• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"My Dad has a box of comics..."

39 posts in this topic

Wow, what a great story! Father and daughter should be really excited. Aside from the nice keys, how cool is it to have a parent's original collection that was loved and put together with care. Thanks for sharing! My dad collected in the early 40s...mainly Action, Superman, Tecs and Archie books.........like most, his mother threw them out (along with his baseball cards from the same era) when he moved away to school. :cry:

Same thing happened to my Dad, but it was more like early 50s, and he was a big Harvey Kurtzman fan, so he took his Mads and complete run of Humbug with him when he went to college. So they survived, but his mother tossed all the others.

both the Strange tales 110 and TOS39 look to be in great shape

Either of those These two books should pay for the furnace! :applause:

Fixed that for you.

Great score and congrats to the original owner! Always amazing to find something tucked away that serves to get you something you really need. Who says comics aren't liquid?

Accidentally spammed the "Buddy Can You Spare a Grade" page yesterday--I didn't realize there was a three-books-per-day limit, so I quit after a while. Will be putting a couple more up today, but I thought people would enjoy the following, so will just add it here.

As we went through the collection my friend who also came over had the thrill of actually pulling the TOS 39 out of the box. Shortly thereafter I had the understatement of the night when I pulled out the Strange Tales 110 and said something like, "This one could be ok, I think it is the first Dr Strange."

Anyway, we finally came across this really nice looking DD #2 (but alas the was no DD #1), which at first impression is really pretty looking, beautiful, deep colors and hardly any wear at all. At first, we thought this cool little second issue might be the best condition book of the whole batch.

But, first impressions can be deceiving. Can anyone spot the defect that brings it way down?

dd2001.jpg

dd2bk001.jpg

(I'll be back with the follow up photo later tonight. Putting the ST 110 and a couple others on the grading thread.)

WHY is it always the best book that has the damage? The collection I recently bought had almost all F condition books. The luke cage #1-POOR

Yep, knew you guys would probably spot it. It was much less obvious when first found after having rested in a big pile in a big box for 45+ years!

The cover was sliced with a razor like it was going to be stripped for return, but the top section was never torn off. So not only was the book pretty severely damaged, but the poor retailer never got his 6 cent refund!

The slice also goes through the first couple pages too, but it is all there.

024.jpg

Yep, knew you guys would probably spot it. It was much less obvious when first found after having rested in a big pile in a big box for 45+ years!

The cover was sliced with a razor like it was going to be stripped for return, but the top section was never torn off. So not only was the book pretty severely damaged, but the poor retailer never got his 6 cent refund!

The slice also goes through the first couple pages too, but it is all there.

024.jpg

This is how my Amazing Fantasy #15 looked, except the cut piece was gone.....returned for refund :( At least that book could still be repaired maybe