• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What book/author do you LOVE that few boardies would know about?

72 posts in this topic

Sorry I had too ! I love Adora Belle Dearheart from the diskworld :)

I knew the quote (never seen the live action films or videogames or animated films) but I couldn't place her lol

But got it now ;) Going Postal was a good one. I prefer the older books though. I think Mort and Pyramids are still among my top 5 favorite

Drood by Dan Simmons

Historical Fiction/Mystery with elements of gothic horror. Premiss is that the title character of Charles Dickens' last, incomplete novel may have been an actual person and that Wilkie Collins, Dickens' associate/professional competitor, is driven to attemp murdering both Dickens and Drood.

Not quite Stephen King, but it's got it's creepy moments, written in the style of a Victorian novel, there's a "twist" that's fairly easy to spot early on in the book but I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Awhile back it made one of Entertainment Weekly's Top 100 lists, if that means anything. Regardless, I highly recommend it.

Simmons also wrote The Terror which is also historical fiction with supernatural horror elements. That one is good too but I didn't like it as much as Drood.

Sorry I had too ! I love Adora Belle Dearheart from the diskworld :)

I knew the quote (never seen the live action films or videogames or animated films) but I couldn't place her lol

But got it now ;) Going Postal was a good one. I prefer the older books though. I think Mort and Pyramids are still among my top 5 favorite

most of the movies are drek "though I own them all"

Going postal is the exception :) I highly recommend it :)

but I have to admit this scene from hogfather is a favorite

Our very own Christian Slade,board member Darth corgi. "Korgi" book 1-3

Another one is from a board member I personally admire.Tom Moore- Tequila Tales An Anthology of Short Fiction. You really feel the naked truth on the story of his childhood.

Check em out!

Hey everyone,

So I'm on the verge of finishing up Del Toro/Hogan's The Strain trilogy (better late than never) and was in my local Barnes & Noble browsing titles new and old seeking inspiration for what next to read, overwhelmed at the sheer volume of choice.

Rather than go with something tried-and-true, I'd be interested in discovering a new author/book that might be relatively unknown but has some solid recommendations behind it from fellow genre fans, so I turn to you all for your picks on who/what is AWESOME, but also is quite possibly unknown to myself or the masses.

My tastes run the gamut but in general I like horror/crime/humor/suspense/fantasy/detective stuff, maybe not so much SF, but I'd still like to get your picks for anything, regardless.

I'll start: of course I'm sure many of you will already be familiar with Joe R. Lansdale, but if you aren't, check out any of his short story collections - they're mind-bendingly amazing. Sanctified and Chicken-Fried is great. I was first turned onto Lansdale when I saw the film Bubba Ho-Tep a few years back; I couldn't believe I had never heard of such a prolific author who recalled to me the voice of Richard Matheson infused with helium - just twisted fun.

But enough from me. Whatcha got?

Ever read Andrew Vachss' Burke series?

Hey everyone,

So I'm on the verge of finishing up Del Toro/Hogan's The Strain trilogy (better late than never) and was in my local Barnes & Noble browsing titles new and old seeking inspiration for what next to read, overwhelmed at the sheer volume of choice.

Rather than go with something tried-and-true, I'd be interested in discovering a new author/book that might be relatively unknown but has some solid recommendations behind it from fellow genre fans, so I turn to you all for your picks on who/what is AWESOME, but also is quite possibly unknown to myself or the masses.

My tastes run the gamut but in general I like horror/crime/humor/suspense/fantasy/detective stuff, maybe not so much SF, but I'd still like to get your picks for anything, regardless.

I'll start: of course I'm sure many of you will already be familiar with Joe R. Lansdale, but if you aren't, check out any of his short story collections - they're mind-bendingly amazing. Sanctified and Chicken-Fried is great. I was first turned onto Lansdale when I saw the film Bubba Ho-Tep a few years back; I couldn't believe I had never heard of such a prolific author who recalled to me the voice of Richard Matheson infused with helium - just twisted fun.

But enough from me. Whatcha got?

Ever read Andrew Vachss' Burke series?

I haven't... But apart from To Kill a Mockingbird, admittedly I'm discovering a ton of titles and authors in this thread, and am intrigued by all of them!

Compiling a great reading list so far... Keep the suggestions coming!

If you've never read Stephen King, and don't think you'd be a fan, read "Gerald's Game." It isn't your typical horror book - it really isn't a horror book at all, for the most part. There is no house to come alive that eats people, no mystical gunslinger, it is more of a psychological thriller, set from a woman's point of view. King has been accused of ripping off his wife's work, the "tone" of the woman's POV is so strong.

Even if you never read another S. King book afterward, I strongly recommend this one. It's another book I have owned more than once in my life, and given away to someone so they can read it.

:)

-slym

If you've never read Stephen King, and don't think you'd be a fan, read "Gerald's Game." It isn't your typical horror book - it really isn't a horror book at all, for the most part. There is no house to come alive that eats people, no mystical gunslinger, it is more of a psychological thriller, set from a woman's point of view. King has been accused of ripping off his wife's work, the "tone" of the woman's POV is so strong.

Even if you never read another S. King book afterward, I strongly recommend this one. It's another book I have owned more than once in my life, and given away to someone so they can read it.

:)

-slym

It's funny, I've listened to a bunch of Stephen King audio books at work and I think my two favorites are Deloris Claiborne and Joyland, neither of which are really horror books. Go figure.

I'll have to see if the library has Gerald's Game on audio book.

Staying in the comic world... Wild Cards series edited by George R.R. Martin.

Outside of comic content...

The Second Apocalypse by Bakker

Winter's Tale by Helprin (recently made into a terrible movie)

Also, previously someone mentioned Dan Simmons great novel Drood... if you've never read his stuff, check out his far more well-known Hyperion Cantos too.

Ahh. Perhaps THIS is what kav was talking about.

Wet Moon, Volume 1: Feeble Wanderings (Wet Moon #1)

by Ross Campbell

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81 · rating details · 770 ratings · 77 reviews

An unusually usual day-to-day story in the Deep South, set in the gothic, swampy southern town of Wet Moon, a place fraught with lousy love lives, teen angst, and shadowy rednecks. As Cleo Lovedrop heads off for college at the local art school, she's haunted by her melancholic past: a lost love, a lost child. Friends and enemies live their lives around her

Evidently the first of several volumes.

Wet Moon was so incredible I sought out the artist and bought several OA pages. He's an interesting character and writes the best dialogue I have ever read. I asked him if it was stuff he had overheard and he said some of it was based on conversations but basically it was all his writing. Just incredible.

I interviewed him for Champion City Comics:

http://www.championcitycomics.com/2012/03/interview-with-ross-campbell.html

Here's one of my OA pages:

wet+3.jpg

the Flashman series by George MacDonald Fraser.

All of them. They are all gold. Flashman is basically a cowardly drunken womaniser who ends up being involved in pretty much every major event in the Victorian era, usually by accident.

flashman.jpg

This is a bit outside the typical fare for what might be expected as a recommendation on this board but I cant endorse Alan Furst strongly enough. He writes historical fiction primarily in the time leading up to World War 2 and they all take place in Europe. They are stories about unsung heroes who are usually caught up in circumstances they never intended, there are spies, murderers and just common people who all rub up against each other in troubled times. You can read the books in any order but several characters and places do repeat, The World At Night might be a great one to start with though.