• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$10,000

98 posts in this topic

I would say FF #1 and AMS #1 are under the radar compared to the marvel movie books. Both are classics and will always go up in value. A decent grade could be had for $10,000.00 and I would hold either for 15 to 20 years they are entrenched in comic book history. The higher prices get on the AF #15 people settle for AMS #1. my 2c

Agree with Hulk #1 and B&B #28

Yes, I would say AF15 or B&B28.

Undervalued DC keys are tempting...but would demand finally push the values up to "where they should be" in 15-20 years? hm I'd grab a Hulk 1 or AF 15

I remember when AF 15's were going for a thousand dollars,and I thought then that that was the ceiling.then they went for 5K,and thought "gotta be the highest it can go". What I'm getting at is, I don't think there is a ceiling for books like AF 15 or Hulk #1,or Showcase 4's and books like it. I think you should try to get the grails you desire as soon as you can,even at today's prices.Surely they will seem like a bargain in another twenty years.

Considering that Batman and Spider-Man are the two most popular superheroes in the world, AF 15 seems like a relative bargain. Considering what the first Batman can sell for, is $10k for an AF 15 3.0 really "high"...?

Granted, the major difference between the two is scarcity - I get that AF 15 is downright plentiful in comparison. All I am saying is that it's hard to look at current prices on AF 15 and see a ceiling relative to the latest record-breaking prices on Tec 27, etc. At the end of the day, the demand for AF 15 will always far outstrip supply, and that's not going to change. And...for entire generations that grew up on Batman and Spider-Man, one key first appearance is much more affordable than the other.

Wish I had all of this insight back in 2004 when I sold my blue 7.0...for just less than $8k. I just paid more than that for a 3.0.

Oh well, live and learn.

I wouldn't chase any books that have been white-hot the last few years (Hulk 1 and AF 15) or books that are plentiful (X-men 1, DD 1, Spidey 1, etc.). A lot of folks have mentioned FF 1, and I think that hits the spot well. The DC SA keys (Showcase 4 and 22 and B&B 28) are possibilities, but they also seem to have blown up recently.

Perhaps OAAW 83? :shy:

Personally, this is the LAST place I would park my money. Value for OOAW 83 has much more to do with low supply, than high demand. Given a choice, I'd much rather have a key where 2500 copies exist and there at 20,000 buyers for that book, than a key where 500 copies exist, and there are 600 buyers. IMO, AF 15 just has a much stronger market foundation. And...Spider-Man is only getting more popular. The same cannot be said about Sgt Rock.

I'm very grateful for all the advice guys! It's been quite an interesting read!

WTTB! good discussion.

I remember in the 80's when I worked in a comic store there was an AF 15, maybe a 1.5 up on the wall, it was $100. The owner of the shop had it up as more of display piece because at that ridiculous price no one would have been crazy enough to buy it.

I'm very grateful for all the advice guys! It's been quite an interesting read!

WTTB! good discussion.

I remember in the 80's when I worked in a comic store there was an AF 15, maybe a 1.5 up on the wall, it was $100. The owner of the shop had it up as more of display piece because at that ridiculous price no one would have been crazy enough to buy it.

Perhaps we could all pool our money together for a time machine? :)

Tales To Astonish 13

Tales of Suspense 39

Iron Man and Groot`s first appearance have the most upside to me.

Groot is already more popular than Sgt.Rock with mainstream.

Groot`s popularity has potential to have a unheard of popularity in merchandising like Jim Davis and his Garfield creation.

Iron Man is Marvel`s best hero to adapt to the future generations, as he is a modern tech hero.

You know he doesn`t wear long underwear or have a cape?

A lot of the new generations think somebody fighting crime wearing long underwear is campy. (:

Those are my two picks.

Also be cautious with DC as long-term picks, other then Batman and Superman the rest are questionable as long-term picks. Short-Term go right ahead, but be leery of long-term. If your going to go long-term with DC properties, then the DC Vertigo characters could be the sleepers.

Just suggestions.

Have a Happy Holidays everyone..

Tales To Astonish 13

Tales of Suspense 39

Groot`s popularity has potential to have a unheard of popularity in merchandising like Jim Davis and his Garfield creation.

Iron Man is Marvel`s best hero to adapt to the future generations, as he is a modern tech hero.

A lot of the new generations think somebody fighting crime wearing long underwear is campy. (:

Those are my two picks.

