8) Channing Tatum apparently wants to play Venom, but now that he's Gambit, that seems less likely.

Please Sony,sell the film rights back to Marvel.

Please Sony,sell the film rights back to Marvel.

If there was ever a doubt in their mind, all they have to do is run these options by some prospective movie viewers and ask, "Can I get your feedback in a focus group?'

The giggles as people walk away should be all the answers they need.

Sony should have listened to its creative gut.

SPIDER-MAN: Info On TASM2's Low Test Screening Scores, "Marc Webb Experience", And More

-------------------

In emails dated June 6th, 2014, Sony boss Amy Pascal addresses the possibility of putting Shailene Woodley's Mary Jane Watson back in the sequel after it had been revealed that the Divergent star had been cut. "I think it makes us look idiotic," she says. "And she may reapp ear someday," Pascal adds before dismissing the idea of putting the character's scenes back in the movie.

-------------------

Shailene Woodley is slowly becoming the next Jennifer Lawrence. With a major stand-out role in a 'teen movie called Fault in our Stars (that movie made some serious cabbage) and a solid franchise (Divergent), she was lucky they cut her footage in that turkey. As in Kevin Bacon, "Grizzly II" kind of lucky! :P

I know you can't judge people solely by their e-mails, but man, just seeing the things Amy Pascal has said, it makes me wonder how in god's name she got in that position.
Ya, there were some real head slappers in there. doh!

I know you can't judge people solely by their e-mails, but man, just seeing the things Amy Pascal has said, it makes me wonder how in god's name she got in that position.
Ya, there were some real head slappers in there. doh!
$$$

^^^

$50 million 22 Jump Street almost makes $200 million, Men in Black is slowly dying domestically (although #3 grossed the highest of the franchise worldwide), ummm... Crossover movie or make Jenko and Schmidt MiB's and in 3-D. hm

Like I said...

$$$

^^^

Yeah.....with exception of Jackie Chan, not a single person on this list is coming near a Sony Spider-Man spinoff movie. Funny list though.

If they're recasting, they should just hire the guy who they passed on a few years ago who-with respect to Andrew Garfield who did an ok job-was the best guy for the job in the first place: Logan Lerman. That guy KILLED it in The Perks of Being a Wallflower. Cookie-cutter perfection for Peter Parker.

Oh Lord!

Drew Goddard Thinks A 'Godzilla' Sized 'Sandman' In SINISTER SIX Could Top DOCTOR STRANGE

--------------------

I'm gonna write him up a note this weekend. But, off the top of my head, some possible talking points are:

- We're doing something different - it's time to celebrate the bad guys for once.

-We're inspired by the classic team/mission of movies: Dirty Dozen, Magnificent Seven, Guns of Navarone. We want that spirit, that SWAGGER.

- If the Spider-Man franchiseis the Beatles, then we're the Sex Pistols.

-Flint Marco is gonna steal the show.

-The character is pure id - the anarchic enthusiast of the team. A chance to have FUN while celebrating being bad.

-Tom embodies that anarchy, that triumphant nihilism - we've seen him tap into that spirit before in roles like Bronson, but now we have the chance to crank the volume up to ELEVEN.

-He's gonna storm through London at the end like God-f***ing-zilla. That is not purple prose. He'sgoing to be AS TALL AS A SKYSCRAPER in the third act of the movie. What does Dr. Strange have? Magic tricks? [frick] you, magic tricks - we've got a skyscraper Tom Hardy knocking down buildings!!!!

--------------------

:ohnoez: