• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"My Dad has a box of comics..."

39 posts in this topic

Posted this last night in Silver and people seem to be enjoying it there, so I thought I would share it here too. After all, it's the kind of thing we all wish for, but never seems to happen. Some of the books are now up on the grading pages.

A good friend of mine has been telling me for many years that her dad had a box of old comics from when he was a kid tucked away in a closet. Well, this summer he finally got around to some major housecleaning and downsizing. A couple months ago she gave me a call, said she had a box of his comics, asked if I'd take a look, help her figure out if they were worth anything, and possibly help her sell them. Of course I said yes!

Another friend of mine who collects comics came over the same night and we had a blast going through the box! These are all comics that he bought as a kid, from the local newsstand. Lots and lots of low grade DCs, a bunch of coverless that aren't pictured here, and a surprisingly low number of Marvels, but as you can see, a couple real gems.

I thought I'd share most of the collection below. Keep scrolling, it keeps getting better!

I'll be posting more detailed scans and pics of some of the better books in the Buddy Can You Spare a Grade section. I've also let these sit far too long, I need to start selling them for her dad--especially considering he needs a new furnace, and that's no small thing in WI in January! So, I plan on getting a selling thread started early part of the week. Literally everything is technically for sale, but most of the books in the first 5 photos are very low grade, and probably not worth listing on here.

003-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

007.jpg

010-1.jpg

The lowest of the low grades:

013-1.jpg

But it does get a bit better:

017.jpg

020.jpg

And better yet:

027.jpg

038.jpg

Bam! Right there with the last picture an awesome key Silver Age comic.

Regardless of that I really enjoy the covers to the comics that are not key issues as I see them as art that is not seen as much due to lack of popularity but the covers still rock!

wow thats what I hope to see when someone tells me about their 'box of comics'-that usually ends up being 90s drek

Except recently I made a decent score

Wow, what a great story! Father and daughter should be really excited. Aside from the nice keys, how cool is it to have a parent's original collection that was loved and put together with care. Thanks for sharing! My dad collected in the early 40s...mainly Action, Superman, Tecs and Archie books.........like most, his mother threw them out (along with his baseball cards from the same era) when he moved away to school. :cry:

but most of the books in the first 5 photos are very low grade, and probably not worth listing on here.

You should list them anyway. There are plenty of people here that are looking for low grade for fillers or even just to be able to read them. One time I listed a bunch of low grade Superman and Action that all got sold.