• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your Comic Book collecting routine

22 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone!

I am new to the this Forum website but I have been part of others so I know the ropes. I wanted to start a new topic just about collecting in general.

How do you collect your comic books?

How do you collect? What's your routine and what kind of supplies do you use?

Everyone has their own ways of collecting and I know myself I search and search online before I started to collect to see what is best for my comics.

What is better Poly vs Mylar?

What size should I get?

What brand?

Comic Storage what is the best way?

How do you organize them inside the storage box?

All these and more come up when you start collecting comics for a hobby. I started this topic so you can give your thoughts of what you do for your collection so it can help other collectors and new collectors when starting their Comic Book Collection.

*You don't have to answer the questions. They are just examples. Feel free to talk about anything about your collection ideas.

I buy comics once every month or two to keep up long standing Marvel runs - I try to buy the issue numbered after the last issue but sometimes I buy the issue numbered after the issue after the last issue and then I need an issue next time I go back.

Sometimes the next highest issue never gets published, when that happens I look for the new number one issue, once I have acquired the new number one issue, see above.

I re-bag everything, mylars 725M2/silver boards for good stuff with new stuff going in poly bags. For new books most are in a magazine box/shelf display area or laying flat in a legal cabinet (smaller piles for rebooted series) - they all get poly-bagged, if I buy an old book for those sets they get mylared up. If I buy something for one of the dead sets in my closet (which rarely happens) those get put in polybags & inserted numerically into the long/short box never to be seen again.

Welcome to the boards.

JC_coffee.gif

My moderns come from my LCS on my regular Wednesday at 11:00 trip, and sometimes a Saturday trip when I am not so rushed. I also order some books my LCS does not carry (Crossed, for example) from Midtown every week. So, I have new comic books on Monday (previous weeks Midtown order), Wednesday (LCS), and Saturday (LCS). Seem about right!

Usually once per week I spend time in my comic book room bagging and boarding, and entering them into my inventory system. I currently have about 110 long boxes and 21 CGC boxes. Moderns go 2 per regular bag and board, and nicer books go into mylar, one per bag and board.

I also order on Ebay and here to get what I am looking for, and generally buy my graded books already graded, but I do submit to CGC about twice a year.

Good luck! Buy what you like, and read what you buy, or it will become too much work.

Welcome to the boards.

Right now I have newer comics in poly bags but anything pre-1980 goes in a Mylite2 with an acid free backing board. Awhile back I re-bagged from 1-mil to 2-mil Mylites so now I'll re-use those 1-mil Mylites for the 1980+ comics, but I haven't gotten around to that task yet. I store the comics in acid-free boxes, sorted by publisher and then alpha-numerically. I bought some shelves on wheels from a restaurant supply store and most of the boxes are stored on those, but some are in cabinets.

it used to be pretty simple-- make my paper route collections, ride my Schwinn 36x36 chrome BMX bike for a mile and a half to the 7-11, take a copy of every single Marvel that was being sold (sadly with not enough emphasis on the condition it was already in), grab a ton of candy bars and a Marvel super hero slurppy cup. Back on the bike and haul arse home. Sugar rush for days. Comic rush for a month.

of course-- that was the mid 1970s. I don't even think they have racks of comics at 7-11 anymore. Not for decades based on people stressing that something was "NEWSTAND" as if that was something special. Newstand and grocery store were all I knew back then. And later a LCS but that guy was outrageous on back issues.

For the last two years it's been hunt for Spider-woman books, raw, graded, other graded. Emailing leads, Harrasing people on the census.

Now I'm kind of......lost.

For the last two years it's been hunt for Spider-woman books, raw, graded, other graded. Emailing leads, Harrasing people on the census.

Now I'm kind of......lost.

:D
lol

I may be the only one that does this, but instead of using titles or a letter sequence on my long boxes, I just number them. Currently I'm at #12. So if I'm looking for a book beginning with the letter S I would look at box #10 and go from there.

There was also a time when I overstuffed my boxes which caused some books to slide downwards and they ended up in an L shape. I had some very high grade books get ruined that way. :cry:

I collect my comics through exciting heists and petty theft.

I start off by making my stakeout of the mark and well... the rest is a trade secret.

:jokealert:

uhh, yeah, that's it a joke. btw, in a totally unrelated matter, my "Aunt Martha" will be on "vacation" next week. See you at the drop sp...I mean coffee shop

I kill bums around my home,and collect their ears.I use them as Christmas gifts........Wha? .......Comics?

You're known to the media and the police as the Exterminator......

I look at it as a service that saves the city money. :devil: