• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,103 posts in this topic

On 9/12/2021 at 9:12 AM, gadzukes said:

tons of SA books yesterday ended out of the norm lately, even for CL and CC. how much if this before we start questioning the validity of heritage auction results?

On 9/12/2021 at 10:34 AM, gadzukes said:

Did anyone take note of Daredevil 7 9.0 in the Heritage auction yesterday???  It went for $8400!!!! :whatthe:

The last one sold for $2250 11 months ago.

An 8.5 went for $1650 a week ago.  Whoever bought that 8.5 must feel pretty good right now.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/superhero/daredevil-7-marvel-1965-cgc-vf-nm-90-white-pages/a/7246-96585.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyTrackedLots-101116

Maybe the DD rumors for the new spider flick ??

On 9/12/2021 at 1:43 PM, Chicago Boy said:

Maybe the DD rumors for the new spider flick ??

Lol the people who think it is the White Shirt Lawyer Guy are going to be pretty sad.  Someone posted a video of the new trailer when it was in Imax, and with the increased ratio you can see the guy's face and it is not Charlie Cox.  But who knows he could still be in it I guess

On 9/12/2021 at 12:41 PM, alexgross.com said:

tons of SA books yesterday ended out of the norm lately, even for CL and CC. how much if this before we start questioning the validity of heritage auction results?

I thought we've been questioning the validity for a couple of years now?

On 9/12/2021 at 11:34 AM, gadzukes said:

Did anyone take note of Daredevil 7 9.0 in the Heritage auction yesterday???  It went for $8400!!!! :whatthe:

The last one sold for $2250 11 months ago.

An 8.5 went for $1650 a week ago.  Whoever bought that 8.5 must feel pretty good right now.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/superhero/daredevil-7-marvel-1965-cgc-vf-nm-90-white-pages/a/7246-96585.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyTrackedLots-101116

I can't believe this purchase is real.  I'd be happy if it is, but it can't be.

On 9/12/2021 at 11:47 PM, gadzukes said:

Is this Schill bidding?  Trying to inflate the market on this comic?  

Don't get me wrong, it's a great comic, but that price?

I saw the 8.5 close and I was surprised that it didn't close for a little more....  But a 9.0 for over 5 times that price?  I just don't see how multiple people bid that book that high.

On 9/12/2021 at 11:41 PM, innocuous said:
On 9/12/2021 at 3:41 PM, alexgross.com said:

I thought we've been questioning the validity for a couple of years now?

It would have to be shilling on a massive scale. I get some healthy skepticism but this would be difficult to pull off successfully on so many books. Almost everything went through the roof. And it's not like the Clink stuff hasn't been on the high side lately. 

Just anecdotally, three auctions I was tracking last night on Ebay went for near all time highs well above GPA 90 day. One was an FF49 

Edited by MGsimba77

On 9/13/2021 at 10:01 AM, MGsimba77 said:

It would have to be shilling on a massive scale. I get some healthy skepticism but this would be difficult to pull off successfully on so many books. Almost everything went through the roof. And it's not like the Clink stuff hasn't been on the high side lately. 

Just anecdotally, three auctions I was tracking last night on Ebay went for near all time highs well above GPA 90 day. One was an FF49 

i agree that it would be a massive scale manipulation. but seeing books sell on other major platforms like comiclink especially, who have auctions twice monthly, for notably lower than HA, though still high prices, does seem to suggest something might be afoul. combined with the many assertions of HA shilling their own stuff and halperin both bidding on his own books and buying books in his own auctions, this does suggest that it might be possible they are playing games on a massive scale. 

all i know is that i am eager to see results of the upcoming CL auction, in comparison with this last HA. something tells me they'll be lower priced, though still very pricey. the market for keys has not cooled in many cases. 

I have yet to participate in an HA auction, but have on CL.  I find it pretty hit-and-miss with regard to prices paid.  As I noted in another thread, I feel like there could be some shenanigans with regard to CL putting in a bid to force me to pay more than my current bid but not my highest bid, but that did not happen in the most recent auction win.

On 9/13/2021 at 3:33 PM, alexgross.com said:

i agree that it would be a massive scale manipulation. but seeing books sell on other major platforms like comiclink especially, who have auctions twice monthly, for notably lower than HA, though still high prices, does seem to suggest something might be afoul. combined with the many assertions of HA shilling their own stuff and halperin both bidding on his own books and buying books in his own auctions, this does suggest that it might be possible they are playing games on a massive scale. 

The questions are valid but I guess I'm just weary of jumping on to the conspiracy bandwagon. Its always easy to throw out wild accusations and assume nefarious behavior without solid evidence. No it's not healthy to have this manipulation going on of course not! Its also not healthy for a large swath of collectors to presume a huge conspiracy every time HA has great results. The questions should be there but kept in context 2c

On 9/13/2021 at 5:12 PM, PKJ said:

Of all the houses CL for me has been clean, that is due to the hard close/end times. I have won several books with reasonable bids placed days prior as well as those I jumped in late. This year has been more on the high side then in previous years but I have won several books this year with decent room left before it reached my high bid. I have won with "tracking" bids on some random SA books this year still.

With HA and CC the bidding continues until someone folds, I have never won a HA auction with an early bid so I just wait now until the final and even still you feel like someone is pushing it to the limit. Bidding on some books this week, I noticed a couple patterns. Until a point you could tell there was 3-4 bidders. I was jumping in when it got to the final call, then I would be outbid by one bid over and over, Out of 16 books, 12 were won one bid higher than mine. The only book I won I got in late and held on.

I don't have any real complaints with CL.  The one that seemed hinky to me was a book where my bid was $350, my max bid was $500.  Somehow, a $400 bid was allowed after my $350 bid (even though you could argue it was not actually the "highest bid") so I had to pay $450.  It seems to me that in order to make a bid, you ought to have to make a bid higher than the current max bid.  The way this happened wasn't "unfair," but it does provide an incentive for shill bids that drive up the cost for whoever has the max high bid.

On 9/13/2021 at 8:31 PM, MattTheDuck said:

I don't have any real complaints with CL.  The one that seemed hinky to me was a book where my bid was $350, my max bid was $500.  Somehow, a $400 bid was allowed after my $350 bid (even though you could argue it was not actually the "highest bid") so I had to pay $450.  It seems to me that in order to make a bid, you ought to have to make a bid higher than the current max bid.  The way this happened wasn't "unfair," but it does provide an incentive for shill bids that drive up the cost for whoever has the max high bid.

Hey Matt -- what you're describing is exactly how all the auction houses work, including not only ComicLink, ComicConnect and Heritage but also eBay.  In this scenario, the person bidding $400 has no idea your max bid is $500.  They just know they need to beat the "high bid" of $350, and their $400 bid is valid if it does so by whatever the minimum "increment" is (as bids get higher, the amount by which you need to exceed the high bid generally increases -- beating it by just $1 isn't good enough).