• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you handle PM's from members wanting to buy what you have posted?

87 posts in this topic

I would not put a crazy high price on anything as that encourages someone to counter or haggle.

Keep it simple-- put in your signature line "Nothing I show is for sale and all offers or request for a price will be ignored. "

if you do decide to respond, you can cut and paste that response from your own signature or just use "Nothing I have is for sale or trade and all further offers will be deleted. "

Good point. Maybe I'm just being a whiner. I didn't do this for compliments. There are people on here that really make me look like a piker! I don't have any ego here. Somebody will always have a bigger PP. It's just a lot of fun so far. Your suggestions have all been very appreciated.

I get some occasional offers and frankly, I take it as a compliment. At this point in my collecting life, I would much prefer a good trade offer vs a cash offer. The 'not for sale but will trade' leaves the door open for discussion. While not often, this approach can lead to a win/win situation, sometimes even a friendship.

No one cares about my stuff. Guess my tastes are far away from most.

I'm in this club and love it. There are hardly any members who know what I am talking about and they ignore me too.

I love this place :cloud9:

I usually play music on Friday night.
if you think "How much for the ____ " is rude, hang out in the General forum on a Friday night.

Goes well with the gnashing of teeth and wails

is any book really 'not for sale'?

Like, if someone offered a billion dollars for action #1, the guy would say, no thanks?

you aren't being a whiner. I enjoy reading your thread. It would be kind of annoying to have people ignore your consistent statements about things not being for sale. I'm about 1/6 of the way through that massive thread by bangzoom and it amazes me how often someone brings up things that have been asked a bunch of times or the questions about pedigree or if stuff is for sale.

That is on the people ignoring your statements, not you.

Like, if someone offered a billion dollars for action #1, the guy would say, no thanks?

Mine wouldn't be for sale for that much unless proof was undeniable.

And if it was you, they would be worth twice as much lol

Just kiddin ;)

I'd take a billion

I'm talking cold hard cash or a wire transfer where your bank confirms yes sir your available balance is one billion dollars

I'm talking cold hard cash or a wire transfer where your bank confirms yes sir your available balance is one billion dollars

In all honesty if I absolutely had to sell my collection, I wouldn't have a chance in hell to get what I paid for them, let alone a profit.

Which is why they will never ever be sold while I am alive

In all honesty if I absolutely had to sell my collection, I wouldn't have a chance in hell to get what I paid for them, let alone a profit.

Hey you never know what books might suddenly become key-your collection could jump in value.

Hey you never know what books might suddenly become key-your collection could jump in value.

Serious doubts. I have eclectic tastes

That argument is sort of a red herring because nobody is going to offer 1,000 times fair market value for a book.

Most of my books are not for sale for anything close to fair market value. I'm a very picky collector, and I've put a ton of time into finding books I like. If someone offered me 2 times fmv, the answer would still be no for most of my books. If somebody offered me 10 times fmv, I'd be very wary because that never happens except perhaps with very inexpensive books (like $1 books). I'd actually be afraid that the person would try to come after me in court later for a refund on the basis of the deal not being equitable.

You just have to ignore them...

P.S: PM me if the Tales of Terror Annual #1 is for sale....

Just kidding!!!! You're collection is awesome, just roll with it and don't answer PMs unless it's someone you were having a conversation with in-thread...

My suggestion? That guy that hit you with that cheesy "Everyone's got a price... what's yours?"

From now on, every time someone asks you if a book is for sale, say "Sorry, I just sold it to (insert name of snarky guy here). He asked me to keep the transaction quiet so please don't tell anyone else!"

That'll kill two birds with one stone, so to speak!

That's classic! I can tell you have the same warped sense of humor that I do. Dare I ask who the snarkiest one on the boards is? Never mind please don't answer. I don't want to start a war here.

My suggestion? That guy that hit you with that cheesy "Everyone's got a price... what's yours?"

From now on, every time someone asks you if a book is for sale, say "Sorry, I just sold it to (insert name of snarky guy here). He asked me to keep the transaction quiet so please don't tell anyone else!"

That'll kill two birds with one stone, so to speak!