• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best of 2014....... it Begins---------The Votes are in!!!

243 posts in this topic

so how does one get an Irish Guards uniform? Or is that yours old one?

Sourced over a period of month's from eBay's Militaria (no, the British Army would never have gifted this to me!).

The mannequin was the last item I located and when dressed in the full uniform I left him upstairs in my bedroom. When my wife came home from work (unaware of what I'd been collecting) and went upstairs to change out of her works clothes she got the shock of her life (thinking we had an intruder) and let out an almighty scream!

Naturally, she didn't share my sense of humour and gave me a big slap. :(

I've got my 5 pieces picked out.

Not sure if it being an easier decision this year to pick my five pieces is a good thing or a bad thing. (shrug)

You're your own winner (in these types of competitions) as you're flagging-up to the collecting community pieces you've been most proud of acquiring

during the past year of collecting.

It's a bit of fun . . . not to be taken too seriously . . . and even if you don't garner the most votes, rest assured that your peers have taken note of your artistic choices!

I've got my 5 pieces picked out.

Not sure if it being an easier decision this year to pick my five pieces is a good thing or a bad thing. (shrug)

You're your own winner (in these types of competitions) as you're flagging-up to the collecting community pieces you've been most proud of acquiring

during the past year of collecting.

It's a bit of fun . . . not to be taken too seriously . . . and even if you don't garner the most votes, rest assured that your peers have taken note of your artistic choices!

I know. I only buy art I love. There is more than one artist on CAF that is only represented in my gallery. :cloud9:

Since I've posted in the "Best Of" (about 4 years now, I'm happy with the 7 or so votes I've gotten in all of that time. It won't change my collecting habits(though I would like a Liefeld commission one day).

I enjoy participating even though I know I could never win and am happy to get a vote or two. Last year I thought I had better pieces than ever and got fewer votes I think, but I still "won".

But the pieces that win deserve to win, even if they are things I didn't vote for. I cannot imagine the joy of owning something that would get top 3 votes: a Herriman; a lush Raymond, Wrightson, Schultz, or Frazetta ink piece; a BWS Conan cover or splash, a Kirby dps (as a novice Kirby lover I may go with something inked by Chic Stone, don't bother to tell me if Stone never inked a dps). The top vote getters are awe inspiring pieces and I am glad to have the annual event to see everything in one place at one time.

If only they were achived as well!

A big thanks to Bill Cox for hosting it again this year. Bill turned on the "Best of 2014" on early, so decided to start a day early. Comicartfans lets you post your entries under the Lowry. So that means everyone will only be able to have 5 entries each, then voting for all 6 categories (Published and unpublished) occurs at the same time.

Below is instructions on how to upload images and descriptions for the entries. We have set aside a week for people to upload their stuff and then voting will begin on the NOW! (Bill was able to turn it on early so why wait)

Best of 2014 Published and Unpublished (happens at the same time)

You will have up to 5 entries and they can be in any of the 7 categories:

Published Covers

Published Splashes, Pin-Ups

Published Interior Panel pages

Published Strip Art

Published/Unpublished Commissions

Unpublished Convention Sketches

Published/Unpublished Other

Posting Entries Begins: NOW!

Posting Ends: Jan 18 11:59PM (Sunday)

Best Published Acquisions of 2014.

This theme lists each participating member's best acquisition of 2014 that has appeared or is/was scheduled to appear or created to appear in a comic book or comic book related publication. This category includes all published material, unpublished covers, and similar items.

Best Unpublished Acquisions of 2014.

This theme lists each participating member's best acquisition of 2014 that has not appeared and is not scheduled to appear in a comic book or comic book related publication. This category includes all unpublished material (except unpublished covers and pages), drawings, prelims, Style Guides. sketches commissions ect.

We have added one new category "Published/Unpublished Commissions" and modified another "Published/Unpublished Other". There is a mistake in both titles (may get it fixed but Bill has been very busy with non-CAF work), it shows Unpublished but they will both include published (if someone’s commission is used in a sketchbook, comic book or other book) , Other will be the material that doesn’t fall into the other 6 categories.

