• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Canadian Comic Cons--which ones? Opinions needed!

26 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I'm looking for a little help here.

I'm trying to grow my business this year and I'd love to hear opinions from patrons (and vendors if they'd like to share some info), on any of the major Comic Cons in Canada. I'm talking 1000+ people shows if possible, I know there are a ton of shows where I live (I'm in the GTA), but I've done toy shows for years, I'd really like to take a step up.

I've done Fan Expo (the big one in Aug/Sept), with good success but how is the March show?

I've also had a lot of input for the Niagara Falls Con, so I just sent out my cheque. But how about Ottawa? Winnipeg? Montreal? Just how good are the Alberta shows, or are any in the Maritimes worth trying?

Basically my set-up will consist of 4-6 mag boxes of slabs, 4-6 mag boxes of mylar silver/keys/high grade, and 6-8 long boxes of half-off material with lots of mid-grade silver, lots of Copper/Modern ASM and Batman, decent run books, etc.

I know I'm asking a lot, sometimes people don't want to give up info but I'd appreciate any tidbits of info, even a small amount.

Thanks for reading guys,

Jay

Attendance at the Winnipeg Con - Central Canada Comic Con (C4) - is usually pretty good. However, I have never set up there so I can't comment on how well sales are.

Nonetheless, it may be worth looking into. Good luck!

Skip the Vancouver Fan Expo in early April/Easter, 2015. Get on the waiting list for Calgary expo which stands at over 100 vendors now so may be able to squeeze u in by April, 2017 unless u have some hi-powered contacts on this forum that can get u in by April, 2016. :pullhair:

Hey guys, awesome, thanks for the advice so far.

So Jimmy, you're saying those shows draw, but it's all about toys/anime/pop stuff? You've actually set up? Is the attendance good?

I've heard good things about the Calgary show. I actually looked that show up a month or so ago and saw that it was sold out.

I'd really like to hear more about Winnipeg and Ottawa, if there are boardies who've been to these shows. Winny is a long drive, but I'm originally from Thunder Bay so I could take the family on vacaction, drop them off, drive another 7 hours and I'm there.

Again, I appreciate all the responses, even the smallest tidbit will help me.

Thanks again,

Jay

Montreal and Ottawa are the shows I hear the most negative dealer reviews.

I enjoy going to the shows, I usually work at a booth but, at the recent toronto one day show one dealer said "right now there are more people in this room than there was at Montreal all weekend" - so I don't think those are good shows to set up at. Booths are also very expensive for those shows...

Hey Flatliner, thank you, that's what I hear (about Calgary). I guess I have got to look into getting on that waiting list.

So far I have booked Niagara Falls, and I am also going to try the TCBS show just past the airport in Toronto. My thought is to add one or 2 shows per year, as long as I am still able to buy collections that is.

Again, thanks for all the replies so far guys!

Jay

Fan Expo has the most audience draw. I think the dealers are spoiled there. I think it's probably more expensive to set up as well.

Ottawa (in May) is the 2nd biggest con in Canada, or so I've been told. I bought some of my best comics at this one.

Montreal has a big draw too, but the dealers that show up on a given year are hit and miss.

The cost in Toronto for the booth is about the same, although I believe right now there is a waiting list, gotta look into that.

Ottawa and Montreal are something to think about, but I have heard similar things that Jimmy has said here from other dealer friends. I think I need another year of reviews to commit.

Thanks again though guys, keep em coming!

Jay

I've been doing them for years Flatliner, set up at my first flea market at 16 in 1989.

Since I've lived here in the GTA (2001), I've done more than 100 shows, but mainly toy shows. The post was more to see if these big shows are really worth it (where getting a table is $500+ but there are thousands of people). The small shows end up really being the same, with the same people, you know whether or not they're going to buy before they even start looking because you've dealt with them before. There is certainly a different dynamic to a small show where a collector can get in for $5 or less, compared to a show where it costs $20+ just to get in the doors.

I realize I'm nobody, and people don't want to give up any secrets and that I'm asking a lot. I just though people might want to share a few experiences, good or bad, and some have and I really appreciate it.

I will certainly share my experiences at the Niagara Con, and hopefully Fan Expo, when they are over, for all that will listen.

Thanks again though guys,

Jay

I've been doing them for years Flatliner, set up at my first flea market at 16 in 1989.

Since I've lived here in the GTA (2001), I've done more than 100 shows, but mainly toy shows. The post was more to see if these big shows are really worth it (where getting a table is $500+ but there are thousands of people). The small shows end up really being the same, with the same people, you know whether or not they're going to buy before they even start looking because you've dealt with them before. There is certainly a different dynamic to a small show where a collector can get in for $5 or less, compared to a show where it costs $20+ just to get in the doors.

I realize I'm nobody, and people don't want to give up any secrets and that I'm asking a lot. I just though people might want to share a few experiences, good or bad, and some have and I really appreciate it.

I will certainly share my experiences at the Niagara Con, and hopefully Fan Expo, when they are over, for all that will listen.

Jay

I thought you called us tough guys. Started scrolling back up to see where you became upset.

Oh no, certainly not intended, I did say though (lol), not tough.

I appreciate everyone's feedback, Flatliner I really do appreciate the input. I should have been more forthright from the beginning, basically I want to start with the big Cons, which ones are not worth it (should have been my title).

Small Cons are great, but here especially, you see the same faces over and over again. There are no secrets I know, just wanted to hear some experiences. I know Gator for example, will give show break-downs of some of the big U.S cons, and even searching back (though I don't want to go too far back), it's hard to find anything regarding the Canadian shows.

Jay

I can tell you that slabs sell poorly in Vancouver for whatever reason.

Maybe because we have a very high speculator population that want to buy the books raw at a cut rate price and slab them themselves. I'd avoid the Fan Expo here.

If you can get in to any of the Calgary shows, you'll do well I think.

Besides Fan Expo there is also the Red & White show there that I've heard good things about

Jay

I thought you called us tough guys. Started scrolling back up to see where you became upset.

lol You got a problem with that tough guy lol

Jay, if you do decide to do a Winnipeg show, please feel free to send me a PM. Always nice to meet up with other Board members if possible.