• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE HULK #181 CLUB
24 24

1,668 posts in this topic

On 3/29/2017 at 1:06 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

That's some sweet goodness :) Love when being a kid pays off lol 

I am really happy with how well they held up. I moved a lot over the years. Plus I had two kids to yell at, "Don't touch the Comics, they are not for Kids!". I was a crazy dad who had comics and won't let them read them. Lots of therapy needed now I'm sure.

On 29/3/2017 at 2:41 PM, Grib said:

I got back my 182, came in at a 9.4. Fantastic book. I'm very happy with the grade. Like the other books it was bought at a news stand/ Stationary store when I was a kid. I was bagging books before they made comic book bags, I used the larger penny saver bags that I got from a friend who delivered the PSer.

IMG_3075.jpg

IMG_3080.jpg

IMG_3079.jpg

Which one is the Real frist app.?

1 hour ago, Grib said:

I was crazy lucky that the books are still in such a great shape. 

Well I agree, did you ever read them? And over the years you must of been like: 1) didn't I have an old Wolverine comic? 2) or new what they were

either way CONGRATS, it was a good time to have them graded and protected.....:wishluck:

9 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Well I agree, did you ever read them? And over the years you must of been like: 1) didn't I have an old Wolverine comic? 2) or new what they were

either way CONGRATS, it was a good time to have them graded and protected.....:wishluck:

I did read them, I read most of my books. Why have them if you don't read them? 

On 4/7/2017 at 5:53 PM, story cover & art by... said:

For me also... I'm worried about the 181 it's been awhile since I've pulled her out feels like the case is bowing... if any1 can vouch for having it recased please let me know...

I would reslab it in the new case just because they are so much better and more sturdy. I have a Transformers 1 that appears to be bowing too. Might be a little while before I do another reholder submission though.

2 minutes ago, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

I would reslab it in the new case just because they are so much better and more sturdy. I have a Transformers 1 that appears to be bowing too. Might be a little while before I do another reholder submission though.

I know what bowing "is" but have never seen an example of it on a CGC case, what should I be looking for? and what causes: storage place?or just general weather? or time?

I notice the last gen cases are very thin compared to the new...and they open easier at the sides, meaning they are more flexible/bendable, is that the only case and perhaps first gen that would be susceptible?

5 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I know what bowing "is" but have never seen an example of it on a CGC case, what should I be looking for? and what causes: storage place?or just general weather? or time?

I notice the last gen cases are very thin compared to the new...and they open easier at the sides, meaning they are more flexible/bendable, is that the only case and perhaps first gen that would be susceptible?

On my Transformers 1 it is the last gen case that are thinner. I bought it already slabbed so unfortunately I can not vouch for what might have caused it. When it's on a flat surface the middle bows up a little. All my other cases from the last gen are flat and I store them vertically or at a slight angle on the display shelf.

27 minutes ago, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

On my Transformers 1 it is the last gen case that are thinner. I bought it already slabbed so unfortunately I can not vouch for what might have caused it. When it's on a flat surface the middle bows up a little. All my other cases from the last gen are flat and I store them vertically or at a slight angle on the display shelf.

Cool ;) so it's noticeable; as I don't think I've ever noticed it before, I should be fine.

I did buy a last gen case that seems to be able to shake the comic inside, if that makes sense, I know it's a thing but my understanding was that they "all" do it to some degree. This one is real noticeable and it's weird as I can't really "see" it shake, cause it moves too fast, but when I do I can hear thud thud thud. This is the first one that I've found that does this; I never knew it could be this bad lol If I send it in for a reholder, they just do a quick glance to check the grade? or do they automatically give it the same grade and stand by their product? I mean it's a Harley Quinn 1999 no # alex ross, but it's a 9.4 and I don't want the grade to suffer any more :) 

Sorry for the long text, but some more questions: You said that you put your comics on the shelf, I used to do that but as my office/comic room that my comics are in is mostly windows with blinds and blankets covering: does indirect sunlight "seriously" affect the comics on the shelf? I will/keep my comics long term were talking 10's of years, so a long time ago I put them in short box's and put them in the closet....I didn't really know if any level of sunlight was detrimental or not to have them on the shelf, that room is next to the neighbors house so sunlight is minimal, except for the front that has a window that's big enough for a sliding door (but it's a window instead) 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

I've probably asked those questions before lol oh well, I think that they're probably fine on a shelf, but those that say it's a risk put the fear of God in me a little bit haaha. I'll probably just keep them put up in the closet, no need to rethink the wheel etc.

