• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Follow up: Rank the Silver/Bronze Pedis

67 posts in this topic

I guess that ranking these premier OO collections depends on one's area of concentration, and also what each of us knows about them.

Going by the early Silver Age keys from both Marvel and DC, the White Mountain would have to rank highly. In contrast, I know virtually nothing about the earliest DC Curators, while the Pacific Coast books have astounding structure dating back only to the very end of '62, and the Mass ten cent DCs that I've seen are mostly no better than VF/NM. If it's the earliest FFs you crave, then the Slobodian collection (not accepted by CGC unfairly, I believe) ranks highly, but I know nothing about the ten cent DCs from this collection.

I totally agree with your first comment, which is very astute, and I realize that my picks were dictated by what I have bought, and, therefore, only those pedigrees that contain those comics would come under my radar, so to speak.

As for Calvin Slobodian's collection, do you know why it was not designated as a pedigree?

What I have heard is that, like the Cleveland books, not all his comics were original owner books and that some even had restoration to them. Again, like my knowledge of the Cleveland collection, this is not factual; it's just "what I've heard."

Joe

As for Calvin Slobodian's collection, do you know why it was not designated as a pedigree?

What I have heard is that, like the Cleveland books, not all his comics were original owner books and that some even had restoration to them. Again, like my knowledge of the Cleveland collection, this is not factual; it's just "what I've heard."

Joe

It is my understanding that a very small handful of Slobodian early Silver Age books may have been purchased secondhand - I would think it would be a simple matter for Mr. Slobodian to identify these books for CGC. As for restoration, the only instance I know of is the X-Men 2. Based on this, I see no compelling reason to deny the collection status as a Pedigree. As for the quality of the collection, a post from the good Captain some time ago noted the astounding quality of many of the earliest Marvels from the collection - he's got the Hulk 4 (9.6) in the "vault" on his website for everyone's perusal.

The problem with Slobodian's books is that first of all, he's been buying/selling for years. So it's his word as to what books are still original owner purchased off the newstand. He may not even know for sure what he owns that's still originally purchased by him. He also did minor restoration to some of his books in the.. 90's, I believe?

The Cleveland collection isn't recognized largely due to their being no master list. I also don't believe the collection contains any GA books.

Brian

As for restoration, the only instance I know of is the X-Men 2.

And a nice key that I bought from him, and called the same day it arrived and asked if there was a color touch. No, of course not.

Seven years later, PLOD (very small color touch).

Christo_pull_hair.gif

Lost all respect for him. mad.gif

My list is based on ASMs..

1. Curator

2. Pacific Coast

3. Massachusetts

4. Western Penn (haven't seen many of the early ASMs)

5. Northland

6. Oakland

7. "Golden State"

8. "Cleveland"

9. Ohio

10. Winnipeg

I'd rank some others but I've only seen a few ASMs from a lot of the other pedigrees.

Brian

1. Curator

2. Pacific Coast

3. White Mountain

4. Mass.

5. Northland

6. Western Penn

7. Boston

8. Oakland

9. Diamond Run

10. Ohio

Honorable Mention: Golden State. It’s a phenomenal collection that would be 7th on my list if it were recognized by CGC.

And this would be from a man that knows. hail.gif

And based solely on Silver-Age Marvel's, I probably would agree 100%.

My only problem with that list is the Diamond Run. I've never found any solid detailed information about the collection at all, and the few books I've seen must be the leftovers. confused-smiley-013.gif

My only problem with that list is the Diamond Run. I've never found any solid detailed information about the collection at all, and the few books I've seen must be the leftovers. confused-smiley-013.gif

Yeah, like the stinky Diamond Run Amazing Fantasy #15

poke2.gif

Seriously, I'm with you. I know very little about the Diamond Run books.

Yeah, like the stinky Diamond Run Amazing Fantasy #15

poke2.gif

Seriously, I'm with you. I know very little about the Diamond Run books.

Never seen it. Seriously. confused-smiley-013.gif

Notice that it's in an "old" style CGC holder without hard inner well walls. Notice the lack of slab damage. Notice the staples not being pulled through the cover.

amazfant.jpg

I don't know much about the Diamond Run pedigree either. But I was fishing for pedigrees to fill out spots 9 and 10 on my very unscientific list. So I figured any collection that sports a NM copy of AF 15 is ok in my book. I think I remember the collection having high grade copies of JIM 83 and Sgt. Fury 1 too. Can anyone confirm this?

Curator (10)

Pacific Coast (3)

Green River

Western Penn (7)

Northland (5)

Bowling Green (9)

Winnipeg (8)

White Mountain (6)

Boston (4)

Oakland

Ohio

Bethlehem (1)

Circle 8

Diamond Run

Massachusetts (2)

MH2

Big Apple

I think I remember the collection having high grade copies of JIM 83 and Sgt. Fury 1 too. Can anyone confirm this?

The JIM #83 is the one that's been sold about five times over the past year and a half. It's a CGC 9.0 but has a clear almost one inch corner crease.

1. Curator

2. Pacific Coast

3. White Mountain

4. Mass.

5. Northland

6. Western Penn

7. Boston

8. Oakland

9. Diamond Run

10. Ohio

Honorable Mention: Golden State. It’s a phenomenal collection that would be 7th on my list if it were recognized by CGC.

I'd like to know more about the Curators, though. We all know the ASM 1 is a 9.6, and the X-Men 1 is a 9.8, and FF 2-whatever are not slabbed and in the hands of someone in the comic industry. And we know that of the copies that have been publicly displayed, many have been mindblowing. But what about the other keys from this pedigree? FF 1? IH 1? JIM 83? TOS 39? TTA 27, 35? ST 110? And DCs? If these keys are of the same quality as the ASM 1 and X-Men 1, then I think there would be little dispute that it's the top SA pedigree, as Pacific Coast's primary weakness is the lower grade of several of the top early Marvel keys.

I'd like to know more about the Curators, though. We all know the ASM 1 is a 9.6, and the X-Men 1 is a 9.8, and FF 2-whatever are not slabbed and in the hands of someone in the comic industry. And we know that of the copies that have been publicly displayed, many have been mindblowing. But what about the other keys from this pedigree? FF 1? IH 1? JIM 83? TOS 39? TTA 27, 35? ST 110? And DCs? If these keys are of the same quality as the ASM 1 and X-Men 1, then I think there would be little dispute that it's the top SA pedigree, as Pacific Coast's primary weakness is the lower grade of several of the top early Marvel keys.

And we can add to this list of Curators Marvel Tales #1 in 9.6 white.

I noticed also that John Hauser has some freshly-slabbed Curators on ebay right now.

Joe

Link:

Curators on eBay