• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,103 posts in this topic

On 8/28/2021 at 1:27 PM, bpc3qh said:

I'm wondering if Strange Tales 110 will spike sooner than expected, based on the Spider-Man trailer? Seems like Strange will play a prominent role, which may cause a jump even before Multiverse comes out.

Strange 169 is gonna take a big jump IMO.  best strange cover period.  (too bad that wasnt used for st110) 

On 8/28/2021 at 7:27 PM, bpc3qh said:

I'm wondering if Strange Tales 110 will spike sooner than expected, based on the Spider-Man trailer? Seems like Strange will play a prominent role, which may cause a jump even before Multiverse comes out.

Hasnt it already spiked?

The Multiverse premiered in the last episode of Loki...and he is in it somewhere...

Not to mention that the What If show is also entirely set there...

Edited by PeterPark

Good time to buy.  We are about to see a lot of Strange soon. 

On 8/28/2021 at 11:02 PM, jcjames said:

I agree. That is one of the best SA covers featuring the Doctor, IMO.

And the interior art ? :cloud9: ... once you feast your eyes on that 20 page Dan Adkins masterpiece, Kirby Ditko, and Adams loose a little of the luster. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 8/28/2021 at 4:38 PM, bpc3qh said:

Somewhat, but relatively few recent sales. Seems to have plateaued a bit.

I think anyone with a copy they are willing to sell is holding for now.  There will be more action when we actually start seeing photos and trailers for the Strange 2 movie, I'm sure.  Though, the Spidey trailer I think stirred things up a little.  Have a decent 7.5 tucked back and a very nice 9.8 of Doctor Strange #1.  Those are my personal collection tho, so doubtful I'll move them even when the prices spike again.  Also, I think longer term this ST110 will still have good growth because I see the character continuing to be a connective piece in MCU movies going forward.  Maybe not as popular as Iron Man as a character, but I am betting he shows up in other titles nearly as much before his run is done.

On a different item not discussed recently, what are peoples thoughts on Cap 117 at this point now that Anthony Mackie has locked into a contract for the 4th Captain America movie.  I personally like this story direction but not sure the wider, non-comic based audience will be behind it as much.

On 8/30/2021 at 5:26 AM, mcduckz said:

On a different item not discussed recently, what are peoples thoughts on Cap 117 at this point now that Anthony Mackie has locked into a contract for the 4th Captain America movie.  I personally like this story direction but not sure the wider, non-comic based audience will be behind it as much.

We were just discussing something similar to this last night.  Marvel has a similar but more difficult task starting here than it did when "Iron Man" was released.  They have what was a winning formula with the Infinity Stones storyline, and we're going to be introduced to "new" characters (like Shang-Chi and Falcon-as-Cap) to set the stage for the grand finale in 20 movies or so.  The question for them is whether the storyline they've picked will be as compelling, and whether a group of what can be argued are mostly secondary characters will be as compelling telling it.

My personal view is that a Falcon-as-Cap movie will be great and a commercial success.  While a little too preachy, the F&WS series was well done and a great transitional piece.  Disney+ gives them a way to make those things happen where people can see them rather than just having someone say "hey, this happened" in a movie.  This gives them an advantage they didn't have in the "Infinity Stones" storyline.

The success of the MCU and the addition of DIS+ is a huge tailwind.

On 8/30/2021 at 11:16 AM, MattTheDuck said:

We were just discussing something similar to this last night.  Marvel has a similar but more difficult task starting here than it did when "Iron Man" was released.  They have what was a winning formula with the Infinity Stones storyline, and we're going to be introduced to "new" characters (like Shang-Chi and Falcon-as-Cap) to set the stage for the grand finale in 20 movies or so.  The question for them is whether the storyline they've picked will be as compelling, and whether a group of what can be argued are mostly secondary characters will be as compelling telling it.

My personal view is that a Falcon-as-Cap movie will be great and a commercial success.  While a little too preachy, the F&WS series was well done and a great transitional piece.  Disney+ gives them a way to make those things happen where people can see them rather than just having someone say "hey, this happened" in a movie.  This gives them an advantage they didn't have in the "Infinity Stones" storyline.

The success of the MCU and the addition of DIS+ is a huge tailwind.

Totally agree with you.  One argument is the Disney+ shows kind of wind up where they started essentially not really changing the movie narrative.  For example, Sam started with the Cap mantle and ended with it.  I don't mind that approach though.  I like F&WS because it really delved into the characters more than you can in a movie (especially when they were not the main characters before).  It will be interesting to see where they go.  Feige has said there would not be another Avengers build up story but I find that hard to believe.  My bet is we'll see something along the lines of Avengers vs. X-Men before this phase is over (similar to Civil War), then some bigger foe they must unite to defeat.