• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do Date Stamps make keys less desirable?

100 posts in this topic

I had no idea so many collectors LOVE date stamps...

anything hand-written... I can see how that isn't so appealing... but I don't mind it if it's small, and doesn't interfere with artwork...

names written on the cover - forget it

Names can be provenance.

JIM116FMay65.jpg

Love date stamps especially when placed strategically on books, and don't mind some hand written WHITE MOUNTAINS :cloud9:

I had no idea so many collectors LOVE date stamps...

anything hand-written... I can see how that isn't so appealing... but I don't mind it if it's small, and doesn't interfere with artwork...

names written on the cover - forget it

Names can be provenance.

JIM116FMay65.jpg

I would rather have a clean unstamped book.

As far as provenance, I don't care if little Johnny owned the book when he was 6.

I like date stamps but I don't like seeing the date stamp smeared. I'm seeing a lot of smeared date stamps lately. I suspect it is the result of an aggressive press. CGC should hammer a smeared date stamp.

I like date stamps but I don't like seeing the date stamp smeared. I'm seeing a lot of smeared date stamps lately. I suspect it is the result of an aggressive press. CGC should hammer a smeared date stamp.

I like the way you think (thumbs u

I hate them

I love them :luhv:

I too love them.

They remind me of when I was buying those silver age books as a kid. It also tells me that these books were once owned by someone and not a warehouse find.

I will buy them all day long.

I really like clear date stamps, and the older the book the more I like them. Part of the history of the comic, and the publishing industry.

TQ42dNC.jpg

They don't bother me in the least. Neither do star stamps, little kid names or unobtrusive doodles. These are 50-75 year old paper artifacts, in some cases they are lucky to have survived at all, and these sort of "defects" tell us where the book has been and the road it has traveled through time.

If I want a flawless, cookie cutter book there are plenty of cr@ppy late bronze age, copper and modern comics to choose from with hundreds or thousands of identical looking slabbed 9.8's out there. :ohnoez:

-J.