• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comprehensive List of DC Universe Logo UPC Variants
18 18

2,162 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:
1 hour ago, Cpt Kirk said:

Hats off to Revat for starting this topic.   This is one of the most enjoyable threads on collector's society.   And I really appreciate those who have posted photos of the hard-to-find DCU variants.

Revat. The original DCU gangsta!

:headbang:

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 2:58 PM, mysterio said:
On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 2:32 PM, Aweandlorder said:
On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 1:34 PM, Cpt Kirk said:

Hats off to Revat for starting this topic.   This is one of the most enjoyable threads on collector's society.   And I really appreciate those who have posted photos of the hard-to-find DCU variants.

Revat. The original DCU gangsta!

:headbang:

Thanks, and Happy New Year everyone.

But really, it was all a ploy to drive up interest so I could expose new ones and pick up some of the rare ones I needed, and also to drive up interest and sell off some of my extras.  You've all fallen for my trap.  But it has been fun. 

Here's to driving Cpt Kirk crazy with some new undiscovered DCU's in 2018!!!

:tink: 

On 12/26/2017 at 1:44 PM, revat said:

Thanks, and Happy New Year everyone.

But really, it was all a ploy to drive up interest so I could expose new ones and pick up some of the rare ones I needed, and also to drive up interest and sell off some of my extras.  You've all fallen for my trap.  But it has been fun. 

Here's to driving Cpt Kirk crazy with some new undiscovered DCU's in 2018!!!

:tink: 

Thanks Revat.  I would love it if some more un-discovered DCU's pop up in 2018.   Along that same line, I've been having some fun tracking down Mark Jeweler variants.   I've now found about 94% of all the ones that could possibly exist in the titles of Batman, TEC, Superman, Action and JLA.   I wrote a thread about this topic in case anyone is interested.   Finding them has about the same fun feeling as the DCU Easter egg hunt.

Notable in 2017 is the fact that DC stopped producing newsstand variants for stores like Barnes and Nobles.  I'm slightly bummed by it, but also happy to not be needing to go to Barnes and Noble every week!

Edited by Cpt Kirk

So I have been looking for these books for fun the past year. I can tell you from my experience very few of these books are easy to find no matter what other sites tell you. The only books I seem to find more then once so far are early GLs like 48-55 I found 2 or 3 of each and some issues of Superman I have found 2 or 3 copies of a few issues. All the rest so far only one or two copies. 

High grade is tough above NM- 9.2 in my opinion. Typical grade for me is a VF 8.0 and unless I think its harder to find I will pass onanything lower. (I might have passed on 12 copies of different books so even beaters are not easy to find.) 

The last two days I went to a huge flea market and 6 comic shops looking for these. I found 4 books. Now lucky for me 3 of them are harder to find high grade issues and nobody had them marked. Maybe some larger areas have a more of abundance of books than my area, but I look in quite a few places and these books aren't easy to find. My hats off to you guys that are find 6-12 issues in one place because its not happening in my area. Even online I rarely find more then 2 or 3 in a lot.

zFNMu1Mm.jpgde8LMdNm.jpgJD7gr0xm.jpg

Edited by fastballspecial

18 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

So I have been looking for these books for fun the past year. I can tell you from my experience very few of these books are easy to find no matter what other sites tell you. The only books I seem to find more then once so far are early GLs like 48-55 I found 2 or 3 of each and some issues of Superman I have found 2 or 3 copies of a few issues. All the rest so far only one or two copies. 

High grade is tough above NM- 9.2 in my opinion. Typical grade for me is a VF 8.0 and unless I think its harder to find I will pass onanything lower. (I might have passed on 12 copies of different books so even beaters are not easy to find.) 

The last two days I went to a huge flea market and 6 comic shops looking for these. I found 4 books. Now lucky for me 3 of them are harder to find high grade issues and nobody had them marked. Maybe some larger areas have a more of abundance of books than my area, but I look in quite a few places and these books aren't easy to find. My hats off to you guys that are find 6-12 issues in one place because its not happening in my area. Even online I rarely find more then 2 or 3 in a lot.

I've been contemplating whether to snatch a tec 675 platinum variant for awhile. There have been a few 9.8 on the bay for 60-80 bucks last year so i started following it but so far no cigar

21 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

I've been contemplating whether to snatch a tec 675 platinum variant for awhile. There have been a few 9.8 on the bay for 60-80 bucks last year so i started following it but so far no cigar

I’ve found a few Detective #675 platinum variants in the wild, and 1-2 of them were NMish. The silver color on the cover pops really nicely. 

18 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Nice work on the Adventures of Superman, that’s a tremendous find. The GL is pretty uncommon to in my experience. Great haul. 

31 minutes ago, mysterio said:

I’ve found a few Detective #675 platinum variants in the wild, and 1-2 of them were NMish. The silver color on the cover pops really nicely. 

Yes it does. Is that book the only DCU for a variant cover? I know that Supes wedding has both, but the platinum tec is the only one I can think of that was only made with DCU. Unless I'm wrong?

22 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

Yes it does. Is that book the only DCU for a variant cover? I know that Supes wedding has both, but the platinum tec is the only one I can think of that was only made with DCU. Unless I'm wrong?

Flash #100 has two variants, the non-deluxe was recently discovered by @LikeEmScanned. There are a couple of other Detectives and Batmans, but I’d have to check numbers. 