I did want to say that the newnew case seems less likely to allow the comic to shake so hopefully less likely to bow, so reholders should fix'em for that I'm thankful

Didn't mean to ask a bunch of questions that each person would have to decide for themselves, in other words I don't think that there is a real answer to my question(s) concerning putting 'em on a shelf, that would be cool though and I've seen the pictures of some that do

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I've probably asked those questions before lol oh well, I think that they're probably fine on a shelf, but those that say it's a risk put the fear of God in me a little bit haaha. I'll probably just keep them put up in the closet, no need to rethink the wheel etc.

I did want to say that the newnew case seems less likely to allow the comic to shake so hopefully less likely to bow, so reholders should fix'em for that I'm thankful

Didn't mean to ask a bunch of questions that each person would have to decide for themselves, in other words I don't think that there is a real answer to my question(s) concerning putting 'em on a shelf, that would be cool though and I've seen the pictures of some that do

No problem. Glad to be of help. I don't have that much experience with comics that shake in the case excessively. I have sent a few books for reholders. Some were cracked pretty bad on the front and back and they reholdered with the same grade as there wasn't any damage to the book. From what I understand they do give the books books that come in for reholders a quick glance at least but generally don't regrade unless it looks damaged.

For my books on the shelf. I have about 60 up on a couple different walls. The main room I have them in I have blackout curtains in addition to the blinds to keep out even indirect sunlight. I usually just have a dim lamp on when I go in there as I've heard other light sources produce harmful UV rays. I rotate the books I have up every few months or so not the same ones are up too long. I keep most of my older books in the closet but display them every now and then. As my wonderful wife even said what's the point of having all these great books if they are just in a box all the time :luhv:

4 minutes ago, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

No problem. Glad to be of help. I don't have that much experience with comics that shake in the case excessively. I have sent a few books for reholders. Some were cracked pretty bad on the front and back and they reholdered with the same grade as there wasn't any damage to the book. From what I understand they do give the books books that come in for reholders a quick glance at least but generally don't regrade unless it looks damaged.

For my books on the shelf. I have about 60 up on a couple different walls. The main room I have them in I have blackout curtains in addition to the blinds to keep out even indirect sunlight. I usually just have a dim lamp on when I go in there as I've heard other light sources produce harmful UV rays. I rotate the books I have up every few months or so not the same ones are up too long. I keep most of my older books in the closet but display them every now and then. As my wonderful wife even said what's the point of having all these great books if they are just in a box all the time :luhv:

Thanks ;) sounds like a good situation all around. 

1 minute ago, Califelix said:

The dreaded purple label. Check with CCS...they can possibly remove the color touch for you. 

Yeah, when it says small amount of color touch, thats a good sign that they might be able to remove easily. I had a ASM 129 that looked great in pics but when I got it graded it came back purple. Someone had used a highlighter on a couple spine ticks. Its at CCS now and they are trying to remove it. They think they can do it and even possibly not affect the grade too much (it needs a pressing bad). Anyway, good luck!!

11 hours ago, kevhtx said:

Yeah, when it says small amount of color touch, thats a good sign that they might be able to remove easily. I had a ASM 129 that looked great in pics but when I got it graded it came back purple. Someone had used a highlighter on a couple spine ticks. Its at CCS now and they are trying to remove it. They think they can do it and even possibly not affect the grade too much (it needs a pressing bad). Anyway, good luck!!

I'm newish, what is CCS?