• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MARVEL FILMS WORST MOVIE TO DATE? (not Sony/Fox)

107 posts in this topic

Someone mentioned GOTG being tough to rewatch

Tried to watch but was tough thought it was just me

I also have had time to rethink the ending

Maybe I'm too cynical but it was a bit weird for me. I'll reserve judgement to explain how they pulled that move off (as a team) but just seemed a bit corny compared to the rest of the film

Although not a fan of this movie, I would take 'Punisher War Zone' off the Marvel Studios list.

DIRECTOR LEXI ALEXANDER TALKS "PUNISHER: WAR ZONE"

------------------

Alexander reaffirmed the new film will be much darker, come with a "hard R" rating, and said producer Lions Gate Films has allowed her to use as much violence as she likes. "I like doing violent movies," Alexander said.

------------------

Lionsgate Films drove this one into the ground, and Marvel's involvement was characters and reference material. The shame is they did reference some really good material.

------------------

Set for a September, 2008 release, "Punisher: War Zone" promises to be a darker, more violent filmic version of Marvel Comics' Punisher than previously seen on the silver screen, and largely influenced by the acclaimed MAX series by Garth Ennis.

------------------

What a waste.

Best to Worst

1.6 Marvel's The Avengers (2012)

1.1 Iron Man (2008)

2.3 Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)

1.4 Thor (2011)

2.4 Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)

1.5 Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)

1.3 Iron Man 2 (2010)

2.2 Thor: The Dark World (2013)

2.1 Iron Man 3 (2013)

1.2 The Incredible Hulk (2008)

The Incredible Hulk is OK until you get to the final fight scene - which is an abomination.

My least favourite of the Marvel films listed, mainly because The Abomination wasn't the one I wanted to see ; the scaly, reptilian, demonic-looking comicbook version. It would've been much better than what ended up on screen.

The Incredible Hulk is OK until you get to the final fight scene - which is an abomination.

My least favourite of the Marvel films listed, mainly because The Abomination wasn't the one I wanted to see ; the scaly, reptilian, demonic-looking comicbook version. It would've been much better than what ended up on screen.

+1 (thumbs u

Although not a fan of this movie, I would take 'Punisher War Zone' off the Marvel Studios list.

DIRECTOR LEXI ALEXANDER TALKS "PUNISHER: WAR ZONE"

------------------

Alexander reaffirmed the new film will be much darker, come with a "hard R" rating, and said producer Lions Gate Films has allowed her to use as much violence as she likes. "I like doing violent movies," Alexander said.

------------------

Lionsgate Films drove this one into the ground, and Marvel's involvement was characters and reference material. The shame is they did reference some really good material.

------------------

Set for a September, 2008 release, "Punisher: War Zone" promises to be a darker, more violent filmic version of Marvel Comics' Punisher than previously seen on the silver screen, and largely influenced by the acclaimed MAX series by Garth Ennis.

------------------

What a waste.

The behind the scenes with Lexi (she kind of cute) showed she was trying to hard to be a thematic Kathryn Bigelow while only having material suitable for a high concept Mimi Leder action film (Peacemaker). She tried, she failed. I liked the tone though, but the acting and plot mechanics were "Raw Deal" Arnold Schwarzenegger instead of "Terminator" Schwarzenegger.

I guess I'm in the minority, but I thoroughly enjoyed The Incredible Hulk movie. While I also prefer the scaly comic version of Abomination, a reptilian creature wouldn't have made much sense in the context of the movie. Neither the gamma radiation nor the Super Soldier Serum have anything to do with reptiles. Having a reptilian Abomination would have bothered me. Plus, Abomination is still one of the most formidible villains we've seen in the movies to date. He's intelligent, has extensive military training, and has enough strength to beat Hulk senseless (something Thor was unsuccessful with). Iron Man struggled with much less intimidating foes (Iron Monger, Whiplash), and we saw a little of what a fight might have looked like between Hulk and Cap in the form of the battle between the Hulk and Blonsky on the serum earlier in the movie (spoilers: he fought admirably, but ultimately wound up near-death with dozens of broken bones).

I'd actually like to see an appearance from Abomination again. Remember, at Betty's request, the Hulk didn't kill him and Blonsky was taken into custody. He was even mentioned in the Agents of SHIELD show as being in a cell under constant watch. Let's say the Avengers go up against Ultron in the upcoming movie and they get thrashed and are forced to retreat. A desperate SHIELD may try to use Abomination, controlled via some sort of neutralizing device, to combat Ultron. Of course he'd lose, but it could be a cool scene that would demonstrate Ultron's power. You could even swap out Ultron for Thanos in the 3rd movie when Thanos eventually comes to earth. I hope we see him again as he seems like a genuine threat.

