• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you handle PM's from members wanting to buy what you have posted?

87 posts in this topic

Also a good point. I have gotton a lot of very cool posts from boardies who get what I'm trying to do. Most everybody here has been real supportative so I don't want to turn off the PMs if at all possible. Your last comment is rather grim I guess to me. I lurked on these boards for a long time and thought It was high time I "gave back". I would like to stay here so we can all have some fun so maybe I need to grow a pair and let it ride.

"Sorry, not for sale."

If they persist, vacate the PM thread, and put them on ignore, so they can't PM you.

If you don't want to deal with PMs at all, you can turn them off completely.

Easy, cheesy.

Finally...and this is a tough one, I know...don't share what you have.

If you don't want the PMs, and none of the rest of the above works for you, it's the last resort. If the other options work for you, no problem.

They are all options; you should pick the one that works best for you. You did ask for suggestions, no..?

hm

Hi Guys and Gals!

Robotman here. New to the boards. Being a vintage guy, I mainly post over in Gold. I started a thread there to introduce comic collectors to stuff a little outside the world of comic books. I am a comic book collector and do show some of them as well.

I get a lot of well wishers but I get a LOT of people asking me if items are for sale. I am a collector and just want people to have fun seeing what else is out there. I am NOT selling.

I can be a little snarky (is kinds why I've stayed outta here). And started out being nice with a relpy like "sorry it's not for sale". Then I got a little anoyed and started saying stuff like "If it was for sale, it would be in the sales thread" or in the Immortal words of the Steve Miller Band: "Your Cash Ain't Nothing but Trash". and a few other snarky coments.

Some of these requests are really down right rude like "How much for the _____". Is this something I should get used to? I've just gotton to the point of deleting the request.

How do you guys handle this?

Thanks!

thanks for the PM reply robot man, items not for sale. welcome to the boards. (thumbs u

Not showing what you have collected and share with others is just burying your head in the sand.I love to see what attracts other collectors to do what they do and it amazes me.Just put your PM on off if it bothers you so much ,but it is also a good way to meet others with like interests :blahblah:

:popcorn:

Not showing what you have collected and share with others is just burying your head in the sand.I love to see what attracts other collectors to do what they do and it amazes me.Just put your PM on off if it bothers you so much ,but it is also a good way to meet others with like interests :blahblah:

What YOU got? :popcorn:

Nothing.

:whistle:

Didn't realize a valid suggestion in a thread asking for suggestions would be offensive to anyone, but....it's the CGC board.

:cloud9:

I get some occasional offers and frankly, I take it as a compliment. At this point in my collecting life, I would much prefer a good trade offer vs a cash offer. The 'not for sale but will trade' leaves the door open for discussion. While not often, this approach can lead to a win/win situation, sometimes even a friendship.

Nothing.

:whistle:

Didn't realize a valid suggestion in a thread asking for suggestions would be offensive to anyone, but....it's the CGC board.

:cloud9:

You kidder you.Actually I was asking comicjack. I know what you have. (worship)

Hi Guys and Gals!

Robotman here. New to the boards. Being a vintage guy, I mainly post over in Gold. I started a thread there to introduce comic collectors to stuff a little outside the world of comic books. I am a comic book collector and do show some of them as well.

I get a lot of well wishers but I get a LOT of people asking me if items are for sale. I am a collector and just want people to have fun seeing what else is out there. I am NOT selling.

I can be a little snarky (is kinds why I've stayed outta here). And started out being nice with a relpy like "sorry it's not for sale". Then I got a little anoyed and started saying stuff like "If it was for sale, it would be in the sales thread" or in the Immortal words of the Steve Miller Band: "Your Cash Ain't Nothing but Trash". and a few other snarky coments.

Some of these requests are really down right rude like "How much for the _____". Is this something I should get used to? I've just gotton to the point of deleting the request.

How do you guys handle this?

Thanks!

First off, welcome to the boards!

I would encourage you to stay on the boards. Once people recognize the books really are not for sale they will back off.

In fact, this reminds me of when BangZoom joined the boards. I bet he too was inundated with unwanted offers. I don't know him personally but you might benefit by having a Private Message conversation with BangZoom.

You can put a 'Not for sale at any price' at the top of your posts so there will be little doubt. That still will not stop someone from trying....but it should stop most in their tracks. Imgaine its a book that you really wanted. Wouldnt it be a shame not to try at least even if its clear as day thats its not for sale ?

Its the nature of the hobby, most of us come to the forum to learn and get to know fellow collectors and that same someone wanting to buy your book may become a friend or even someone you buy from.

chill...life sucks as it is

I'm more impressed that you have 145 posts in 9 days. :eek:

I just politely say sorry they're not for sale,but thank you for asking. (thumbs u

I think kav had 5k by that point.

How many times you gonna say basically the same thing? This is like # 45 in your broken record hitlist

WE GET IT

:baiting:

I'm more impressed that you have 145 posts in 9 days. :eek:

I just politely say sorry they're not for sale,but thank you for asking. (thumbs u

I think kav had 5k by that point.

How many times you gonna say basically the same thing? This is like # 45 in your broken record hitlist

WE GET IT

:baiting:

Any way I only had 4K

I've only had it happen a couple of times, but with books that mean a lot to me and which I don't want to sell, so I just say that I'm a fan of the artist, character and / or storyline and that it's a keeper.