• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I Hate Stock Photos.

15 posts in this topic

A couple of my favorite things to do in the morning is poor a cup of coffee, and look at Group's posts, and the new Golden Age Listings on Ebay. This morning I had to put on my knee high boots and wade through tons of Stock Photos. It was an Archival nightmare. How can anybody buy a book, especially a Golden Age, without seeing it. Now don't get me wrong. I did it all the time in the 70's and 80's, from trusted dealers but in this day an age , Come on. It is not only, that you can not see the book, but a miss conception on the Quality of Book pictured in the stock photo. I am sure this has been brought up, but it hit a nerve this morning. Sigh....

I hear ya, nothing worse than not knowing what your buying. I may have passed on a few deals, but I simply cant buy from a seller that wont take the 5 secs needed to upload a proper pick of what they are selling

I just posted about this is the Form Guidelines Discussion Thread. I don't think stock photos should be allowed on Board Sales Thread. If you feel the same way perhaps you can comment......

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=80&Number=8313147&Searchpage=1&Main=80274&Words=&topic=0&Search=true#Post8313147

Cat... (tsk)

Yeah, I feel the same as Howard on this one. It's really annoying to see stock photos from dealers like My Comic Shop and Mile High. I know MCS already explained that they don't have the time to scan books that are under $10, but that's their business decision, and they are losing my business because of it. :sumo:

At first I was, what? Then :tonofbricks:lol

Yeah, I'm outraged! Posting this kinda stuff shouldn't be allowed here. Sellers using stock photos can't be trusted! :kidaround:

several-stock-certificates-in-pile.jpg

Seriously, I agree that stock photos are a non-starter. Would never buy from a listing a description without the book. My 2c

Cat... (tsk)

Yeah, I feel the same as Howard on this one. It's really annoying to see stock photos from dealers like My Comic Shop and Mile High. I know MCS already explained that they don't have the time to scan books that are under $10, but that's their business decision, and they are losing my business because of it. :sumo:

Does Mile High ever post actual photos on eBay? Some of the books they list I would be interested in, but not on the basis of a stock photo.

I just posted about this is the Form Guidelines Discussion Thread. I don't think stock photos should be allowed on Board Sales Thread. If you feel the same way perhaps you can comment......

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=80&Number=8313147&Searchpage=1&Main=80274&Words=&topic=0&Search=true#Post8313147

You never followed up your initial post by posting a link to the listing you were talking about.

They never have anything I want anyway... :roflmao:

The truth is, I get really tired of checking listings on eBay just to find out I can't see the actual book, so I've just stopped looking at MCS listings. It wastes my time, just like scanning a $10 book wastes their time. I have my favorite dealers that I buy from, and I only buy a few things on the bay once in awhile...my want list is pretty short now, and practically impossible to fill, so it's no big deal to ignore a few dealers that can't put up actual scans.

So, how is that cutting off my nose to spite my face...? If MCS ever lists one of my real wants, I'm sure they will post a scan because it will be more than a $10 book... :o But so far, I have never found anything I wanted either on their website or on their eBay listings.

I don't really have an issue with MCS - not scanning every book worth less than $10 is a very practical decision when you have that much inventory. I don't think Metropolis scans books that cheap either. And since MCS has a solid rep for grading, I wouldn't hesitate to buy books that cheap off them based solely on listed grade. Mile High, on the other hand has a horrible rep for grading, and their lack of interest in scanning anything just adds to an already bad impression.

I have no problem with MCS not scanning less than $10 books. As I stated. I would buy a lot of books from them if their consigners were more reasonable. because I is a cheap ars. . I did buy a book from them on Thursday. :o Now the other place is the one I have to wade through on their Golden Age Listing days and I like TriBrian never even take a peak.

I really don't think so. Brian, a good friend of mine, decided to post his opinion on Stock Photos. He did and you apparently don't agree. Which is fine, but your above statement is incorrect. If you like Golden Age, Post a few photos of your GA Collection in the, Have a Cigar Golden Age only thread. Check out the photos there. They are amazing. This would be much better start, than insulting a older member.

So, how is that cutting off my nose to spite my face...? If MCS ever lists one of my real wants, I'm sure they will post a scan because it will be more than a $10 book...

Ah, so you're just beyotching for no reason. Sounds pretty hypocritical to me.

No, I was just stating my opinion since this is a rant thread about stock photos. Since you are new here, you might want to think about who you start slamming right away for their opinions...if all you want is an argument and to make enemies, why don't you try hanging out in Comics General until you get the gist of how things work around here. GA is not a forum for trolls or trouble makers pal... (tsk)

:gossip: I'm guessing he's Stu.

So, how is that cutting off my nose to spite my face...? If MCS ever lists one of my real wants, I'm sure they will post a scan because it will be more than a $10 book...

Ah, so you're just beyotching for no reason. Sounds pretty hypocritical to me.

No, I was just stating my opinion since this is a rant thread about stock photos. Since you are new here, you might want to think about who you start slamming right away for their opinions...if all you want is an argument and to make enemies, why don't you try hanging out in Comics General until you get the gist of how things work around here. GA is not a forum for trolls or trouble makers pal... (tsk)

:gossip: I'm guessing he's Stu.

hm