• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Follow up: Rank the Silver/Bronze Pedis

67 posts in this topic

I'd like to know more about the Curators, though. We all know the ASM 1 is a 9.6, and the X-Men 1 is a 9.8, and FF 2-whatever are not slabbed and in the hands of someone in the comic industry. And we know that of the copies that have been publicly displayed, many have been mindblowing. But what about the other keys from this pedigree? FF 1? IH 1? JIM 83? TOS 39? TTA 27, 35? ST 110? And DCs? If these keys are of the same quality as the ASM 1 and X-Men 1, then I think there would be little dispute that it's the top SA pedigree, as Pacific Coast's primary weakness is the lower grade of several of the top early Marvel keys.

John Hauser told me he thought Harley Yee bought some of the Curators before he did, so Harley may know. I wrote Harley email about it early last year and got no response, but I didn't try to call him.

If Harley doesn't know, there are two other people someone could contact--either the Curator directly via Hauser, or the local comic shop owner who sold the books on behalf of the Curator. I asked John for info about contacting the LCS owner, but John didn't know his name and thought that his comic shop is now closed.

I noticed also that John Hauser has some freshly-slabbed Curators on ebay right now.

When I talked to Hauser early last year, he still had most of the Daredevils from 40-up and a ton of Curator Bronze books. He didn't get some of the major Bronze titles like Spidey, but he had a bunch of other Bronze and Copper books that CGC wouldn't give the pedigree nod to.

I didn't understand that when he told me...CGC gave the pedigree nod to Western Penn Bronze books, so why not Curator Bronze? confused-smiley-013.gif Maybe the ones he has are late Bronze...has anyone seen CGC put a pedigree designation on any books past 1975?

1. Curator

2. Pacific Coast

3. White Mountain

4. Mass.

5. Northland

6. Western Penn

7. Boston

8. Oakland

9. Diamond Run

10. Ohio

Honorable Mention: Golden State. It’s a phenomenal collection that would be 7th on my list if it were recognized by CGC.

Just as a follow up, if you include Silver-Age from 1956-1969, then White Mountain is the king. It really is the Edgar Chuch (Mile High) of 50's/60's books as not only does it have quality but it has quantity. Even from a SA Marvel perspective it has AF #15, ASM #1, TOS #39, JIM #83 all in CGC 9.4 to 9.6.

While the PC does have a lot of DC's, it only starts in 1962, which means it misses 7 years of the SA.

Just my two cents.

I'd just like to update my list, after looking over some Circle 8 ASMs. I would definately put that pedigree in the top 8 or so from what I've seen. Obviously it would drop down if the runs weren't complete, but I'm pretty sure they were?

Brian

Just as a follow up, if you include Silver-Age from 1956-1969, then White Mountain is the king. It really is the Edgar Chuch (Mile High) of 50's/60's books as not only does it have quality but it has quantity. Even from a SA Marvel perspective it has AF #15, ASM #1, TOS #39, JIM #83 all in CGC 9.4 to 9.6.

While the PC does have a lot of DC's, it only starts in 1962, which means it misses 7 years of the SA.

Just my two cents.

When you look at it that way, I think you're absolutely right. The depth of the White Mountain collection is fantastic.

But if I had the opportunity to choose between the same book in the same grade and my choices were a White Mountain, a Pacific Coast, or a Curator copy, I'd choose a Curator copy most every time. They're so fresh. They've got great colors, great gloss, and no tanning. They probably look a lot like they did the day they were put on the newsstand. I don't think you can say that about most other pedigrees. From the books I’ve seen, I think only Mass and Boston books show as few signs of age as the Curators.

That being said, I’d still be happy to own a lot more Pacific Coasts and White Mountains and Northlands and…

From the books I’ve seen, I think only Mass and Boston books show as few signs of age as the Curators. That being said, I’d still be happy to own a lot more Pacific Coasts and White Mountains and Northlands and…

Can a get an AMEN, to that!!! hail.gif

What ped would be best for a Avengers and BA marvel horror collector?

looking for #20 on up for avengers, and Monsters of frankenstein/werewolf by night.

Thanks

KARL

For Avengers #20 up there are plenty of Pacific Coast (with a decent amount offered for sale over the past year or two).

For BA Horror Collectors, Oakland or Bowling Green would be good choices.

looking for #20 on up for avengers, and Monsters of frankenstein/werewolf by night.

Thanks

KARL

For Avengers #20 up there are plenty of Pacific Coast (with a decent amount offered for sale over the past year or two).

The Western Penn collection may also be good for BA Marvel horror. I believe it contains a few TOD and WWBN

Thanks

KARL

The Western Penn collection may also be good for BA Marvel horror. I believe it contains a few TOD and WWBN
Looking at Pedigree's former market reports i think Mass. will be good for WWBN foreheadslap.gif

Thanks

KARL

I seem to recall seeing a few White Mountain SA Avengers for sale recently. For BA horror, I think someone mentioned Western Penn already. Maybe Winnipeg also?

Thanks

KARL

I recall seeing pretty much all of the first half of TOD Western Penns at one time or another. Can't recall a #1 though. I had the #4 for a while and sold it to Sterling years ago.

Joe

Curator

Now cleaned, pressed and possibly trimmed to its 'full potential'

Pacific Coast

Green River

Western Penn

Northland

Bowling Green

Winnipeg

White Mountain

Boston

Oakland

Ohio

Bethlehem

Circle 8

Diamond Run

Massachusetts

MH2

Not worth cleaning, pressing and trimming, 'cause it's a bunch of arse.

Big Apple

Heritage & CGC BSD Enterprises, LLC

'The guardians of the future'