• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

take a better look!

30 posts in this topic

consider me clueless. Something about the guys Batman comic disturb you all? It a one of a kind never seen before?

What is an ashcan anyways?

Ashcans were used to secure the rights to the title. They were hastily made, using remaindered interiors, previously used art for the covers and the new title on the cover. In some cases the cover art may have been new art, I'm not really sure if it was always used cover art.

Fawcett lost out to DC when DC secured the rights to Flash Comics first, causing Fawcett to rename their comic line Whiz Comics, if I remember correctly.

What a funny read this thread has been. My 2 cents. I think it's great that you have a really nice near mint, pristine white, no creases ashcan of a great cover with shiny white staples that's over 50 years old. Maybe it was kept in the Church collection and just "overlooked" when cataloging. Prove it up or put it back where it came from. On second thought, keep it in the restroom for light reading. The book shouldn't be condition sensitive when it comes to it's immeasurable value as it is the "only copy".

And the raven, never flitting, still is sitting, still is sitting

On the pallid bust of Pallas just above my chamber door;

And his eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming.

And the lamplight o'er him streaming throws his shadow on the floor;

And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor

Shall be lifted---nevermore!

There's no escape... is there?