• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will I enjoy From Hell?

44 posts in this topic

Wasn't crazy about the Johnny Depp movie. Pretty much put me off from reading the graphic novel. Anyone know how far apart the book is from the film adaptation?

VERY far apart. Like most movies adapted from comics, they used the basic frame of Moore's story and changed, eliminated or ignored most of the details and texture that made it such a good read.

Definitely worth persevering. I put it down the first time I tried to read it around where you are now. I don't think I was in the right mood for it and it was not what I was expecting. Being a big fan of Moore's work, I gave it another shot a few months later. Boy was it worth it. You may find it dragging some during the architectural tour, but I remember being completely engrossed after that part, which occurs in the first quarter of the book or thereabouts.

Are you talking about the part where the Doctor takes the guy around the historic landmarks in London? I'm in the middle of that now and it is pulling me in.

Yeah, that's the part. I found it interesting, but a touch slow. I think if I'd ever been to London or had brushed up on those landmarks I would have liked it more. In fact, I think I would enjoy it more on a second read regardless because I think I would approach my reading of it differently. But, if this part is starting to pull you in, it's getting great from there.

I should check this out. It's one of those books that's been on "to read some day" list going back to when it was still being serialized.

As long as were on the topic of Victorian Whitechapel, does anyone here watch the show Ripper Street from the BBC? It sometimes gets a bit fanciful in it's storytelling, but I've found it thoroughly enjoyable.

Wasn't crazy about the Johnny Depp movie. Pretty much put me off from reading the graphic novel. Anyone know how far apart the book is from the film adaptation?

VERY far apart. Like most movies adapted from comics, they used the basic frame of Moore's story and changed, eliminated or ignored most of the details and texture that made it such a good read.

Well-said!

-slym

Definitely worth persevering. I put it down the first time I tried to read it around where you are now. I don't think I was in the right mood for it and it was not what I was expecting. Being a big fan of Moore's work, I gave it another shot a few months later. Boy was it worth it. You may find it dragging some during the architectural tour, but I remember being completely engrossed after that part, which occurs in the first quarter of the book or thereabouts.

Are you talking about the part where the Doctor takes the guy around the historic landmarks in London? I'm in the middle of that now and it is pulling me in.

Yeah, that's the part. I found it interesting, but a touch slow. I think if I'd ever been to London or had brushed up on those landmarks I would have liked it more. In fact, I think I would enjoy it more on a second read regardless because I think I would approach my reading of it differently. But, if this part is starting to pull you in, it's getting great from there.

It started to pull me in before that, but then really drug through that part. It was incredibly interesting, but not paced incredibly well. The art was really neat and I like the way certain scenes are stylized.

I could tell just sort of flipping through the book that the pacing was going to pick up.

I'm now reading about Jack the Ripper. It is curious that the case has garnered so much interest. From what I can tell, "Jack the Ripper" truly killed 5 women. It wasn't as extreme as I'd imagined. It is interesting how it captured peoples' attention and is still debated even today. I remember the headline a few months ago claiming they figured out the case.

From Hell is probably the best thing comic-book related I've ever read together with Sandman and maybe Lone Wolf and Cub.

But you need to read the the annotations for each chapter after you've read the particular chapter. It will greatly enhance your understanding.

Some people have called the art "ugly", while it can be considered "scratchy" it fits the contents of the book perfectly.

I've read it 5 or 6 times now over the years and it even got me interested in Nicholas Hawksmoore & Christopher Wren's building. I read a book (yes, REAL book !!!) about it and visited some of the places during my previous London trip.

The movie has almost nothing to do with the comics, while the comic has several levels, some you won't even catch (even with a butterfly net) on the first reading, the movie only has one.

It started to pull me in before that, but then really drug through that part. It was incredibly interesting, but not paced incredibly well. The art was really neat and I like the way certain scenes are stylized.

I could tell just sort of flipping through the book that the pacing was going to pick up.

I'm now reading about Jack the Ripper. It is curious that the case has garnered so much interest. From what I can tell, "Jack the Ripper" truly killed 5 women. It wasn't as extreme as I'd imagined. It is interesting how it captured peoples' attention and is still debated even today. I remember the headline a few months ago claiming they figured out the case.

Have you seen the photos?

I should check this out. It's one of those books that's been on "to read some day" list going back to when it was still being serialized.

As long as were on the topic of Victorian Whitechapel, does anyone here watch the show Ripper Street from the BBC? It sometimes gets a bit fanciful in it's storytelling, but I've found it thoroughly enjoyable.

I watch Ripper Street-- good series imo. I am a little behind though- have to watch season three still. Not much about Jack the Ripper -- just crime dramas from the same time setting, typically with a unique angle.

THIS ...

From Hell is probably the best thing comic-book related I've ever read together with Sandman and maybe Lone Wolf and Cub.

I thought From Hell was a bit disappointing - after I finished it, I sold my copy of the TPB on eBay (this was many years ago, back before TPBs became ubiquitous) as I didn't think I'd ever feel like re-reading it. As far as Alan Moore goes, V for Vendetta, Watchmen and Swamp Thing stand out above everything else for me. And, as far as historical conspiracy fiction in the comics medium goes, I enjoyed Arvid Nelson's "Rex Mundi" (which takes place in an alternate reality of Europe, but is based on historical/Biblical precedents) much more than "From Hell".

I consider myself to be a bit of a Ripperologist, having read numerous books on the subject over the years, and am convinced that Aaron Kosminski or someone fitting a similar profile was JTR. The royal/freemason conspiracy theory has been thoroughly debunked, and I think all the letters ("From Hell", "Dear Boss", etc.) were all fakes by journalists or other parties. If anyone wants to read up on JTR, I'd highly recommend these two books:

Jack the Ripper and the Case for Scotland Yard's Prime Suspect by Robert House

Naming Jack the Ripper by Russell Edwards

We also recently discussed JTR in a Water Cooler thread: The Identity of Jack the Ripper Finally Revealed

Jack the Ripper became a legend because he was the first serial killer of the newspaper medium.