I know there will be some confusion with the new changes so please email me with any questions. We will try this new way this year and I will solicit feedback after the voting on how it works and if we need any changes.

Procedure for adding entries:

1) Goto http://www.comicartfans.com/Login.asp

2) Select Login then Admin/Edit User Profile

3) Select the "Comicart-L Member" option (you will need this option turned on to upload entries to the Lowry)

2) Select Manage/Manage Galleries Preferences

3) Select Your Lowry and add pieces (if you have not used the Lowry before)

4) Click the 'View/Add Pieces' link and then click the 'Add New

Artwork' link.

5) Add a piece as you usually do to the caf but there is an additional field "Best of 2014"

6) Please include the artists names (both penciler and inker if it applies)

7) There are 6 categories to chose from:

Published Covers (Unpublished covers as well)

Published Splashes, Pin-Ups

Published Strip Art

Published/Unpublished Commissions (work artist drawn outside of conventions)

Unpublished Convention Sketches (artwork drawn at conventions)

Published/Unpublished Other (all Published/Unpublished material which doesn’t fall into the other 6 categories (drawings, prelims, Style Guides, Rock Poster art, illustrations. etc.))

8) Select Active

Posting Entries Begins: Now

Posting Ends: Jan 18th (Sunday)

Voting starts Monday January 19st (Monday)

Voting end January 25th (Sunday)

In everyone's CAF there is a yellow section in the lower left there is a "Art by Year" section. It breaks down when pieces are posted by year.

I will post instruction on where and how to go about voting for the Best of before voting day.

If there are any problems in uploading images please e-mail Bill (bill@cox-consulting.com) and any questions especially about the two category changes and what can be uploaded please direct to me.

Look forward to alot of great artwork. Let the art begin......

Mine are up, too.

Entries:

• Published Covers (Unpublished covers as well)
    Princess Ugg #4 by Ted Naifeh

Princess Ugg tells the story of a young barbarian princess sent to finishing school by her parents because they believe their ways need to change. There’s more than a little culture shock, interesting personalities, and wonderful story telling in the series. Highly recommended.
  • Published Splashes, Pin-Ups

Wonder Woman by H. G. Peter
    This tier was the last one in a story intended for Sensation Comics 83 and finally published in AWoDC
 #2. I love Peter’s bizarre approach to his WW stories. His art fascinates me. I have to say that this ranks in my top 2 or 3 acquisitions; my Swan Superman stays at number one, but it’s a battle between the Mayer S&S, Cardy Bat Lash and this to fill out the top four. If you’ll click the link, it will take you to the main page and you can read the full story in the Additional Images or download a PDF of it. Enjoy!
    JL8 124 - Half Full by Yale Stewart

Yale Stewart has a web comic called JL8 which features the heroes and villains of the DC Universe as 8 year olds. (Okay, Darkseid is the gym teacher and he’s not 8, but you get the drift). Yale has a real gift for capturing the characters personality in both words and body language. I own several pieces by him, but this may be my favorite. Click the line, take a minute to read the description, and a click the link in it to spend a few more to read the strip on Facebook. You will be glad you did. Seriously. Do it.
  • Published Strip Art
    Carol Day strips #397/398 by David Wright
    Yes, it’s two strips, but they are consecutive and tell a mini-story so I treat them as one and will frame them as one shortly. Carol Day is one of the best-drawn strips that I have ever seen - what David Wright accomplished with his inking is amazing. But the strip is more than that, his stories are interesting personal dramas, he has a good ear for dialog, and his people are fantastic – all shapes and forms of people. Ditto for his draping and use of shadows. It’s wonderful work. Most of the story lines are on Amazon as Kindle books and I recommend them all. The description of the piece contains a link to them.
  • Published/Unpublished Commissions (work artist drawn outside of conventions)
-

Unpublished Convention Sketches (artwork drawn at conventions)
    Cursed Pirate Girl by Jeremy Bastian
    If you haven’t read Cursed Pirate Girl by Jeremy, go do it now. The art, story, and dialog are delightful. If you haven’t clicked this link, do it. Jeremy’s skill with a pen is astounding and he really knows his characters. In this piece, we see the Cursed Pirate Girl (our protagonist) in a casual pose – kicking her leg out as she waits for the sitting to be over. Click the link and learn a little more including finding a link to the book.

