• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,103 posts in this topic

Eternals is one of my few, brief excursions into speculative comic book buying in the 70s.  One of about 3 titles in which I bought multiple copies of issues as they came out.  Would never have picked this title for a movie.  Blind luck on my part, but glad to see it surging.

Eternals - 1.jpg

Eternals - 2.jpg

Eternals - 3.jpg

Edited by MattTheDuck

On 8/19/2021 at 1:11 PM, Callaway29 said:

I wasn’t thinking and just realized I posted this in the wrong thread, my bad. At least it might get the intended topic back on track…

It’s all good. Now that the “modern age” is 30 years old or so the distinction between silver and bronze seems trivial. 

On 8/20/2021 at 2:59 PM, zosocane said:

My collecting range is NGs (e.g., coverless, page) to 9.8s.  I avoid 9.9s.  :cloud9:

I bought one 9.9 because I thought it would be cool to have one in my collection.  I purposely made sure it was a one-shot so that it wouldn't stick out as an outlier in a run.  Didn't cost me much.

1011715706_MarvelComics1000CGC9.9.thumb.jpg.9c14f64a354d32bb4956ec98edd607f5.jpg

On 8/20/2021 at 5:38 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I bought one 9.9 because I thought it would be cool to have one in my collection.  I purposely made sure it was a one-shot so that it wouldn't stick out as an outlier in a run.  Didn't cost me much.

1011715706_MarvelComics1000CGC9.9.thumb.jpg.9c14f64a354d32bb4956ec98edd607f5.jpg

They should have Reed Richards where that character on the left is behind panther.

On 8/20/2021 at 7:14 PM, MGsimba77 said:

They should have Reed Richards where that character on the left is behind panther.

I was just thinking as I looked over the cover again -- celebrating Marvel without the FF is insane.  I think the comic being held open at the bottom features the Human Torch, but I can't tell if that's the original or Johnny Storm.

And so, it begins! How much will it shatter the 2011 $1.1M sale by? It's already +48% ($1.625M) based on the bid price alone, +77% ($1.95M) with the buyers fee – with 16 days still left! Someone please chime in on any intel for sales not recorded on GPA, if there have been any.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/superhero/amazing-fantasy-15-marvel-1962-cgc-nm-96-off-white-pages/a/7246-93001.s?type=lotlink--bidnotice-tracked-dailystatus

Screen Shot 2021-08-23 at 10.39.52 AM.png

Edited by Frank.Einstein

On 8/23/2021 at 1:39 PM, Frank.Einstein said:

And so, it begins! How much will it shatter the 2011 $1.1M sale by? It's already +48% ($1.625M) based on the bid price alone, +77% ($1.95M) with the buyers fee – with 16 days still left! Someone please chime in on any intel for sales not recorded on GPA, if there have been any.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/superhero/amazing-fantasy-15-marvel-1962-cgc-nm-96-off-white-pages/a/7246-93001.s?type=lotlink--bidnotice-tracked-dailystatus

Does the BP count when people say what the comic sold for? Or do they strict to the nominal bid amount?

Obviously, any 9.6 AF 15 is a thing to see but I can't help but feel this book was pressed and the interior pages taper out as you move up the right side of the book. It is too bad that grading and pressing do that to a book of this caliber. I get it, but it also makes me sad.

On 8/17/2021 at 11:16 AM, LowGradeBronze said:

It's great that CGC and others are there to preserve archive grade examples of comics (of all kinds) for the future. But I'm glad I started collecting in the playground where we swapped and loaned our comics with each other. The real pleasure of Strange Tales 180 is in Jim Starlin's amazing artwork. It's not in seeing the covers behind glass. It's in handling an original newsprint copy not some slick papered, recoloured reprint in a Milestone Edition. I feel a little sorry for collectors coming into the hobby now if their primary experience of comics is in a slab. Slabs have their place, but I want newsprint pushed up under my nose. I want to smell 1972 as well as touch and see it up close. (I will buy a second copy if I can so my best copy can stay in shape.) 

sniff sniff

ahhh ambrosia :) 

On 8/23/2021 at 1:52 PM, PeterPark said:

Does the BP count when people say what the comic sold for? Or do they strict to the nominal bid amount?

Obviously, any 9.6 AF 15 is a thing to see but I can't help but feel this book was pressed and the interior pages taper out as you move up the right side of the book. It is too bad that grading and pressing do that to a book of this caliber. I get it, but it also makes me sad.

Yes they incorporate BP into GPA. Not tax or shipping however. The tax bill would be quite significant for this as well as it is Heritage.

On 8/23/2021 at 11:22 AM, bb8 said:

Yes they incorporate BP into GPA. Not tax or shipping however. The tax bill would be quite significant for this as well as it is Heritage.

as was mentioned in another thread, perhaps in the GA section, on the big stuff it's not a given that most are paying sales tax since all dealers and probably quite a few buyers will have resale permits, enabling them to forego sales tax. i had one for decades before i moved to a state with no sales tax.

On 8/23/2021 at 1:39 PM, Frank.Einstein said:

Screen Shot 2021-08-23 at 10.39.52 AM.png

I could tell you how much it will sell for if I knew what the Titans of the comic book market industry feel the value is of the free advertising the sale will bring?  hm 

On 8/24/2021 at 8:03 PM, Bluemedgroup said:

With the release of the teaser trailer, I’m surprised ASM annual 1 isn’t blowing up yet,  

why?

people have been spec'ing on SS for a long time

the trailer did nothing to solidify that or give new info to non collectors

Doc Ock was the only SS member from that book shown, Green Goblin wasn't a SS member and the trailer only hinted at him