Also be cautious with DC as long-term picks, other then Batman and Superman the rest are questionable as long-term picks. Short-Term go right ahead, but be leery of long-term. If your going to go long-term with DC properties, then the DC Vertigo characters could be the sleepers.

Just suggestions.

+1 I agree with everything you just said. Well thought out. Still, I'd add Hulk 1 & FF 1 to that list. I have a feeling ten years from now FF will be a Marvel property.

Tales To Astonish 13

Tales of Suspense 39

Those are my two picks.

Just suggestions.

+1 I agree with everything you just said. Well thought out. Still, I'd add Hulk 1 & FF 1 to that list. I have a feeling ten years from now FF will be a Marvel property.

I totally agree on the TTA 13, it's undervalued and relatively scarce. I think it could easily double in relatively short order just to catch up with the other Marvel keys. Some think it is somewhat of a "flash in the pan" but I agree with gadzukes' arguments.

Also agree on the ToS 39, it's on my buy list for 2015.

I totally agree on the TTA 13, it's undervalued and relatively scarce. I think it could easily double in relatively short order just to catch up with the other Marvel keys. Some think it is somewhat of a "flash in the pan" but I agree with gadzukes' arguments.

It's already selling for more than DD 1 and Strange Tales 110, and almost what Avengers 1 is selling for. This is about the last book I would buy right now if you're looking for price appreciation over a 10-15 year timeframe.

Same with FF 45 mentioned earlier. Hot book in the short-term for sure, but it's already selling for more than FF 48 and has increased an astounding 8 - 10X over the last 2 years, just amazing. The movie is still a few years out and the census on this book has exploded this year (50% increase in the number of graded copies over the last 12 months), reflective of the abundance of mainstream Marvel books published after 1963/1964. I wouldn't be surprised to see the census on this book double over the next 12 months.

It's already selling for more than DD 1 and Strange Tales 110, and almost what Avenger #1's are selling for. This is about the last book I would buy right now if you're looking for price appreciation over a 10-15 year timeframe.

Same with FF 45 mentioned earlier. Hot book in the short-term for sure, but it's already selling for more than FF 48 and has increased an astounding 8 - 10X over the last 2 years, just amazing. The movie is still a few years out and the census on this book has exploded this year (50% increase in the number of graded copies over the last 12 months), reflective of the abundance of mainstream Marvel books published after 1963/1964. I wouldn't be surprised to see the census on this book double over the next 12 months.

+1.

Books whose sudden and meteoric rise in value is entirely based on a movie or movie announcement are probably the worst kind of long term comic book "investment" you can make.

-J.

[quote

Books whose sudden and meteoric rise in value is entirely based on a movie or movie announcement are probably the worst kind of long term comic book "investment" you can make.

-J.

We'll have to agree to disagree, this does not feel like IH 361 to me, it already has pre-hero goodness going for it.

Like it or not, Groot went from a "D" character to a "B" and I don't see that changing.

I could be wrong of course.

Anyone need an X-Factor 1 cheap? I have plenty.

[quote

-J.

We'll have to agree to disagree, this does not feel like IH 361 to me, it already has pre-hero goodness going for it.

Like it or not, Groot went from a "D" character to a "B" and I don't see that changing.

I could be wrong of course.

Anyone need an X-Factor 1 cheap? I have plenty.

Some would call the likes of Daredevil and the Punisher, "B listers". Some would call Moon Knight, Ghost Rider and Blade "C listers".

One hit ensemble movie later, I still would not put Groot on either one of those "lists". Groot, at best, went from obscure/irrelevant, to people now know who Groot is. Give him a hit solo title, or a starring solo movie, maybe the conversation changes. But I think we both know that will never happen.

I know TTA 13 had/has some pre-hero Marvel completist fans. And I know you have one in your sig line. But I don't see it as a long term play as an "investment". It is, more likely than not, actually over-bought at this point.

And this is coming from someone who has bought more than his fair share of movie hyped books at the worst possible time in his day. I'm looking at you X Men 4. lol

-J.

Anyone suggesting against investing due to movie hype is hitting the nail on the head. FF 45 is a great book, but it has always been a great book. Currently, FF 45 is a "wait until later" purchase for me. And is Marvel REALLY going to be able to sell the Inhumans to the masses the way that they did Guardians? I'm sure plenty will disagree, but I wouldn't bet on it.