Honorable Mentions:

• Published Covers (Unpublished covers as well)
  • Published Splashes, Pin-Ups

Echo (Julie) by Terry Moore
    After completing Strangers in Paradise, Terry decided to change genres and created Echo. True to form it features strong women characters, beautiful art, and an interesting story. All set in the SiP universe as is the current Rachel Rising horror book (also excellent). Anyway, he had this print OA with him at Amazing! Houston Comic Con and I took the plunge. Glad I did. I’ll actually be picking up the print from him at church on Sunday. Yep, we go to the same church, but different services. Small world.
  • Published Interior Panel pages

• 

Published Strip Art
  • Published/Unpublished Commissions (work artist drawn outside of conventions)
    Drs. Who by Thom Zahler
    Okay, I’m a fan and friend of Thom’s so I naturally like his work, but what really makes this special is that it was a gift from me to my Dr. Who loving daughter. I managed to get this signed by four Drs. and we are on the prowl for more.
    Fallen Angel by J. K. Woodward
    This amazing painting should be the cover of the Omnibus of the IDW run of Fallen Angel. It summarizes the entire mini-series. Peter David told JKW, “Wow!” I agree. Lots more to read about it in the Description.
    Superman by Swan (blue line pencil), Rubinstein (inks), Martin (colors)
    Best Superman image by the best Superman artist is now (blue line) inked and colored by two more bests. It was a gift to my daughter and like the Drs. Who not eligible for the contest by my own rules.
    AppleCon45 by Tony Fleecs
    I’m a sucker for group shots and this contains (theoretically) every pony ever so …
    Gigantor&Astro Boy vs. Big Guy&Rusty by Geof Darrow
    From the first time I heard of Big Guy and Rusty, I knew that Geof needed to draw them facing off against Gigantor and Astro Boy. So, I paid him to do it. Glad I did, but framing and hanging this beast is going to be a problem.
    Action Cat by Art Baltazar
    Besides doing some of the most fun comics in the business, e.g., Tiny Titans and Superman Family, Art owns a comic book shop in Skokie, IL. He and his partners decided that they need an all ages comic to sell at the store so they created Action Cat, Adventure Bug, and a host of others and published them in a comic book series that they funded through Kickstarter.
    One of the perks was a piece of OA (mine was a page from Franco, Art’s collaborator) from Issue #0 (digital only). Later, they added a painting by Art. I jumped on it. Now, I expected a watercolor on paper, but I got an acrylic on stretched canvas. It’s impressive and it makes me smile.
  • Unpublished Convention Sketches (artwork drawn at conventions)

• Published/Unpublished Other (all Published/Unpublished material which doesn’t fall into the other 6 categories (drawings, prelims, Style Guides, Rock Poster art, illustrations. etc.)
    JLA 29 in 3D by Todd Reis
    Todd is a polymath with skills in a wide range of fields. Currently, he’s working as a magician and part time 3D artist. In my case, my wonderful wife commissioned him to create a 3D shadowbox version of the cover of my very first comic book. It will knock your socks off. You really need to click this link. Seriously. Do it.

You can see my entries in The Lowry, but they were (1) Charles Vess Elric (published splashes, pinups); (2) Tony Harris Starman house ad (published splashes, pinups); (3) Barry Windsor-Smith daredevil 236 page (published interior pages); (4) Winsor McCay early 1930s editorial cartoon (published strips); and (5) Mike Mignola 1980s Ghost Rider and Daimon Hellstrom pinup (unpublished other). it was a good year, the best yet! Until this year hopefully! And may it be so for you all!

Updated my Lowry as well. Hard to choose!!! And there is some really cool stuff up there already...

1) Tec #27 spread by Sean Murphy,

2) Frankenstein Alive Alive spread by Bernie Wrightson,

3) my Longbow Hunters painted cover by Mike Grell,

4) the four interlocking covers from the 1988 DC Millennium event by Jerry Bingham, and

5) some elegant line work by Andy Price on MLP.