• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,103 posts in this topic

On 10/15/2021 at 10:06 PM, divad said:

A few shockers here - recent sales of lower grade books. :bigsmile:

•  
  •  
  •  

•  
  •  
  •  

Sellers with only 5 feedback.  Bad start for the newbie.

On 10/15/2021 at 8:59 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I will also say ... a coverless copy of a book whose cover is far and away the #1 reason to want it really shouldn't be expected to fetch much of anything.

Which is exactly what I thought . . . (shrug) but check out other sales and you'll see that it was a bargain. :bigsmile:

I was shocked by some of the hammer prices in tonight's Heritage auction.  I was only watching a handful, and I usually bid aggressively on the books I'm targeting, but couldn't justify trying to keep up with these:

• Avengers #93 CGC 9.6 WP -- $5,040
  • Avengers #94 CGC 9.6 WP -- $3,360
  • Captain America #111 CGC 9.6 WP -- $1,920

Those are all WAAAY above any sale I'm aware of for these books.  Has to be some kind of anomaly?

On 10/31/2021 at 9:29 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I was shocked by some of the hammer prices in tonight's Heritage auction.  I was only watching a handful, and I usually bid aggressively on the books I'm targeting, but couldn't justify trying to keep up with these:

Those are all WAAAY above any sale I'm aware of for these books.  Has to be some kind of anomaly?

Are people starting to speculate on the Kree/ Skrull War turning up in the MCU?

On 11/1/2021 at 3:29 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

#93 never comes up for a sale in grade, but that result is particularly strong.   

Ditto, on the MCU speculation theory (thumbsu

CA 111 is very difficult with high grade AND a white cover.... GPA has the last 9.4 going for $298, I'll take a dozen at that price.... very little GPA activity above 9.0. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 11/1/2021 at 11:13 AM, comicginger1789 said:

I get that there are a handful of romance books (and a few war related ones) that Lichtenstein ripped of panels for his artwork. I still don't see the reason people value them that highly....

There are over 50 romance and war comics that Lichtenstein swiped from. As previously pointed out, this is a prominent one as it features Drowning Girl, one of his most famous works that hangs at the Museum of Modern Art in NYC. Regardless of whether or not you think Lichtenstein is a hack, a connection to a famous Pop artist is significant and noteworthy to some collectors (myself included--full disclosure I collect these books).

On 11/1/2021 at 11:27 AM, 10centcomics said:

There are over 50 romance and war comics that Lichtenstein swiped from. As previously pointed out, this is a prominent one as it features Drowning Girl, one of his most famous works that hangs at the Museum of Modern Art in NYC. Regardless of whether or not you think Lichtenstein is a hack, a connection to a famous Pop artist is significant and noteworthy to some collectors (myself included--full disclosure I collect these books).

Fair enough...when did these books see a major increase in value? Or when was it known that he appears to have definitely lifted panels from the various comics? I am fascinated by the desire to collect these but I suppose it is really no different than myself wanting a certain artist or a certain motif on covers.

Also, it seems strange that certain copies of those romance books are difficult to find, no? 

On 11/1/2021 at 10:00 AM, szav said:

It's the number one Lichtenstein related comic, and they finally put in a citation for it in the OPG a few years ago.  The splash on page 1 is the source for his famous Drowning Girl painting...it's practically a straight lift.

There's enough people on the hunt for it that this copy sold for over 600$ despite it being a Canadian auction and the seller not even mentioning the Lichtenstein connection.  It's also pretty hard to find in VG or better.  There's even a few strong sales on GPA ... now go do your thing and find me a better than F/VF copy please!

image.thumb.png.b7f811a760ffa0aae89a63c1282761d8.png

Thanks. Learn something new every day with comics, even after decades. 

I'll be on the lookout. 

Edited by october

On 11/1/2021 at 2:20 PM, comicginger1789 said:

Fair enough...when did these books see a major increase in value? Or when was it known that he appears to have definitely lifted panels from the various comics? I am fascinated by the desire to collect these but I suppose it is really no different than myself wanting a certain artist or a certain motif on covers.

Also, it seems strange that certain copies of those romance books are difficult to find, no? 

Romance comics generally seem rarer and harder to find in mid to high grade. I think the prevailing assumption is they weren't carefully collected and stored compared to superhero comics. 

It wasn't a secret from the start that Lichtenstein lifted panels from comics--that was his entire gimmick. In terms of when folks tracked down and mapped his work to specific issue numbers, I'm not quite sure. Digging around on the boards, there is a thread from 2008 asking what comic Drowning Girl appears in.

As for the increase in value, I think I paid 1/3 of the final price of this recent eBay auction for a G/VG copy 2 years ago. Doesn't seem too unreasonable given the overall heat of the comics hobby right now. And since these books appear to be relatively scarce, all it takes is for two people to drive up the price. 

On 11/1/2021 at 8:51 PM, szav said:

Number 2 on the list value wise, for the publicly well known Lichtenstein books (which also has a citation in the OPG), I think would be Girls' Romances 105, which is a much better cover than Secret Hearts 83 I think.  People should be on the lookout for this one too.

GirlsRomances105cgc75.jpg

I sold my copy on the boards last year that I came across:)

On 11/1/2021 at 8:27 AM, 10centcomics said:

Is there a list of the Lichtenstein swipes anywhere? 

I have to admit, I used to be in the "hack" group, until I saw some of his pieces in person a few years ago.  I still have significant issues with how he swiped from others without crediting them... but I'm prepared to state that when you see his work up close, and can actually see the brush strokes, and appreciate the scale, it comes across completely differently than a picture in a book where all of that gets lost.