I'd personally put The Incredible Hulk on par with the Thor movies. I find them all equally enjoyable. The bottom of the list belongs to Iron Man 3 for me. The thing that annoyed me about the movie was that Tony was in a fully functional Iron Man suit for maybe 2 minutes of the whole movie. Either some of his systems are deactivated, he's operating the suit remotely, or he is only wearing part of the armor.

I just kept thinking that he went toe-to-toe with Thor and did very well with his Mark VI armor. THOR! And now with his new "upgraded" armor, he loses pieces with every hit. Even with his Mark 3, he took a shell from a tank while flying, fell to the ground, got up, and destroyed the tank with only some cosmetic damage. Fast forward to the 3rd movie and the armor falls to pieces when hit by a car. :facepalm:

Iron Man 3 featured very little of the movie Iron Man I've grown to love. If I've got the time, I'd rather watch Incredible Hulk.

It didn't bother me that Tony wasn't in the suit much in Iron Man 3 - I preferred the character development, even the scenes with the young kid, than just the usual clichéd fight scenes that everybody seems to want to see.

+ 1

Even the first movie, which I rewatched recently, is bearable until the big fight scene with Nick 'Absorbing Man' Nolte. Ang Lee's photography style of making it appear as if you are watching a live comic book play out is unique and kind of interesting as well.

Between Nolte's character and the Hulk Hounds, that's what really killed that movie.

'The Incredible Hulk' could have made up for this. I'm not sure how Ed Norton got worked into writing the -script for that movie.

Ed Norton writes, or rewrites, the -script for just about everything he does now, doesn't he? It was reportedly his -script issues that led to the recasting rather than anything else.

This is why film nerds and 'insiders' were laughing so much more in Birdman.

Someone mentioned GOTG being tough to rewatch

Tried to watch but was tough thought it was just me

I also have had time to rethink the ending

Maybe I'm too cynical but it was a bit weird for me. I'll reserve judgement to explain how they pulled that move off (as a team) but just seemed a bit corny compared to the rest of the film

I can see why people would have that view - but I don't mind it after repeat viewings. I watch a lot of Marvel films repeatedly while I work, and for me GotG is up there with Thor 1, Avengers and Captain America 1 and 2. I'm totally okay with the cornyness of it - but again - a personal preference.

But you bring a good point, repeat viewings let you think about the plot devices and GotG has some issues (personally, I dislike Thanos' appearances in it) that probably come up when you sit and study it.

I didn't like how the OP titled this thread, so I reworded it.

"WORST" is to negative, imho.

A lot of these movies have decent moments.

I thought Captain America was boring as a dog's azz and a bit too corny. Add on practically writing the Nazis out of history in favor of HYDRA. :eyeroll:

Gotta love those ray gun fights in the 40's. :facepalm:

Then there's The Incredible Hulk. The CG effects pretty much take you out of the film whenever used. Even the solid acting can't save this cartoon of a movie.

But, the most disappointing... :news:

Iron Man 2

:acclaim:

Bloated, noisy, pre-posterous, pompous, juvenile, etc.

Wasn't Tony Stark a better person at the end of the first one?

Yet, he's back to being an arrogant jerk.

Did he really waste screentime fighting Rhodey at a party in the Iron Man suit?

By the end, he finds himself to fight an easy to beat droid army (did George Lucas do a re-write?).

I went to this one with high expectations and in my opinion, this was Marvel's first miss.

Incredible Hulk is the one i rewatch the least, so I'm gonna go with that.

I'd be interested to know everyone's rewatch rates as various degrees of comic fans/movie buffs hm

I've rewatched each at least twice, except the newer ones. I think the only one I haven't actually seen twice is Thor 2.

I must be the only person that liked Thor 2. I didn't think the first one was very good, but I enjoyed the second one.

Iron Man 3 was ok. I didn't hate it. Never saw IM2 or the Norton Hulk movie.

I liked Punisher War Zone. Terrible acting and dialogue, but I still have to watch it everytime it's on. It's like an early 90's action flick. :cloud9:

Iron Man 2 was the weakest of that trilogy to me, but I could still enjoy those movies for what they are. I try not to take my comic movies too seriously.

In fact, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Hulk and X3 are the only comic movies I can't stand. There's nothing redeemable about them. :sumo:

I must be the only person that liked Thor 2. I didn't think the first one was very good, but I enjoyed the second one.

i agree the second one was much more enjoyable than the first one.

Yeah, I didn't think Thor 2 was bad at all. I thought IM3 was way better than IM2.