1 hour ago, mysterio said:

Flash #100 has two variants, the non-deluxe was recently discovered by @LikeEmScanned. There are a couple of other Detectives and Batmans, but I’d have to check numbers. 

I guess my point was that with Tec 675 platinum they only made DCU platinums. No newsstands or direct editions. How were those distributed? as part of a pack as well?

3 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

I guess my point was that with Tec 675 platinum they only made DCU platinums. No newsstands or direct editions. How were those distributed? as part of a pack as well?

Detective 675 also has a non-platinum DCU. If you mean that the platinum is only DCU, that’s true as far as I know. I can’t think of any other platinum DCs in that time frame. Batman #492 is too early. 

No idea on distribution, but if the platinum was a retailer award/incentive as platinums often were maybe it was just sent out. 

Edited by mysterio

11 minutes ago, mysterio said:

Detective 675 also has a non-platinum DCU. If you mean that the platinum is only DCU, that’s true as far as I know. I can’t think of any other platinum DCs in that time frame. Batman #492 is too early. 

No idea on distribution, but if the platinum was a retailer award/incentive as platinums often were maybe it was just sent out. 

That was exactly my point.. Essentially it doesnt matter if thats the only DCU with other unique variant attributes (as cool as that could be). But assuming that this was a retailer incentive as you suggested, wonder what the distribution was like. And wonder if it was greater or lower than the usual DCU pack distribution numbers

22 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

That was exactly my point.. Essentially it doesnt matter if thats the only DCU with other unique variant attributes (as cool as that could be). But assuming that this was a retailer incentive as you suggested, wonder what the distribution was like. And wonder if it was greater or lower than the usual DCU pack distribution numbers

We’ll have to ask @Cpt Kirk if he knows about the distribution of the platinum. 

YMMV, but my track record is that the platinum DCU has been slightly easier to find than the non-platinum DCU. That may be an anomaly based on luck, or it could reflect real distribution. No idea. 

22 hours ago, mysterio said:

We’ll have to ask @Cpt Kirk if he knows about the distribution of the platinum. 

YMMV, but my track record is that the platinum DCU has been slightly easier to find than the non-platinum DCU. That may be an anomaly based on luck, or it could reflect real distribution. No idea. 

I remember the TEC 675 quite well.   It was a retailer incentive and it had the DCU logo on the cover, which was kind of cool.   It was not poly bagged but had the cool looking hard cover.

I recall those days fondly.   It was about the time that DC started getting gimmicky with retailer incentives.   One of the first was the poly and platinum poly bagged Superman 75's.   Next was the poly bagged platinum Adv of Superman 500 (which set me back $25 at the time, which seemed outrageous to me but I had to have it).    Then came the deluxe versions of Adv of Superman 501, Action 687, Superman 78, Superman Man of Steel 22.    Next came Adv of Superman 505 (foil cover and polybagged issue with post card) and and Superman 82 (foil cover and poly bagged issue with poster).    At the same time, Batman 500 came out with a poly bagged version and a deluxe version.    As soon as the Batman 500's came out, I started to think "Dang, this getting expensive!"

Next DC created the Action 695 deluxe and soon after that the platinum retailer incentives of TEC 675 and Action 700 (which each cost me a whopping $5 at the time, which also seemed a little pricey).   The platinum versions of TEC 675 and Action 700 both had the DCU symbol on the cover.

The platinum TEC 675 and Action 700 seem unique in that they both came out with the DCU symbol on the cover at about the same time as the first printing.   The only other example I know like that was the Superman Wedding Album DC Universe variant, which according to my notes came out the same time as the white wedding cover (I vaguely recall some hesitation on my part about buying both versions at the shop, but I thought I should since it was an historic event).   As far as I know, all the other DC Universe variants seemed to only come out in the bricks, multi-packs, and two-packs

Edited by Cpt Kirk

3 hours ago, Cpt Kirk said:

I remember the TEC 675 quite well.   It was a retailer incentive and it had the DCU logo on the cover, which was kind of cool.   It was not poly bagged but had the cool looking hard cover.

I recall those days fondly.   It was about the time that DC started getting gimmicky with retailer incentives.   One of the first was the poly and platinum poly bagged Superman 75's.   Next was the poly bagged platinum Adv of Superman 500 (which set me back $25 at the time, which seemed outrageous to me but I had to have it).    Then came the deluxe versions of Adv of Superman 501, Action 687, Superman 78, Superman Man of Steel 22.    Next came Adv of Superman 505 (foil cover and polybagged issue with post card) and and Superman 82 (foil cover and poly bagged issue with poster).    At the same time, Batman 500 came out with a poly bagged version and a deluxe version.    As soon as the Batman 500's came out, I started to think "Dang, this getting expensive!"

Next DC created the Action 695 deluxe and soon after that the platinum retailer incentives of TEC 675 and Action 700 (which each cost me a whopping $5 at the time, which also seemed a little pricey).   The platinum versions of TEC 675 and Action 700 both had the DCU symbol on the cover.

The platinum TEC 675 and Action 700 seem unique in that they both came out with the DCU symbol on the cover at about the same time as the first printing.   The only other example I know like that was the Superman Wedding Album DC Universe variant, which according to my notes came out the same time as the white wedding cover (I vaguely recall some hesitation on my part about buying both versions at the shop, but I thought I should since it was an historic event).   As far as I know, all the other DC Universe variants seemed to only come out in the bricks, multi-packs, and two-packs (including Superman the Wedding Album DC Universe variant, which came in the wedding.

And there you have it folks! ??????