• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comprehensive List of DC Universe Logo UPC Variants
18 18

2,163 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, Cpt Kirk said:

Awesome job Warlord.  I hate to admit it, but I cringe a little bit when I see a large wall of newly found DCUs.   I think to myself... uh oh, has someone found one that I did not know existed?

By the way, here's a 2-pack with two hard-to-find DCUs.

pack TEC 682.JPG

pack batman 516.JPG

Very cool! Do you (or anyone, for that matter) happen to know if those two packs are always consistent in their contents?

34 minutes ago, mysterio said:

Very cool! Do you (or anyone, for that matter) happen to know if those two packs are always consistent in their contents?

We know for sure that the packs are not consistent in their contents.  Here's some examples:

SM 74 IV/JL 69 IV  ebay $28 Apr 2014

SM 74 IV/SM MOS 19 II  ebay $20 Dec 2016

Batman 493 II and Batman 497 II
Batman 494 and Detective 665
Batman 495 and Detective 662
Batman 495 and Detective 663
Batman 496 and Detective 659 III
Batman 497 II and Detective 664
Batman 498 and Detective 666
Batman 499 and Detective 661
Batman 503(DCU) and Detective 670(DCU)
Batman 504(DCU) and Detective 671(DCU)
Batman 506(DCU) and Batman Adventures 18(2nd)
Batman 515(DCU) and Detective 683(DCU)
Batman 516(DCU) and Detective 682(DCU)

SM 74 III/Adv SM 499 1st print     seen on ebay Aug 2014   $33

SM MOS 18 IV/JLA 69 III - seen on ebay Jan 2018 (2 packs)

Adv SM 497 II/SM MOS 15/ ?    Seen on ebay Sep 2014  $20

Action 684 II/SM MOS 21 1st print    seen on ebay Aug 2014 $35

Action 684 III DCU/JLA 70 IV -- seen on ebay $150 Nov 2017 ($65 Jan 2018)

The chance of finding some of these variants is fascinating to me.   About one year ago, none of the die-hard variant collectors on Collector's Society had an Action 706 DC Universe variant in their collection.   Now in the last year I've held three of them in my hands, and now there is a 4th one for sale on ebay.    Below is a photo of two of them that I currently have in hand (one of them is at least a 9.6).

action 706 dcu.jpeg

3 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Man of Steel #20 is selling for a nice chunk right now.

I've always thought the ones related to 'sets' would be the ones that have a chance to have value.  The Death/Return of Superman (obviously those reprints) and the Knightend/Fall/Quest stuff come to the top of the mind. 

5 hours ago, revat said:

I've always thought the ones related to 'sets' would be the ones that have a chance to have value.  The Death/Return of Superman (obviously those reprints) and the Knightend/Fall/Quest stuff come to the top of the mind. 

The Superman related books, especially Death/Funeral books are pretty tough and pricey. Personally I haven’t noticed the same patterns with the Batman event books. YMMV

1 hour ago, LikeEmScanned said:
4 hours ago, ygogolak said:

I bought a copy in better condition and then sold my old copy.  Hard to believe it was only a $17 spread between the two!

BTW, Kirk, that 7 comic Batman Collection is very cool.  Never seen that before!  And congrats on the dup #706!

For some things rarity trumps condition, at least to an extent. Any copy is going to sell for a particular price, and condition is more of the cherry on top of actually finding one.

4 hours ago, LikeEmScanned said:

I bought a copy in better condition and then sold my old copy.  Hard to believe it was only a $17 spread between the two!

BTW, Kirk, that 7 comic Batman Collection is very cool.  Never seen that before!  And congrats on the dup #706!

Thanks Mysterio.  I thought we had seen all the packs, and then this one pops up.   It makes me wonder what other things are out there.   I suspect there's quite a few other DCUs laying around in some guy's closet that are not on Revat's list.    If ten years go by and previously unknown DCU's keep popping up from time to time, then you know there's got to be more out there.    You would think at some point, though, when only a couple new ones are found every year, then we are getting close to having found almost all of them.

On 2/1/2018 at 5:03 PM, mysterio said:

The Superman related books, especially Death/Funeral books are pretty tough and pricey. Personally I haven’t noticed the same patterns with the Batman event books. YMMV

The ones that are tough to find are the DCU's that came out in two-packs with cover dates after Nov 1994; and that includes the Death of Superman DCUs (which I believe only came out in two-packs even though their cover dates were Dec 92 thru Jan 93).   The ones that came out in 20-pack bricks (cover dated Dec 93 thru Nov 94) and boxed sets (like Batman Knightfall and Superman Fiercest Foes) are pretty common. 

Edited by Cpt Kirk

9 minutes ago, Cpt Kirk said:

The ones that are tough to find are the DCU's that came out in two-packs with cover dates after Nov 1994; and that includes the Death of Superman DCUs (which I believe only came out in two-packs even though their cover dates were Dec 92 thru Jan 93).   The ones that came out in 20-pack bricks (cover dated Dec 93 thru Nov 94) and boxed sets (like Batman Knightfall and Superman Fiercest Foes) are pretty common. 

I may be wrong about this, but didn’t at least the MOS #18 come out in a boxed set of 5-6 books? I could swear I’ve seen sealed sets on eBay with asking prices of stupid money (like $800).

2 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

Mos 18 comes in a box of 20 along with AOS 498...

You are both right and I was wrong to say that SM MOS 18 V DCU variant only came in a 2-pack.  SM MOS 18 II (not the DC Universe variant) came with a 20-pack brick.    MOS 18 IV (not DCU) and MOS 18 V (DCU) came in a 2-pack.     Doomsday Collectors Pack contained Action 684 IV DCU, SM 74 IV DCU, SM MOS 18 V DCU, SM MOS 19 III DCU, 75 IV, Adv SM 497 II, JL 69 IV DCU.   

14 hours ago, Cpt Kirk said:

You are both right and I was wrong to say that SM MOS 18 V DCU variant only came in a 2-pack.  SM MOS 18 II (not the DC Universe variant) came with a 20-pack brick.    MOS 18 IV (not DCU) and MOS 18 V (DCU) came in a 2-pack.     Doomsday Collectors Pack contained Action 684 IV DCU, SM 74 IV DCU, SM MOS 18 V DCU, SM MOS 19 III DCU, 75 IV, Adv SM 497 II, JL 69 IV DCU.   

That Doomsday pack was the one I was thinking of. Very strong asking prices on the couple sealed ones I’ve seen.